Any Anime fans or Otaku here?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 22nd 2003, 4:59 am

Well, not to burst your bubble but...

There is no "live action version" what they are referring to is the live action sequences in the End of Evangelion movie. There was a lot more footage shot and storyboarded for the sequence but didn't make it into the final cut for various reasons.

Also the boxset has no english subs and ¥39,800 is roughly $334 (a dollar is usually around the equivalent of ¥123). I do plan on buying the Evangelion 01 Test-Type DVD since it is only about 12 bucks, I haven't preordered it yet, going to when I order volumes 4 and 5 of She, the Ultimate Weapon at cdjapan.co.jp, if you are interested in a copy of that disc let me know and I will add it on to my order to save on hassle and shipping.

The boxset, if you are interested is available already on animaxis.com and cdjapan.co.jp and most likely amazon.co.jp. Last I looked (a few days ago when I placed my last japan order at animaxis) there were no pics of the box yet.

Chances are that the remastered/directors cuts will show up in the US. ADV knows they coul milk us for that, the fans have been asking for the directors cuts for as long as i can remember. Though the movies might be another issue, since Manga bought the rights for those and pretty much screwed up their release here, and might not want to go there again. And Gainax is known to rape the US on licensing fees.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 23rd 2003, 8:13 pm

(I first posted this from my g-friend's house without signing in. D'oh!)

Quote:
Well, not to burst your bubble but...

There is no "live action version" what they are referring to is the live action sequences in the End of Evangelion movie. There was a lot more footage shot and storyboarded for the sequence but didn't make it into the final cut for various reasons.

POP!

Actually, that makes sense to me. I forgot about the live action material in the movie, and didn't take it into account. My first image was an actress playing Rei getting into Eva, but that's me dreaming.

The new issue of Newtype America has a four page article on the rerelease, including some screen shots. Looks good. I just hope they are going to pull a Lucas and "SE" the damn the thing just for kicks.

Quote:
Also the boxset has no english subs and ¥39,800 is roughly $334 (a dollar is usually around the equivalent of ¥123). I do plan on buying the Evangelion 01 Test-Type DVD since it is only about 12 bucks, I haven't preordered it yet, going to when I order volumes 4 and 5 of She, the Ultimate Weapon at cdjapan.co.jp, if you are interested in a copy of that disc let me know and I will add it on to my order to save on hassle and shipping.

Well, I'll pass on the set for now, especially if the chances of it coming here are good (though that's uneducated guess).

I do want the Test-Type DVD, and if you could add that to your order, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Going back to the set coming to the US; I'd imagine it would be in a different form as two companies distributed the series/films here, while it looks like it will be one huge set in Japan.

It'll be interesting to see what comes our way, if anything.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 23rd 2003, 8:21 pm

GaryEA wrote: Well, I'll pass on the set for now, especially if the chances of it coming here are good (though that's uneducated guess).

I do want the Test-Type DVD, and if you could add that to your order, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Going back to the set coming to the US; I'd imagine it would be in a different form as two companies distributed the series/films here, while it looks like it will be one huge set in Japan.

It'll be interesting to see what comes our way, if anything.
I will add an extra Test Type to my order. I will probably be placing the order this week. i do not know if the Test Type is limited or not so I don't want to wait much longer. It happens to come out the same day as the last volume of She, the Ultimate Weapon, so works out perfectly. Figure on it being about 15 after shipping etc., depends on the yen > dollar ratio the day they bill me though.

About the two companies releasing the R1s here. I would say this would be considered a completely different property so the licensing would have to be done compeletly over unless ADV had some crazy contract with them originally. Knowing how Gainax is though I would highly doubt that. Gainax really knows how to milk the R1 market and charges outrageous amounts for their licenses. So the question would be does ADV, or even another company, thinks it will make enough money by getting us suckers to double dip and buy the remastered set. I really don't know, but their are enough Eva fanboys out there to make me think it would be feasible. One of the major problems would be they would have to either A - redub the whole thing or B- redub certain areas (which would require getting the same VAs again wich maybe be another problem). I would personally love it if they just released it here subbed, but that won't happen.

Hell, as it is now I have the whole show in VHS fansubs, the ADV box, the Manga releases of the two movies and the two movies in a HK bootleg DVD. So what is another set of them all ;)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 23rd 2003, 8:26 pm

Gary,

I am coming close to completion of my list o digisubs so I will get that off to you soon. I picked up more eps. of Haibane Renmei also so I am only missing a few of those.

Let you know whenit is done. Backing up over 50 gigs of digisubs is KILLING me...so damn boring and tedious....I really need a DVD-RW <sigh>.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 24th 2003, 8:17 pm

I will add an extra Test Type to my order. I will probably be placing the order this week. i do not know if the Test Type is limited or not so I don't want to wait much longer. It happens to come out the same day as the last volume of She, the Ultimate Weapon, so works out perfectly. Figure on it being about 15 after shipping etc., depends on the yen > dollar ratio the day they bill me though.
Thanks buddy. Keep me posted and I'll get you the moolah when you want it.
About the two companies releasing the R1s here. I would say this would be considered a completely different property so the licensing would have to be done compeletly over unless ADV had some crazy contract with them originally. Knowing how Gainax is though I would highly doubt that. Gainax really knows how to milk the R1 market and charges outrageous amounts for their licenses. So the question would be does ADV, or even another company, thinks it will make enough money by getting us suckers to double dip and buy the remastered set. I really don't know, but their are enough Eva fanboys out there to make me think it would be feasible. One of the major problems would be they would have to either A - redub the whole thing or B- redub certain areas (which would require getting the same VAs again wich maybe be another problem). I would personally love it if they just released it here subbed, but that won't happen.
Never considered that Gainax would solicit it as a new item, totally separate from any previous release. I'm assuming that neither ADV or Manga had any idea that the show would be "redone" or "Lucased".

Both companies will continue to sell R1 buyers "old" but perfectly good material, meaning that while they have the show and movies, there's a spiffier NGE somewhere out there. Of course, both companies could balk at Gainax's lofty asking price, leaving us out of the loop, unless another company take up the reigns.

In terms of voices, if they want it to succeed here, they HAVE to have as much of the original cast as possible, especially Shinji, Rei and Askura.
Hell, as it is now I have the whole show in VHS fansubs, the ADV box, the Manga releases of the two movies and the two movies in a HK bootleg DVD. So what is another set of them all
One step closer to bankruptcy? :wink:

Gary

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 24th 2003, 8:45 pm

I am coming close to completion of my list o digisubs so I will get that off to you soon. I picked up more eps. of Haibane Renmei also so I am only missing a few of those.
That sounds great. I'm looking forward to the list. Thanks!
Let you know whenit is done. Backing up over 50 gigs of digisubs is KILLING me...so damn boring and tedious....I really need a DVD-RW <sigh>.
Tell me about it... <bangs head on desk>

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2003, 9:21 pm

GaryEA wrote: Thanks buddy. Keep me posted and I'll get you the moolah when you want it.
No problemo ;)
GaryEA wrote: Never considered that Gainax would solicit it as a new item, totally separate from any previous release. I'm assuming that neither ADV or Manga had any idea that the show would be "redone" or "Lucased".

Both companies will continue to sell R1 buyers "old" but perfectly good material, meaning that while they have the show and movies, there's a spiffier NGE somewhere out there. Of course, both companies could balk at Gainax's lofty asking price, leaving us out of the loop, unless another company take up the reigns.

In terms of voices, if they want it to succeed here, they HAVE to have as much of the original cast as possible, especially Shinji, Rei and Askura.
Well no, it was fairly well known that there was a Directors cut of a few episodes. I think they have always been on the R2 DVDs, though I may be wrong. Eva otakus have been asking for those to be released for awhile now. Now, I don't know if the new set is a further directors cut or not. But my feeling is that this is a perfect excuse for an R1 company to rerelease Eva. If you just look at the history of Death and Rebirth and how many different cuts of that Gainax has released over the years, and the one we got here was the first to show up anywhere else (japan didnt even get a release of it). (info here: http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq2.html#question3 )
Anno has a history of never being happy with Eva, most likely since it is his most personal anime.

And you are right they might balk at the high asking price of the series, so it may never show up over here. That is why Manga ended up with the movies, since Gainax was selling the movies seperately from the series they asked outrageous prices and ADV decided for the money they were asking they could pick up several shows. Manga came in thinking this is their get rich deal (may have been) and ended up releasing a somewhat inferior product (which may or may not be their fault, depends how you look at it).

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 26th 2003, 8:38 pm

Well no, it was fairly well known that there was a Directors cut of a few episodes. I think they have always been on the R2 DVDs, though I may be wrong. Eva otakus have been asking for those to be released for awhile now. Now, I don't know if the new set is a further directors cut or not. But my feeling is that this is a perfect excuse for an R1 company to rerelease Eva.
Wow. I had never heard of any alternate or director's cuts, though I'm not surprised. And yeah, it's the perfect excuse to milk the Eva machine again in any Region.
If you just look at the history of Death and Rebirth and how many different cuts of that Gainax has released over the years, and the one we got here was the first to show up anywhere else (japan didnt even get a release of it). (info here: http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq2.html#question3 )
Anno has a history of never being happy with Eva, most likely since it is his most personal anime.
Thanks for the link. I haven't read the whole thing, but the site offers a lot of insight into the series' history.

Anno not being satisfied with Eva sounds a hell of a lot like a certain American director who tinkers with his "drafts"... but that's just me. :wink:
And you are right they might balk at the high asking price of the series, so it may never show up over here. That is why Manga ended up with the movies, since Gainax was selling the movies seperately from the series they asked outrageous prices and ADV decided for the money they were asking they could pick up several shows.
I would hope that it can be arranged somehow. The asking price for the box set is WAY above my means ($300+), although I understand that it will also be released individually as well. Maybe ADV and Manga will re-release each property again, labeled as "Uncut" or "Special Editions"
Manga came in thinking this is their get rich deal (may have been) and ended up releasing a somewhat inferior product (which may or may not be their fault, depends how you look at it).
I've wondered if Manga made any money off the films myself. They certainly took an awfully big risk.

Gary