Buffy...convince me

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Feb 2nd 2003, 10:42 am

Candygirl,

Thanks for the episode information. I knew I could count on you.

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 2nd 2003, 6:13 pm

Well, you know that I like when others benefit from my OCD :wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 5th 2003, 4:34 am

Heh, weird that we were talking about the Buffy/Faith bodyswitching so that we got to see each actress imitate the other and then boom! Tonight's episode had another spin on that :shock:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 5th 2003, 8:48 am

candygirl wrote:Heh, weird that we were talking about the Buffy/Faith bodyswitching so that we got to see each actress imitate the other and then boom! Tonight's episode had another spin on that :shock:
Cool,

Can't wait to see it.

Best,

Lance Man

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 9th 2003, 10:16 pm

I haven't chimed in about Buffy in a while.

I'm a big fan of the show, but more and more I'm thinking that Joss should have pulled the plug after season 5. The show would have ended on a high point. Imagine, the final scene of Buffy's grave. Ultimately, that may be how I mentally end the show. Season 6 was a disaster, and well...

My point is, this season is dragging. I liked the idea of the First, and the Slayers in waiting. But its just not working for me, at this point. And this past episode, with the "magic kiss"???? I wanted to puke.

Hopefully, with Firefly cancelled, Joss will return his attention to Buffy, and fix things. I keep coming back to the fact that the better writers left for Angel, and we were stuck with Marti Noxon. And ultimately Joss is responsible.

Speaking of Angel, the last several episodes have kicked ass! I never used to watch it, but I sense the shows are coming together. (Remember, I'm spoiler free).

So I'm still optimistic. And there was a moment, in Angel, when he screamed out "BUFFY, NO" 2 weeks ago, which gave me hope that this, the probable final season, is going to get interesting. (please).

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 9th 2003, 10:26 pm

About the various seasons, I feel season 2 of Buffy is about as good as ANY show has EVER been. Like candy mentioned, I still get choked up for the season finale. It really is THAT good.

Season 5 had probably the next best season-long arc. Glory was a brilliant villian (god) (big bad, choose your term). And another great ending.

Season 3, with the mayor was my next favorite. Remember when the season ender was delayed because of Columbine? (aside - Bowling for Columbine was a great film).

Season 4 was a notch down, though I don't hate Riley as much as some. I liked the idea of the Initiative, though it didn't really click.

If I close my eyes and concentrate real hard, I can almost forget season 6 existed.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2003, 11:00 pm

Fnordboy, what's your decision on S1? Ready for S2?

:D

JPP13, I hear you. As shocking as the S5 finale was, that would have been a good place to end the series. As it is, I think the reason that S6 was so...I don't have a word to encompass what happened...but I know that Joss was trying to deal with the repercussions of the S5 finale and the aftermath of what the Scoobies did at the beginning of S6 in a realistic manner, and I appreciate that he didn't turn it into some 90210-esque "let's sweep this under the rug and move on" kind of thing BUT I think that the darker tone, the slow story lines, and the inexplicable actions of some of the characters in combination disappointed many fans.

As someone said about the Gilmore Girls, when things like that happen the fans just don't care anymore. When the fans don't care, when the passion is gone, what is left?

As far as this season is concerned, there have been some excellent episodes and the rest have been ehhhhh. Again the story lines are dragging and I feel like not much has happened in the last few episodes - what little has happened did not require several separate episodes. Maybe this is a conscious decision from Joss - the calm before the storm.

I know there has been a lot of speculation whether there will be another season of Buffy, but my attitude has been that considering SMG's reported desires to (1) do more movies and (2) start a family combined with the declining ratings and the increasing numbers of disgruntled fans, this is the last season. I still watch out of loyalty, but not as I used to - anticipating what will happen next, eager to see what Joss would throw at us next.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 10th 2003, 12:06 am

Thats well-said. Every indication I've heard is that this is it. Though, perhaps a seperate spin-off may be in the works.

Unfortunately, the only logical way for the series to end would be with Buffy dying. but we can't have that again. And it would never top season 5 anyway.

So, I swing in the other direction. Perhaps Angel comes back, human? And Buffy and Angel ride off into the sunset? I can see it.

As an aside, I was thinking the other day that it really wouldn't be that bad to be a vampire with a soul. Think for a moment about Angel becoming human (again). He's lived about 500 years I think. His human life of 40 remainign years or so would fly by in relation. A vamp with a soul lives forever! And he's not a killer anymore, so he can be relatively guilt free.

Of course, Angel can't experience true happiness, so thats a prob.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 10th 2003, 10:09 am

candygirl wrote:
As someone said about the Gilmore Girls, when things like that happen the fans just don't care anymore. When the fans don't care, when the passion is gone, what is left?
Candygirl,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Joss has repeated said in interviews he has given that if a character gets killed off and the fans don't care then he isn't doing his job. I think the fans are ready to move on, maybe Joss is too.

Best,

Lance Man

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 10:27 am

I don't have time to look right now, but there was an interview with Joss in November or December about Firefly and he commented on how much more he enjoyed working with the cast of Firefly vs. certain pre-madonnas on Buffy. I've also heard of an animated Buffy that Joss was working on and a comment that he was looking forward to getting back to dealing with the Buffy Characters in high school.

So I'm afraid that Joss maybe just as disallusioned as the rest of us.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 22nd 2003, 9:09 pm

candygirl wrote:Fnordboy, what's your decision on S1? Ready for S2?

I will be picking up S2 eventually, it is not supe rhigh on my list. I enjoyed S1 alot but with other things coming out this has to be knocked down a bit. My Japanese R2 DVDs cost about 48 bucks a pop and with 2 coming out in the next month that I need it digs into my wallet :cry: I still need to pick up Six Feet Under S1, but the only cheap place that has it is Costco and I havent gotten back there yet...probably in a month I will pick up S2 of Buffy though. Then S3 and hopefully I will be caught up by S4's release.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 22nd 2003, 10:28 pm

fnordboy wrote:
candygirl wrote:Fnordboy, what's your decision on S1? Ready for S2?

I will be picking up S2 eventually, it is not supe rhigh on my list. I enjoyed S1 alot but with other things coming out this has to be knocked down a bit. My Japanese R2 DVDs cost about 48 bucks a pop and with 2 coming out in the next month that I need it digs into my wallet :cry: I still need to pick up Six Feet Under S1, but the only cheap place that has it is Costco and I havent gotten back there yet...probably in a month I will pick up S2 of Buffy though. Then S3 and hopefully I will be caught up by S4's release.
Fnordboy,

I am actually watching Buffy: Second Season now. Whenever you got the cash or the time, well worth it. Dude the dance number in "When She Was Bad" (First episode) alone about justifes the purchase. Plus this is the first time you get to see Spike, in all his bad ass glory.

Now onto "School Hard".

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 23rd 2003, 1:15 am

And that will prepare you for seeing Buffy and Faith dancing together in S3.

:shock:

:P

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2003, 9:12 pm

lance wrote: Fnordboy,

I am actually watching Buffy: Second Season now. Whenever you got the cash or the time, well worth it. Dude the dance number in "When She Was Bad" (First episode) alone about justifes the purchase. Plus this is the first time you get to see Spike, in all his bad ass glory.

Now onto "School Hard".

Lance Man
Ok you got me, I dropped by Best Buy and picked up S2 tonight.... what can I say...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 25th 2003, 12:31 am

Woo hoo!

(why do I get the feeling that Buffy's dance was more enticing than seeing Spike?)