Illness of a member

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Illness of a member

Post by lance » Feb 18th 2003, 9:29 am

Hey all,

Just wanted to put this out there. Please keep good thoughts/prayers for Mek. He went into cardiac arrest this morning at 1:00 am EST. He is currently in ICU at a local hospital. I will update the board as things settle out.

Needless to say, this is not a good day here in lanceland.

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 18th 2003, 12:03 pm

Lance,

Really sorry to hear that :(

Thoughts and good wishes to Mek.

Starbug

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 18th 2003, 2:24 pm

Wow :shock:

I hope everything turns out fine for Mek and his loved ones.

Lance, hang in there bud :)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 18th 2003, 2:43 pm

fnordboy wrote:Wow :shock:

I hope everything turns out fine for Mek and his loved ones.

Lance, hang in there bud :)
Me too!
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 18th 2003, 3:21 pm

Let us know how he's doing - our thoughts are with you both.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

update

Post by lance » Feb 18th 2003, 4:12 pm

Hey all,

megs, tom speed, fnordboy, starbug and candygirl

Thanks all for your support. Received an update, he is awake and alert and off breathing support. This is good news. He is being kept overnight in ICU. Tonight it is lizard patrol for me. Mek has several spunky lizards who need to be fed. So off to Petsmart.

Keep the good thoughts coming and I will keep you up to speed, not Tom Speed, but ya know.

Best,

Lance Man[/b]

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: update

Post by fnordboy » Feb 18th 2003, 4:37 pm

lance wrote:Thanks all for your support. Received an update, he is awake and alert and off breathing support. This is good news. He is being kept overnight in ICU. Tonight it is lizard patrol for me. Mek has several spunky lizards who need to be fed. So off to Petsmart.
Great news! Thanks for the update Lance.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 18th 2003, 6:05 pm

Lance - my thoughts and prayers are with both you and Mek.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 19th 2003, 10:16 am

Megs wrote:Lance - my thoughts and prayers are with both you and Mek.
Megs,

Thanks I really, really appreciate it.

I saw Mek last night he was doing okay. He is still in ICU put he is alert and mostly back to his normal self. He is just gearing to get out of there. As many of you may know you just can't rest in hospitals, especially in ICU. You start to fall asleep and a nurse comes in for a blood sample. You start to fall asleep and someone is paging for a doctor. You start to fall asleep and the automatic blood pressure device kicks in clamping down on your arm. You start to fall asleep...

Well you get the idea.:D

He does send his regards and his thanks to all of you.

Continued best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 19th 2003, 11:38 am

lance wrote:
Megs wrote:Lance - my thoughts and prayers are with both you and Mek.
Megs,

Thanks I really, really appreciate it.
Hey, Lance,

That's what we're here for. We got a great little community here.

Thank you for keeping us updated on Mek. I am still thinking and praying for you both!

Meg
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 19th 2003, 9:12 pm

Lance,

Please pass along my well wishes to Mek for a speedy recovery and a fast return home. And I hope you're holding up strong. Hang in there, guy!
As many of you may know you just can't rest in hospitals, especially in ICU. You start to fall asleep and a nurse comes in for a blood sample. You start to fall asleep and someone is paging for a doctor. You start to fall asleep and the automatic blood pressure device kicks in clamping down on your arm. You start to fall asleep...
No, hospitals are NOT for sleeping, even though nurses, doctors and family members will always say "Get some rest" as they're walking out of the room. They mean well but it's almost impossible.

I know when I was the unwilling guest of a major hospital in Manhattan, the only thing that was allowing me to sleep for more than twenty minutes at a time was the heavy medication, medication so strong that I understood the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey" when I watched it on my second night there (I forgot what it meant by the morning). If I didn't have that (the drugs, not the movie), I would have been up the whole time. Lance's description is letter-perfect... someone or something will always wake you up.

Of course, you're in a hospital, so you're naturally going to be tense, uncomforatable, and wondering what the hell got you there in the first place. But it would be really keen if you could have those really quiet rooms you see in the movies...

My best to the both of you. And the lizards... :D

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 20th 2003, 12:53 pm

GaryEA wrote:Lance,

Please pass along my well wishes to Mek for a speedy recovery and a fast return home. And I hope you're holding up strong. Hang in there, guy!
I certainly will. I am bit tired but holding up.
As many of you may know you just can't rest in hospitals, especially in ICU. You start to fall asleep and a nurse comes in for a blood sample. You start to fall asleep and someone is paging for a doctor. You start to fall asleep and the automatic blood pressure device kicks in clamping down on your arm. You start to fall asleep...
No, hospitals are NOT for sleeping, even though nurses, doctors and family members will always say "Get some rest" as they're walking out of the room. They mean well but it's almost impossible.

I know when I was the unwilling guest of a major hospital in Manhattan, the only thing that was allowing me to sleep for more than twenty minutes at a time was the heavy medication, medication so strong that I understood the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey" when I watched it on my second night there (I forgot what it meant by the morning). If I didn't have that (the drugs, not the movie), I would have been up the whole time. Lance's description is letter-perfect... someone or something will always wake you up.
LOL! (about the 2001 not that you were in a hospital) You understood the end? Yet, you lost it the next morning. Pity, now unless major surgery is going to be performed, we will never understand the ending of 2001. :D

I always advised people who are about to be anesthesitized to have a paper and pen at hand so you can write down the first thoughts that occur to you when you wake up. Back in ohh, '91 I got my wisdom extracted and tried this. I wrote the following in my delirum, "Mom, yogi has stolen my picnic basket."
Of course, you're in a hospital, so you're naturally going to be tense, uncomforatable, and wondering what the hell got you there in the first place. But it would be really keen if you could have those really quiet rooms you see in the movies...

My best to the both of you. And the lizards... :D

Gary
Gary,

Thanks again for your support, and wry wit.

Mek has been moved to a regular hospital room. He might be released within the next couple of days. Less monitors, tubes and such so this is a good sign. He sends his thanks to all of you at the forum.

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 20th 2003, 1:32 pm

I certainly will. I am bit tired but holding up.
Take care of yourself, Lance. It's good to know that Mek has such a caring friend to help him through this.
Mek has been moved to a regular hospital room. He might be released within the next couple of days. Less monitors, tubes and such so this is a good sign. He sends his thanks to all of you at the forum.

Best,

Lance Man
That is a very good sign, thank you so much for keeping us updated. My father had a heart attack at an early age, and all I remember is that we were not allowed to see him (after his quadruple bypass surgery) until after he had all those scary tubes removed. I am thankful that my mom didn't want us to see my dad when he was that vulnerable.

Now, go take care of yourself and get some rest.
:)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 20th 2003, 4:22 pm

That is a very good sign, thank you so much for keeping us updated. My father had a heart attack at an early age, and all I remember is that we were not allowed to see him (after his quadruple bypass surgery) until after he had all those scary tubes removed. I am thankful that my mom didn't want us to see my dad when he was that vulnerable.
That must have been extremely difficult to get through. Thanks for sharing that.

Now, go take care of yourself and get some rest.
:)
Yes mam! Off to fun and recreational activities.

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 20th 2003, 6:49 pm

Thanks again for your support, and wry wit.
No problem my friend.
FANTASTIC! That is great news.
LOL! (about the 2001 not that you were in a hospital) You understood the end? Yet, you lost it the next morning. Pity, now unless major surgery is going to be performed, we will never understand the ending of 2001.
You can skip the surgery (in fact, I HIGHLY recommend that you skip the surgery), just use morphine in an IV drip for two weeks. Works like a charm, but it makes for lousy memories.

And believe me, the one thing I DO remember is how much my theory about the ending made sense when the film ended. The film was less of a mystery. Blew everything I ever learned in film school to shame.
I always advised people who are about to be anesthesitized to have a paper and pen at hand so you can write down the first thoughts that occur to you when you wake up.
Odd thing was that I had a paper and pen right next to me, but I couldn't reach it. Instead, I tried to call my friend from film school, but I couldn't reach the phone either, and even if I got it, I couldn't remember the number or see the buttons.

Dammit, I should've had a nurse take a memo...
Back in ohh, '91 I got my wisdom extracted and tried this. I wrote the following in my delirum, "Mom, yogi has stolen my picnic basket."
:shock:

Something happened to you when you were a kid, lance? :wink:

Gary
Last edited by GaryEA on Feb 20th 2003, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.