Luke Skywalker and Yoda........

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Feb 25th 2003, 10:00 am

GaryEA wrote:Characters from the current trilogy will appear in the old, such as the footage of Natalie Portman shot during Episode II's production that will be inserted somewhere into the SE's.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was revealed to be false. You never know with the Lucas spin machine, but I'm almost positive I've read that that was only a rumour, and wasn't true.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 25th 2003, 8:08 pm

lance,

Thanks. It's a shame my post came out so short! :)

andrewgd,
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was revealed to be false. You never know with the Lucas spin machine, but I'm almost positive I've read that that was only a rumour, and wasn't true.
Never heard about it being debunked, so if I missed it, I apologize.

Then again, it's definitely possible - Boba Fett was never in Star Wars until the 1997 SE.

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

keeping finger crossed

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 10:10 pm

(Sigh)

Well ya never know maybe Lucas will read some the bad press he has received over this decision and maybe, just maybe, change his mind.

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Re: keeping finger crossed

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 11:51 am

lance wrote:(Sigh)

Well ya never know maybe Lucas will read some the bad press he has received over this decision and maybe, just maybe, change his mind.

Lance Man
Doubtful. Very doubtful. :?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 26th 2003, 11:58 am

The one detail I keep in mind is when Episode I was released to theaters, the DVD community was clamoring for news about the eventual home release, despite the fact that the OT/SE had yet to debut.

Lucas said no, there would be no DVD release of "Phantom Menace". Now my memory is hazy, but the Japanese laser disc came out along with the VHS editions, a full year(?) before Menace was released to DVD. I say a year because I had the VHS box set shrinkwrapped and sitting in a drawer for a long time while I waited for a definitive answer from the guy.

I'm just tossing this out there, only because it seems relavent. For all I know, Lucas burned all of his "drafts". :roll:

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 26th 2003, 2:47 pm

GaryEA wrote:The one detail I keep in mind is when Episode I was released to theaters, the DVD community was clamoring for news about the eventual home release, despite the fact that the OT/SE had yet to debut.

Lucas said no, there would be no DVD release of "Phantom Menace". Now my memory is hazy, but the Japanese laser disc came out along with the VHS editions, a full year(?) before Menace was released to DVD. I say a year because I had the VHS box set shrinkwrapped and sitting in a drawer for a long time while I waited for a definitive answer from the guy.

I'm just tossing this out there, only because it seems relavent. For all I know, Lucas burned all of his "drafts". :roll:

Gary
Of course there is always the possibility:

a) that like Disney products, he could decide to release the original triliogy on DVD for a limited time

-OR-

b) he could decide to play "the region game" and only release in one DVD region or another

Just speculatin here,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 26th 2003, 4:41 pm

lance wrote: b) he could decide to play "the region game" and only release in one DVD region or another
That works fine for me. I will take them in any region as long as they are widescreen and anamorphic would be sweet, but i wont be that upset if they aren't.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 26th 2003, 8:14 pm

lance wrote:b) he could decide to play "the region game" and only release in one DVD region or another
This tactic could really turn up the heat, or even backfire. If R1 consumers find out that Lucas offered the OT only to other countries, he'll either have to make them available here, or move to one of those countries to flee from furious fans.

It happened to a lesser degree when "The Phantom Headache" was available on laser disc, but only in Japan. So what, right? Well, at the time, laser was already on its way out, but companies continued to produce titles for the format because DVD was still a risk even though the sales looked fantastic.

American consumers bought a lot of copies of the laser disc to get a digital copy of the film. Less than a year later (I think), PM was on DVD.

The more I think about it, I really need a flowchart for this mess... :D

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 27th 2003, 9:35 am

GaryEA wrote:
lance wrote:b) he could decide to play "the region game" and only release in one DVD region or another
This tactic could really turn up the heat, or even backfire. If R1 consumers find out that Lucas offered the OT only to other countries, he'll either have to make them available here, or move to one of those countries to flee from furious fans.

It happened to a lesser degree when "The Phantom Headache" was available on laser disc, but only in Japan. So what, right? Well, at the time, laser was already on its way out, but companies continued to produce titles for the format because DVD was still a risk even though the sales looked fantastic.

American consumers bought a lot of copies of the laser disc to get a digital copy of the film. Less than a year later (I think), PM was on DVD.

The more I think about it, I really need a flowchart for this mess... :D

Gary
Gary,

When you get the chart finished, post a copy for the rest of us :D

Best,

Lance Man

eugeisia
Tino

Post by eugeisia » May 20th 2003, 7:01 pm

i dont understand how anyone could bash lucas, yes and even about jar jar. the man has given all of us so much, yet the general public still finds slandering his newest work a joyous occasion in some instances. it seems like everyone has forgotten what its like to be a kid and accept what is. so many have imagined what they would have liked the prequel story to be like that they left no room for the one man's vision that started the whole thing in the first place. it seems to me that noone takes anything into consideration, they instantly presume anyone could have written a better script, directed a better movie, and casted a better ensemble. when i hear this i couldn't disagree more. with the original trilogy, all lucas had to do was cast a group that worked well together... and let the characters develop into his vision. with the prequel story he had to find actors of correct age, eye coler, facial features, tones, etc. to match what earlier characters would have looked like, grew into, and gave birth to who knows who. but it all goes down the tube because the movie didn't meet the rediculously high standard that everyone placed on the film. i congratulate mr. lucas on what will always be to me the greatest story/adventure ever told. i think its sad that more people can't appreciate what he's infact given to them. which is five great movies (as of now) and what will be one superb story.