After 10 Plus Years?

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

After 10 Plus Years?

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 20th 2003, 6:40 pm

I got an idea to bring many of the characters back to Three Rivers for the Liberty High Class of 1997 ten year reunion. I haven't written anything for a very long time. However, it's been slow at work today, so I was able to just write out a few scenes. I've never written a screenplay before. Anyway, here is the two scenes.

Out of Darkness, Hope is Born

by

TomSpeed

AKA

Michael Waller

Part One -- The Invitation

Location: Clemson University, Clemson, SC. Outside Angela’s modest faculty apartment, early February.

(Angela is checking her mail. She is wearing a red sweater that matches her crimson-glow hair. Frost covers the lawn surrounding the mail kiosk. She opens an envelope. It is an invitation to her 10 year high school reunion.)

Angela VO* It’s amazing how when you know something is going to happen and you are still surprised when it happens. Like when a rainbow appears out of nowhere after a rainstorm. I knew I would eventually get an invitation to my tenth year high school reunion. But it's shocking to hold it in my hands.

[Cut to Angela in apartment talking on telephone to Patty.]

Angela – I’m not coming. There’s no way that I’m coming. Reunions are just a way to rub in that you are getting older.

Patty (in the Case living room, Three Rivers) – Honey, you are getting older.

Angela – Thanks, Mom. Really.

Patty – No problem. I’m not alone in the getting older department anymore. Your father simply refuses to age. He’s sickening sometimes.

Angela – I hate Dad sometimes. I really do.

Patty – Angela! You know you don’t hate your father. And, you know how much I hate hearing you say that. [Pause] The reunion is not until June, right? You have plenty of time to spruce yourself up a bit.

Angela – Thanks, Mom. It won't take me four months to get ready.

Patty – Plus, you are not teaching a seminar this summer. You have the time off. You should come home. See your friends.

Angela – I’ll think about it. I don’t want to make a decision now. I have papers to grade. I also have a class to teach in about [Angela looks at her wristwatch] a half an hour. I have to go.

Patty – You should think about coming home. Will you?

Angela – I will think about it. I can’t make any promises. Bye.

Patty – Bye, Angela.

Part Two -- Angela's Arrival

Location: Pittsburgh airport, middle of June. Angela is standing on the escalator as it brings her into the terminal. She is wearing dark black sunglasses. She sees Graham sitting down in a plastic chair reading the paper below her.

Angela VO* Some people always are stuck with the thankless job of picking up friends and relatives at the airport. In our family, Graham is the designated taxi driver.

(Graham looks up from his newspaper. He sees Angela approaching him. He folds the paper and gets to his feet.)

Graham – Angela! I’m so glad you decided to come. It’s been a long time. (He approaches Angela and hugs her.) How are you doing kiddo?

Angela – Dad, I’m 27 years old. I’m not a kiddo anymore. (She hugs him strongly. They part.)

Graham – You will always be a kiddo to me. (Graham and Angela walk towards the baggage claim area.) How long are you staying?

Angela – A week or two. I’m not sure.

Graham – Well, you are welcome to stay as long as you want. Your room is just the way you left it. I even moved all of my exercise equipment down to the basement. (Graham sees the luggage Patty and he bought Angela two years ago. He picks them up off of the conveyor belt.) I’m glad to see you are finally using the luggage we bought you.

(Angela and Graham are walking to the elevator that will take them to the terminal’s exit.)

Angela -- Dad, you didn’t tell anyone I was coming did you?

Graham – Only a few people: Rayanne, Sharon, Rickie, and your sister.

Angela -- Did you tell Brian?

Graham – Brian Krakow? No. I haven’t talked to Brian in a long time, honey.

Angela – Jordan?

Graham – I talked to Jordan last Saturday. He rebuilt the carburetor on the station wagon. I wasn’t sure you were coming home then.

(In the parking garage, Graham stops before a five or six year old red Saab convertible.)

Angela – This is your car?

Graham – Yes, it is my car. I picked it up a couple of months ago. Don’t you just love it?

Angela VO* It’s finally happened. Graham has had a midlife crisis. I knew it would happen one day.

Well, that's most of what I've done today. I'm not sure if it's good, bad, or ugly.

Edit #1 (03/01/03) -- I noticed I still had Danielle in Boston in this scene. I moved her back to Three Rivers. I put more emphasis on the fact that Graham and Patty bought Angela luggage.

Edit #2 (03/02/03) -- Title Added. The title comes from "Other People's Mothers."

Edit #3 (03/05/03) -- Added Titles to Parts.

Edit #4 (03/05/03) -- Named college where Angela teaches. OK, it's my alma mater. Clemson is less than one hour from Atlanta, GA.

Edit #5 (03/05/03) -- Cut some of Angela's VO* added cut to apartment.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 6th 2003, 6:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Feb 20th 2003, 7:06 pm

oh new fan fic! good concept, hope you finish it, i've read your analyses of the episodes and you always hvae some great theories that i haven't thought of.

i look forward to reading the rest of the it! :)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 21st 2003, 10:34 pm

What's challenging about this project is that I have to balance a lot of different things. The story cannot be that much about the past, but the past needs to show through the characters. Also, it cannot be too much about their current lives either. Anyway, I still haven't decided what Sharon is doing now. I have a feeling that Rayanne is still acting. And she might have a child, who has blocked the advancement of her career somewhat. However, Rayanne is still very upbeat. Rickie is another tough one. I really feel that Angela and Danielle move away from town. Angela goes to college. She decides she wants to teach Literature. She also writes. Danielle works for the Boston Celtics in public relations. Jordan owns a gas station and is an ace mechanic. Angela has had contact with all of them to some degree over the last 10 years or so. But, her trips home have become shorter as she pursues her own life. Brian is a mystery man. Word has it that he ditches the sax and takes up reporting and photography. I make it a point that Graham and Patty are still married. Their relationship continues to go strong. Patty is a little difficult for me to write about. I want to turn her into my mother. Anyway, all of the characters will probably talk in an unrecognizable Southern accent until about the third draft. Angela will have a Southern accent because she lives down South. It won't be that bad though. I promise.

Anyway, draft one is going up here. If I keep this thing to myself, I'm not going to finish it. That's how I've written, or not written, for the last 10 years. It will feel good to get actual stuff out there for people to see. Also, this fan fiction forum needs some action.

Anyway, here is the second installment.

Part Three -- Dinner with the Chases

Location: The Chase House. Dinnertime. Graham, Patty, Danielle, and Angela are sitting around the dining room table.

Danielle – Dale Carter hit three home runs last night. It was amazing. I knew that trade we did in the off season would pay off. I don’t want to guarantee the Pirates will make the Series this year or anything, but I would not be surprised if we won the division.

Graham – That’s great! I knew that trade would make things happen.

Angela – Danielle gets a PR job with the Pirates. Dad becomes a rabid baseball fan.

Graham – I’ve always like baseball. I used to play baseball at the Y.

Patty – When was the last time you went to the Y?

Graham – Patty, I don’t go to the Y because I have all of that exercise equipment.

Patty – Yes, you have all of that exercise equipment that you moved from Angela’s room to the basement.

Graham – I use it.

Danielle – Dad, I can get you a good price on a new free weights set.

Graham – You can’t have too many free weights.

Patty – So, Camille called me the other day. She told me you have a short story in the New Yorker. I had to go out and buy a copy. Why didn’t you tell us you had a story in the New Yorker? It’s a big deal.

Angela – It’s not a big deal, Mom. They liked it. They bought it.

Patty – You do this kind of thing all of the time. You are so secretive about your life. We have to pry things out of you.

Graham – Patty.

Patty – It’s OK. Angela hasn’t changed at all.

Angela – Mom.

Patty – We love you, Angela. We are proud of you. You just make it so hard for us to show you how much we care about you.

Angela – I know.

Patty – You live in South Carolina for heaven’s sake. That might as well be in South America.

Angela – You can fly down to visit, Mom. I hear you don’t need a passport, shots, or anything.

Patty – You don’t invite us.

Graham – Angela, I was thinking of inviting your friends to the restaurant on Friday night. It will give me a chance to show you how I redecorated, and you can have some food from the new menu.

Angela – That sounds nice. I mean, I don’t want you to go to any trouble.

Graham – Trouble? It will be no trouble at all. Anyway, when is the last time you stayed long enough to eat at the restaurant?

Patty – You fly in and fly out. It is great that you are staying a little while.

Part Four -- Phone Call for Jordan

Location: Chase house, late at night. Angela is in the living room, staring at the telephone.

Angela VO* How can you call someone after you haven’t spoken to someone for three years? What are you supposed to say? I can’t believe it’s been so long. What if he hangs up the phone? I think I would. I know I would. (She picks up the telephone’s handset and dials. The telephone rings.)

Jordan – Catalono.

Angela – Jordan?

Jordan – Angela? Damn. Where are you?

Angela – Home. I didn’t wake you, did I?

Jordan – No. I was up watching Letterman. You are here? In town? I’m coming over. Now.

Angela – No. Don’t come over. It’s late. My parents are asleep.

Jordan – You’re not in high school anymore. Who cares if you wake your parents? You won’t get grounded or anything.

Angela – That’s not the point. It is late. I’m not even sure why I called you.

Jordan – You called me because you want to see me.

Angela – I (Angela sees Graham coming down the stairway.) have to go. Don’t come over tonight. I have to go. (Angela hangs up the telephone.)

Graham – Hey, Angela. I thought I heard someone down here. Do you want something to eat? (Graham is carrying a recent issue of the New Yorker.)

Angela – Sure, Dad.

(Angela and Graham go into the kitchen. On the way, he casually drops the magazine on the dining room table. Graham takes some leftovers from the refrigerator. Angela sits at the table and idly starts to turn the pages. She opens the page to her story.)

Angela VO* The more things change, the more they stay the same. Jordan’s on the phone scheming to get over here. Dad’s heating something up in the microwave. I wonder sometimes why I chose to move so far away. Then, I remember that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Graham – I was hoping that you would have brought Shelby with you.

(Graham and Angela sit at the dining room table.)

Angela – Shelby?

Graham – How are you and Shelby getting along?

Angela – Dad.

Graham – (imitating an announcer’s voice) Graham Chase strikes out with the bases loaded.

Angela – You’ve been listening to Danielle too much.

Graham – I’m guilty. So, about Shelby…

(Angela throws her wadded up paper napkin at him.)

Angela – I refuse to tell.

Graham – You didn’t kill him, did you? This story [Points to Angela's story]
isn't autobiographical.

Angela – He was very much alive when I last saw him.

Graham – Good to hear. You haven't seen him recently? Has anything happened?

Angela – It’s too complicated to explain.

Graham -- OK. But you know that you can talk about what happened to me, right?

Angela – I know.

Angela VO* I know that I can talk about anything with my Dad. But there are many things that I can’t force myself to talk about with him.

One thing, I decided to change how Angela refers to Graham as Graham. I don't know, I was going to develop a back story. But, in the interests of time and consistency with real life (I still call my my mom mom) I decided to drop it. Plus, I can't see Angela calling Patty Patty.

Anyway, that's what I have now.

Edit -- I added Danielle to Part 3 to balance out the dinner conversation at the Chase house.

Edit #2 (03/05/03) -- Changed dialogue between Angela and Graham.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 6th 2003, 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 23rd 2003, 12:51 pm

Well, in order for the story to make any sense, I'm putting in some flashbacks to fill in some gaps from when the original show ended and this episode takes place. My episode is probably going to be a two-hour one. I'm a little disappointed with how Angela is turning out in my story. I want her to be successful yet needy. The needy part makes her seem too emotionally unstable. I still haven't found a good way to reintroduce Brian. I'm going to try to work on the story some this weekend. I wrote a decent scene involving Rickie and Angela. However, I need to find a way to bring all of the characters together. This is harder than it sounds when I have to take into account that all of the characters work, etc. I have Graham's rest. in the story. However, I think I might be breaking a theme if I show the characters actually eating together. Also, I noticed that baseball plays a semi-important role in "Why Jordan Can't Read." I can probably work into my story that Danielle works for the Pirates. Having her actually living in Pitts. might help the story.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 23rd 2003, 1:11 pm

I'm probably going to need to get a book or two on screenwriting. I'm not really sure how much description I should give to scenes. Right now, I'm focusing almost totally on dialogue. I'm more used to writing prose, short stories and 2 or 3 unfinished novels. What writer doesn't have 2 or 3 unfinished novels lying around? Anyway, here is another installment.

Part Five -- To Whom Can You Talk?

Location: Chase house, morning. Angela and Sharon are in Angela’s bedroom.

Sharon – You could have RSVP’d. Coordinating a Reunion is not an easy thing to do.

Angela – I was not even sure I was going to come until last week.

Sharon – The invitations were sent months ago. Many people responded right away.

Angela – I know. Part of me did not want to come. Reunions are not really my kind of thing. It’s like people have to act like they are someone else. They have to act like they have changed in some way.

Sharon – You have changed. I mean you’ve changed fundamentally. You moved away from home. You got a few degrees. You teach. You write.

Angela – Stop it. You make me seem like some type of super hero. I haven’t changed that much. (Angela pauses for few seconds) I called Jordan last night.

Sharon – You did not call him. Angela, what in the hell were you thinking? It seems like you have an unhealthy attraction to that man. He ruined your high school years. He ruined half of your college years. You go away for months at time. You avoid your family and friends. Then, you seek him out after how long? Three years?

Angela – I didn’t seek him out. I called him. It doesn’t hurt to call him.

Sharon – It does hurt to call him. Calling him will lead to seeing him. Seeing him could lead to something else. Next thing you know, you will be kicking yourself for starting all of this mess over again. But, you are not going to listen to what I have to say about Jordan. So, I’m not even going to discuss him anymore. However, I think you should talk to someone. Maybe you could talk to Graham or Patty?

Angela – I don’t think they could be much help. Plus, it would make them feel too good about themselves. They always tell me to come to them when I feel like I need to talk. I think that is part of their master plan for controlling my life.

Sharon – They don’t want to control your life. They want to help you live it. Maybe you should call Brian?

Angela – No one seems to know where Brian is these days. I talked to his parents a month or so ago.

Sharon – You talked to Brian’s parents? Are you insane? Well, if you talked to Brian’s parents, since they are both shrinks, you might be insane.

Angela – I’m not totally insane.

Angela VO* -- Not totally insane. Did I admit I was partially insane? What is insane anyway? Partial insanity? It was insanity to decide to come to the reunion.

Sharon -- Maybe you should go see Rickie?

Angela – Rickie? You cannot be serious.

Sharon – Yes, I am serious. Anyway, isn’t Rickie supposed to help people? You need help. You can’t go around calling men who are bad for you.

Sharon – Well, you should talk to Rickie.

Angela – I’ll think about it.

Edit -- 03/05/03 -- Changed some dialogue between Angela and Sharon. Changed Angela VO* to present tense.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 23rd 2003, 11:05 pm

Part Six -- The Wayward Heart

Location: outside of a church, later in the day. Angela stands on walkway that leads towards the front doors of the church. A breeze tousles her hair.

Angela VO* -- I can’t remember the last time I went to Church. Sure, there were those few times when my parents and I went to Church. But those times were few and sporadic. Probably the last time I was in a church was when I walked out of marriage class with Father Cory and Shelby.

[Flashback to Angela, Shelby, and Father Cory sitting Father Cory’s rectory office. Father Cory is saying, “Marriage is not something to be taken lightly. You should believe with all of your heart that your marriage will last forever. You should believe that you have made this solemn bond.” Angela looks at Father Cory. Then she looks at Shelby. She rises from her chair. “I cannot do this,” she says. “I’m sorry.” She walks out of the office. Shelby rises to follow her.]

(Angela takes the steps slowly. She opens a door to the church. She touches the font of holy water in the narthex and crosses herself. She opens one of the second sets of doors and enters the sanctuary. The sanctuary is naturally lit by sunlight cascading thorough the stained glass windows. Candles are lit here and there. She sees a woman exit one of the confessional booths along the back of the church. The woman is crying. Moments later, a priest exits the confessional. He approaches Angela.)

Rickie – (softly) Angela.

Angela -- (softly) Father.

Rickie – Let us go outside to the garden.

(Rickie takes Angela hand. They walk out of the church to the garden in back of the church. They sit on an iron bench, which is surrounded by red and white roses.)

Rickie – I’m so glad that you decided to visit. You didn’t come to see me last time you were home.

Angela – I’m sorry Father.

Rickie – Angela, call me Rickie. I’m still the same Rickie. Don’t let this collar fool you.

Angela – It’s hard. I mean you learn to be respectful. I never really have gotten a chance to get to know a priest. You know. And now one of my best friends is a priest. It takes some getting used to.

Rickie – I know. It took me some time to get used to being a priest. However, given time and hard work, I think I’ve learned pretty well. What brings you here, other than seeing me?

Angela – You know that I have worked really hard professionally. Sometimes, there aren’t enough hours in the day. Teaching, writing, dealing with students and committees – all of those things add up. They take a toll on me.

Rickie – I know. I feel the same way sometimes with my work and responsibilities.

Angela – I don’t want to compare myself to you. My concerns are probably nothing when compared to yours.

Rickie – They aren’t nothing, if they are concerns of yours.

(Angela stands up. She walks away for a couple of steps, then she turns to face Rickie again.)

Angela – I did not want to come home. I tried for a long time to shake loose of all of things around here. There are things here which are unhealthy for me emotionally. Dangerous things.

Rickie – Unhealthy, dangerous things or people?

Angela – Good question. Do you know that one of the first things I did when I got home was to call Jordan? That was such a stupid thing to do.

Rickie – Well, I don’t know if it was a stupid thing to do. It might have been unwise to call him before you have thought about the consequences of calling him. Maybe you should really take some time to think about what you expect to happen and how likely your expectations could harm you.

Angela – You are right. I will try to think things through. It’s hard to think about things your heart wants. Your heart just wants to do what it wants.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomSpeed

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Feb 25th 2003, 5:26 pm

Please continue :)
----------------
Make it count.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 25th 2003, 6:11 pm

I hope to have 2 parts ready later this week. I haven't decided how many parts the story will have eventually. I'm thinking 12-14. But, there might be more. When I write, the characters basically tell me where they want to go. Thanks for reading!
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 25th 2003, 11:34 pm

This was a really difficult scene for me to write.

Part Seven -- Morning in the Park and Brian's Rejection

Location: A park situated halfway between the church and the Chase house. Angela is walking along a path that borders a playground on one side. Angela stops on the path and watches a few small children playing on the slides on swinging high on the swings.

Angela VO* -- Actions have consequences. Your heart does what it wants. If only your heart knew what consequences come when it does what it wants.

[Flashback to Graham watching young Angela and Brian swinging on the swings. “I can go higher!” young Angela shouts. “No you can’t, I can go higher!” young Brian shouts. “Watch out, kids, you might lose your grip and shoot all the way to the sun!”]

Angela VO* -- If you shoot to the sun, you will get burned.

(Angela sits on a bench facing the playground.)

[Flashback to Angela and Brian, 15 years old. Angela and Brian are sitting on a bench along the path, facing the playground.

Brian -- Do you know how hard it’s been for me to want you for so long? You can’t even imagine how much seeing you chase after Jordan killed me more and more each day.

Angela – How could I know? You didn’t tell me. All of this time, you never told me.

(Brian takes Angela’s hand.)

Brian – I’m telling you now. [pause] I love you. I have to tell you now.

Angela – I don’t know what to say. Brian, I’m sorry. This is too much for me. (Angela takes “The Letter” out of a pocket of her dress.) You wrote this letter for Jordan to give to me. You denied writing it. Then you said you did. Now you say you love me. Deep down, I guess I knew that Jordan couldn’t write it. I wanted to believe that he could write it, you know? My heart wanted to believe he could write it.

Brian – So, does that mean that you love me, or not?

Angela -- I don’t know. It’s not as simple as throwing a switch. Yesterday, I loved Jordan. Today, I love Brian.

Brian – I know it’s not simple. (Brian releases Angela’s hand.)

Angela – You should have written the letter as yourself.

Brian – What would you have done if the letter was signed by Brian Krakow instead of Jordan Catalano? Would you have torn it up into a thousand pieces?

Angela – Stop it. I wouldn’t have torn it up. How can you say something like that?

Brian – How could you fool yourself into believing that Jordan wrote that letter?]

Angela VO* -- I fooled myself because my heart wanted to do what it wanted to do.

[Flashback to Angela and Brian talking in her bedroom a few days later. They are sitting on her bed.

Angela – You want me to choose between you and Jordan? How can you ask me to make such a choice?

Brian – Asking the question is easy. Making the decision might be more difficult. You know, I wish I could say that it’s OK with me if you date Jordan and me. That would ease my mind. But I can’t say that. I don’t believe it.

Angela – You are standing up for yourself now? Isn’t a little late?

Brian – Is it?

Angela – Yes, it is. Brian, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.]

(A young boy runs up to Angela)

Nathan – Auntie Angie! Auntie Angie!

(Angela stands up and hugs Nathan. Rayanne approaches them.)

Rayanne – Hey, girl friend. Nice to see you finally made it into town.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 26th 2003, 12:56 pm

This scene just kind of came to me today. I like how it changes mood from the previous scene. Also, I'm not going to spend much time on how Angela, Sharon, and Rayanne patch things up and remain friends. This scene introduces the assumption that things are OK on that front.

Part Eight -- If I Had a Hammer

Nathan – Mommy, can I play on the swings now?

Rayanne – Sure, honey. Give Auntie Angie and me a kiss before you go.

(Nathan stretches to kiss Angela and Rayanne, who are kneeling, on their cheeks. He runs to the playground and the swings. Angela and Rayanne sit on the bench.)

Angela – He is a beautiful child, Rayanne.

Rayanne – You bet your ass he is beautiful. Look at his mother.

Angela – You are so known for your modesty.

Rayanne – True, very true.

Angela – What are you doing here?

Rayanne – I was on my way to see you. I wanted to take Nathan to the park for a bit. Then, I was going to invite us to lunch at your house. I figured that Graham would have some tasty leftovers hiding in the fridge.

Angela – Aren’t you working at the bank today?

Rayanne – Nope. I told Steve Banning, Mr. Branch Manager, that I wanted today and tomorrow off work. (Rayanne waves at Nathan as he goes down a slide.) What are you doing here? I figured you would be home writing some slasher novel or something.

Angela – You read the story, too? You write one story in which someone gets killed and all of a sudden you are a slasher novelist.

Rayanne – Sharon told me about it. I love the part when Susan takes her husband’s hammer out of the tool shed to kill him. That was his favorite tool. The hammer his father gave him is used to whack him.

Angela – Yes, I thought that would be ironic in some demented way.

Rayanne – You didn’t kill Shelby did you? I mean, I don’t have to call the South Carolina State Police and report a possible crime.

Angela – You are the second person to ask me that question. I did not kill Shelby. He’s alive and well. I think.

Rayanne – Wait! You think he is alive?

Angela – Why would I kill him?

Rayanne – Well, you did practically leave him at the altar. I seem to recall he staked out your apartment for awhile.

Angela – I didn’t leave him or practically leave him at the altar.

Rayanne – It was close though. I remember you inviting me to a wedding.

Angela – We didn’t have a firm date set.

Rayanne – Well, if I had some guy following me around, I might have to get his dad’s hammer, too. (Rayanne rises from the bench) C’mon, let’s go play with Nate.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 27th 2003, 6:39 pm

Part Nine -- Angela and Brian Make a Date

Location: Chase house, early evening. Angela and Sharon are listening to music in Angela’s bedroom. Sharon has taken over Angela’s desk with reunion preparation stuff.

Sharon – Thanks for letting me bring this stuff over, Angela. There are only two days left until the reunion. Tonight is Eric’s poker night. So, right now, there are about five drinking men drinking, lying, and carrying on at my house. I would not be able to get any work done now.

Angela – No problem. (Angela walks over to the desk and picks up the yearbook for their senior year in high school.) I left my yearbook back in Carolina. (Angela starts to idly turn pages.)

Sharon – I had some pictures blown up to put around the gym. The photo guys did a great job. You will love them.

Angela – You didn’t blow up any pictures of me. Did you?

Sharon – I most certainly did use some pictures of you.

Angela – Please, didn’t you want to use pictures of good looking people? Which pictures did you use of me? I need to prepare myself.

(Angela and Sharon sit on Angela’s bed with the yearbook between them.)

Sharon – Let’s see. Here’s one. [picture of Angela, Rickie, and Rayanne standing next to Angela’s locker talking] Here’s another one. [picture of Angela running on the track during PE class] I like this one. [picture of Angela sitting a long table in the library] These are great pictures, Angela!

Angela – Sure they are great. (Angela leaves the bed and goes over to the window.) I was the most beautiful girl in school. No one could hold a candle to the fabulous Angela.

Sharon – I wouldn’t call you the fabulous Angela, but you were definitely attractive. (Sharon looks up from the yearbook at Angela.) You still are attractive in a weird, hot, reclusive writer/teacher kind of way.

Angela – Gee, thanks.

Sharon – Here’s probably the best picture of you in the whole yearbook. [picture of Angela and Brian at the senior prom]

Angela – Which one? (Angela returns to the bed and looks at the picture.) OK. You are right. Even I think that’s a great picture.

Sharon – See. I told you so. How did you end up going to the prom with Brian?

Angela – Jordan and I had broken up for the second time.

Sharon – That’s right. Jordan did not want to go to the prom because he had left school, right?

Angela – Yes, that’s how it happened.

[Flashback to Angela, age 17, Jordan, age 19, 1997. They are talking at the garage where Jordan is now working full time during the day.

Jordan – Angela, look, I can’t take you to the prom. I’m here eight, nine hours a day six days a week. I have night school when I’m not working. I’m swamped with stuff here. I told you that I wouldn’t have that much time for you when I moved out of my dad’s house.

Angela – You don’t have time for me? I know you don’t have time for everyday stuff. But this is the prom. It’s supposed to be one of the biggest nights of my life.

Jordan – I know, honey. Really. I just can’t commit to something like that now.

Angela VO* -- Just like that I knew that Jordan and I were on opposite sides of wall. I was on the childhood side trying to climb over the wall. He had already climbed over it. I’m not sure how eager I was about going to the prom. It was just a dance. I’d been to dances before. But this was the last dance of high school. So, I felt some need to go to it. Also, I was getting angry at Jordan for being so busy all of the time. OK, I’ll admit it – I was getting lonely, too. No boys asked me out because I still saw Jordan from time to time. When I asked them out, which wasn’t often, they usually said no. The times I did go out on dates were awkward. It was like I was part of high school life and I wasn’t part of it.]

[Cont. Flashback and Cut to Angela, Patty, Graham, and Danielle in 1997. They are eating dinner.

Angela – It’s stupid. Really. The whole idea of people getting excited about a dance is stupid. Like the prom will change our lives. I’m not going. That’s all there is to it.

Patty – No one has asked you?

Danielle – No one has asked her because she is too ugly.

Graham, Patty – Danielle!

Danielle – Well, all I know is that I get asked out on dates a lot. I’m not going to have any problems finding a date for the prom.

Angela – You just might have a few problems, Danielle. Things might happen that you won’t have any control over.

Patty – Maybe you should ask Brian Krakow?

Angela – Brian? He hardly ever talks to me anymore.

Graham – Well, Brian and you are still friends, right?

Angela – Yes. We still talk sometimes about school and stuff.

Patty – Well, there you go. It can’t hurt to ask him.

Angela VO* -- The only thing that can be hurt is my pride if he says no.]

[Cont. Flashback and Cut to Angela and Brian in the Chase living room later that night. Patty, Graham, and Danielle have given them privacy.

Brian – You want me to take you to the prom? You have to be kidding me.

Angela – I’m not kidding.

Brian – What makes you think I don’t already have a date?

Angela – Cut the crap, Krakow. I know you haven’t dated anyone since Susan Gallow moved to Washington.

Brian – Are you checking up on me, Chase?

Angela – Please, don’t flatter yourself. I just know. It’s like so known around school. Anyway, what are you going to do on prom night? Sit around and do nothing? You could go out and have a good time. You could go out with me.

Brian – Fabulous. Just fabulous. OK. I’ll go. Sure, I’ll go. Why not?]

Edit -- 03/05/03 Consolidated flashbacks into one flashback with several Cuts (different scenes). Changed one Angela VO* to present tense.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 28th 2003, 12:26 pm

Part Ten -- The Art of Being Quiet

Location: Chase house, later in the evening. Graham and Patty are preparing for bed.

Patty – Did you ask Angela about Shelby?

Graham – Yes. She did not really want to talk about him.

Patty – It's strange that she hasn't said anything about Shelby in months.

Graham – Well, they probably broke up. If they did break up, it’s better the split happened before they got married.

Patty – I just hope she’s doing OK. I worry about her so much. (Patty sighs.) I don't think I should butt in where I'm probably not wanted.

(Patty and Graham get into their bed. They turn off the lamps next to the bed.)

Graham – She knows you love and care about her. She will come to you if she needs you.

Patty – I hope so. [Pause] Graham, what are you doing?

Graham – Just letting you know that I need you.

Patty – What about Angela? She’s here…in the house…in her room.

Graham – We’ll be quiet…for a change.

Edit -- 03/05/03 -- Changed Patty's dialogue.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomSpeed

blue_moon_34
Nicky Driscoll

Post by blue_moon_34 » Feb 28th 2003, 1:46 pm

i'm loving every part of your fan fiction, i just wish it could go on forever. keep up the good work, i can't wait for the next part.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 1st 2003, 6:51 pm

Now comes some tricky parts in the story. I have to reintroduce Brian in real-time (2007). I've decided to use some VO segments for Brian. Also, I've pretty much left Jordan alone. I need to bring him and Angela together. Plus, I haven't decided how much to develop the subplot of Rickie becoming a priest. I really think being a priest is a natural progression for him in terms of his character. There is also the fact that many men who become priests are gay. However, very few priests, both gay and straight, molest people (I hope). This subject is probably the most controvercial thing I have in the story. I don't want to get bogged down too much on this subject, but I might develop the subplot a little.

I'm writing this story at work and home, emailing parts back and forth. The fonts get changed during the email process. It's really annoying. I feel compelled to correct the line spacing. The good thing is that I've been able to proofread some while making the spacing corrections. Poor Danielle seemed to live in both Boston and Pitts. at the same time.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 1st 2003, 9:20 pm

Part Eleven -- Calling Brian Krakow

Location: The International Desk of the Atlanta Journal, several months earlier. Brian is working on a new story.

(Telephone rings at Brian’s desk.)

Brian – Brian Krakow, International.

Sharon – Hello, Brian? It’s Sharon Cherski.

Brian – Sharon?

Sharon – Hey. How’s it going?

Brian – Oh my God, Cherski. I haven’t heard from you in a long time. I’m fine. How about you?

Sharon – Great! Hey, the reason why I’m calling is that as chairwoman of the Liberty 1997 Reunion Committee, I’m pleased to invite you to our 10th Year Class Reunion.

Brian – Class reunion? You have to be kidding me. No one goes to those anymore, do they?

Sharon – I hope so. Otherwise, I’m wasting a lot of time and effort putting this thing together.

Brian – Sorry.

Sharon – No problem. Anyway, I got your telephone number from you mother. It took some doing, too. They are never home. I kept leaving messages, but no one returned them.

Brian – Well, their answering machine eats tapes. I’ve been meaning to get them a digital answering machine, but I haven’t got around to it. I’ve been too busy.

Sharon – So, you are coming to the reunion, right? They gave me your address. An invitation should be on its way to you.

Brian – Sharon, I don’t know. Reunions are just not my thing. Besides I’m –

Sharon – Busy. I know. Get your butt up here for the reunion. You are the valedictorian. You have to come to the reunion. It’s like a national law.

Brian – Oh, it’s a law?

Sharon – Yes, it is. I wouldn’t want you to go to jail or anything. So, you better make plans to be here.

Brian – OK. I’ll check my calendar when I get the invitation. I’m not making any promises that I will be there.

Sharon – It’s in the third week of June. Be here.

Brian – OK. I’ll think about it.

Sharon – Don’t think, Krakow. Do.

Brian – Sharon, I have another call. I need to run.

Sharon – OK. You should consider strongly coming to the reunion. I don’t want to have to call the police or anything.

Brian – Geez. Hold off calling the cops, OK?

Sharon – Sure. See you later.

Brian – See you.

Sharon – Oh, by the way, Angela is probably going to be here.

Brian – Angela?

Sharon – I just thought I should let you know. Bye, Brian.

Brian – Bye, Sharon.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Mar 5th 2003, 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TomSpeed