t.A.T.u.

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Feb 16th 2003, 9:30 pm

They're showing the video during the credits of a lot of MTV shows. Each time its shown, I end up getting it running through my head, running through my head, running through my head.

I have to say, I'm a sucker for the voice-mod sound.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 16th 2003, 11:17 pm

I'd like to see the video. But, I don't have cable anymore. I got rid of it over a year ago because I couldn't afford it. It was either lose cable or the internet. I'll probably get it back this year sometime if I get a small bill or two paid off. I've been buying DVDs, so I'm probably not saving much. However, I was paying $70 a month for cable. I usually only buy two DVDs every month or so. Most of those are on sale. My big complaint about having cable was that there was nothing on. Plus, I watched mostly network TV and CNN. However, I miss The Sopranos and stuff like that. Hmmm....decisions, decisions.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 17th 2003, 12:09 am

You can view the video here
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 17th 2003, 2:24 am

Thanks for the link. Windows Media Player works like crap on my ancient computer. But, I found a clip on RealOne Player. Their singing isn't actually that bad in a teen band kind of way. The images of the girls kissing are provocative. I can see why some people might get bent out of shape. However, I don't think they are any worse than a lot of other videos out there.

Hmmm....What side of this am I on again? I really don't see anything wrong with this video being on TV. I'm not sure I'd let my daughter be in the video though. Is that a double standard?

I also wouldn't want my daughter to be in Playboy either. But, since you have to be 18 to be in Playboy, if my daughter chose to be in it, then I would support her. I always thought having a girl friend be in it would be kind of cool.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 17th 2003, 6:01 am

IMHO... :)

The music was good, though that has more to do with the nameless, faceless people behind the scenes than it does with the girls up front. I liked the style of the video, though I can't say as I understood what it was supposed to be about. The girls were very sexual, yes, but (even if they are faking it) it didn't feel like the sort of forced, artificial sexuality that is so often injected into pop music videos.

Controversial? Not by my standards, and almost certainly not by MTV's standards. Were I a parent, I'd have some reservations about it, as I would with many things.

Exploitation? Obviously, it's beyond my knowledge to say, but I can only think that whatever situation those girls may be stuck in, it would have to be really horrible to be worse than what a lot of Russian girls are stuck with at home. :(

As far as the effect on the public's opinion of homosexuals, I don't really see this video making a big dent one way or the other. People who respect homosexuals as individuals will continue to do so, and people who hate homosexuals or who think lesbians are nothing more than sex objects will continue to do so. I can see where children might be influenced, but, as has been said so much in this thread, where are the parents?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Feb 17th 2003, 6:06 am

Nostradamus wrote:Controversial? Not by my standards, and almost certainly not by MTV's standards.
The video isn't, but I've seen photos of thier performances. They might as well be nude, since the tshirt and panties they are wearing are soaked to the point of see-through. I'd think they'd tame it down for the countries who's legal age is older than they are, but I don't know.

I wonder how many shocked parents there will be if they go to these concerts with their daughters, thinking its going to be another teenie-bopper performance...
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 17th 2003, 2:15 pm

andrewgd wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:Controversial? Not by my standards, and almost certainly not by MTV's standards.
The video isn't, but I've seen photos of thier performances. They might as well be nude, since the tshirt and panties they are wearing are soaked to the point of see-through. I'd think they'd tame it down for the countries who's legal age is older than they are, but I don't know.

I wonder how many shocked parents there will be if they go to these concerts with their daughters, thinking its going to be another teenie-bopper performance...
Yeah I had a video of one of there live performances, don't know if i still have it or not but there is very little left to the imagination. Soaked translucent white t-shirts, panties (shorts?) and kneepads (wonder what they are for... oh ..yeah..dancing... :twisted: ). And that was back when they were 16.

shorty

Post by shorty » Feb 23rd 2003, 3:09 pm

The problem that I have is not with T.A.T.U, but with the hypocrisy of the British media. During the last few years, there have been so many campaigns, witchhunts and celebrities having been arrested over issues to do with paedophilia, but the minute a girl turns sixteen in this country, it's alright for her to be voted "Rear of the year" (Namely Charlotte Church), by men twice her age, or in this case the T.A.T.U girls to be put on the front page of tabloids STARK NAKED.
While I don't disagree with the age of consent, I still think that 17 is pretty damn young to be plastered across a national newspaper for pervs to wank over, just to sell more copies.
And I don't disagree with the two girls kissing publicly, it's just the way the video is shot, like a wet t-shirt competition and the fact that their skirts are so short, you can almost see what they had for breakfast. So I think yeah they are being exploited, and if the media isn't careful, it's gonna continue happening to girls even younger, and they will be partly to blame.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 24th 2003, 1:26 am

I have some younger girl cousins - age 11, 12, and 13 - and they told me last summer that they were at a store in the mall (with their mothers, my aunts) and in the underwear section there were thongs. THONGS in the underwear section of a YOUNG GIRL'S department store. I don't remember what store they were in, or if they even told me. But I asked them if they were interested in that, and thankfully they said NO! They said it was weird that there were thongs there, and even that some other girls there their age were picking them out. They said that they think it is for older girls and I told them yes, but even many of the older girls don't like to wear them often, if at all. It makes me feel good that my young cousins are sensible and smart girls. I only hope there are more out there!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 2:40 am

I went into the Limited Too over Christmas because my sister's friend needed to buy some gifts for her cousin. Since I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I began browsing and was almost speechless when I saw that they carry kiddie sized low rise thongs.

I am beginning to sound my age now, but I would hope any kids who were small enough to fit into the sizes at that store wouldn't be wearing anything that required low rise thongs. My boyfriend's twelve year old cousin still thinks that thongs are gross, so thankfully not every pre-pubescent girl in America has given in to these trends.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 2:45 am

I just remembered that last year Abercrombie Kids got in trouble because they were selling suggestively themed thongs. They are no longer selling them, but initially they defended the product saying that it was "fun" and harmless. I'm sure the pedophiles don't see it that way.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Feb 24th 2003, 3:47 am

candygirl wrote:it was "fun" and harmless. I'm sure the pedophiles don't see it that way.
Well, fun maybe.

One thing I feel I should point out is that the kids aren't to blame. Neither is the music industry, movies, television, etc.

The blame for kids wearing this stuff lands squarely on the parents sholders. Granted, if the kids didn't see it on tv, they wouldn't want it. But thats why parents are parents. They make the rules that sculpt the children. If they see something they don't want the kids seeing/wearing/etc, it is their duty to make sure their kids don't have access to it. It is not up to TV or government, but these parents. Maybe if they put as much time into parenting as complaining about the media they wouldn't have to worry about their kids being influenced by it....

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2003, 3:56 am

It's a good thing 11 and 12 year old girls aren't into giving each other wedgies like the 11-12 year old boys.

A wedgy with a thong might be lethal. :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 4:05 am

I remember when I was that age, girls used to get "pantsed" meaning someone would grab their loose cottony pants about hip level and pull them down, exposing their skivvies to everyone in the lunchroom. Imagine that happening to a 12 year old wearing a thong - it's bad enough for everyone to see your flowered undies, but bare ass is another level of bad.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 4:07 am

andrewgd wrote:One thing I feel I should point out is that the kids aren't to blame. Neither is the music industry, movies, television, etc.

The blame for kids wearing this stuff lands squarely on the parents sholders. Granted, if the kids didn't see it on tv, they wouldn't want it. But thats why parents are parents. They make the rules that sculpt the children. If they see something they don't want the kids seeing/wearing/etc, it is their duty to make sure their kids don't have access to it. It is not up to TV or government, but these parents. Maybe if they put as much time into parenting as complaining about the media they wouldn't have to worry about their kids being influenced by it....
I agree that parents must shoulder a large part of the burden for setting limits for their kids. I just think it's ridiculous that a clothing company thinks it's appropriate to even MAKE thongs in sizes that fit elementary school kids.