Metropolis Restored DVD....Wow

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Metropolis Restored DVD....Wow

Post by fnordboy » Feb 23rd 2003, 5:41 am

I finally found the Metropolis DVD in a B&M store (Suncoast...damn..but got triple points :) ).

I popped it in tonight to see how the restoration went, and all i can say is WOW :shock: I can not believe how pristine this film is. If anyone out there is a fan of silent movies, hell, film in general, I highly advise you to pick this disc up. Great movie, great DVD.

I did notice some speed up since it is at 24fps, but nothing to complain about really IMO.

The only thing I miss is the bad colorization and the Pat Benatar/Queen soundtrack from the mid 80s VHS release :lol: yes i am joking

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

A Long-Winded Review

Post by GaryEA » Feb 23rd 2003, 8:51 pm

I went to no less than six stores to find the disc and found it at a Suncoast (and the wallet says owie...), but dammit, I wasn't going home until I had it.

Okay, I'm probably completely biased since I consider this as my favorite movie PERIOD, but hey, I have to chime in. This is the movie that inspired me to switch to film school. I've read so much material on the film, Lang, German Expressionism to understand the film more it's nauseating. I love this film.

I got to see the restoration twice in the theaters - once at the Film Forum, the other in Montclair. Both times, I was in awe at how good it looked. Crisp and sharp, the film has been presented as it should have always been. About time too.

The other part the REALLY struck me was how much plot was missing from all previous versions. I was aware of the subplots that had been removed, and that removing the Hel aspect (for instance) changed the dynamic of most of the characters and why Rotwang did what he did. But seeing them integrated into the film is a revelation, and I felt that I was watching a new film.

I've pretty much stayed out of the BS debate over the fps issue on other boards. It's not that I'm just satisfied with the film being 24 fps, but that I've seen it projected faster and slower. This is the best compromise, based on information Lang left behind. Other people have written that it's a travesty, that characters look ridiculous at that speed, etc. I say be glad you've got it.

The DVD is fantastic, offering a solid transfer. I'm not a DVD tech junkie so I can't say if there are artifacts or EE (honestly, that stuff goes over my head). Suffice it to say that the film looks FANTASTIC.

I haven't listened to the commentary yet, so I can't comment on that yet. The Patalis documentary is great. Lots of cursory info as well as material not usually covered.

The shorter featurette about the restoration shows you how they did the work and with what materials they had to work with. Short, but very informative.

There are also several picture galleries, all containing a wide coverage of production shots and behind the scenes material.

I'm not going to rate the disc, but simply say that if you care to see Metropolis as close to the way it was meant to be in 1927, this is it. I'm sure there will be another restoration years from now as more and more footage turns up, but for now, Kino has a definitive edition.

Gary

p.s. I loved the Moroder version. Sing along...

"Circles of a human chain..."

:D

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Feb 24th 2003, 2:44 am

probably pick that up, sounds great. i have a crappy 6 dollar version, not even sure if its the whole movie. and speaking of restoration has anyone seen the Criterion Solaris? damn fine job.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2003, 3:45 am

sid_barrett wrote:...and speaking of restoration has anyone seen the Criterion Solaris? damn fine job.
I have yet to see this DVD, it is on my to buy list but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe this week, but there are a few things coming out i want <sigh> why couldn't I have been born rich :cry:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 4:02 am

fnordboy wrote: why couldn't I have been born rich :cry:
...instead of so good looking?

An oft-heard lament!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2003, 4:41 am

candygirl wrote:
this damn cross I bear...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 1:55 pm

Ahhh, the albatross...
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 24th 2003, 3:07 pm

fnordboy wrote:
candygirl wrote:
this damn cross I bear...
Someone has to do it :wink:

Lance Man