Valentine's Ideas

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Valentine's Ideas

Post by mglenn » Feb 11th 2003, 12:25 pm

Hey all, just thought I'd ask what kinda valentine ideas you might have tried in the past or are thinking about this year.

Yes I am blatantly searching for an idea, last year my girlfriend had to work late at school for a parent teacher night. She lives an hour away and was very bummed that she could not see me. What she didn't know is that I had already got her best friend's husband to agree to drive me to her school from her house. I didn't know where the school was.

So anyway I walked in and happen to be spotted by a couple of teachers, the dozen roses and huge teddy bear may have been a give away that I was up to something. I asked them if they knew my girlfriend, which they did. I asked one of them to take a card into her while I stood in the hallway. The card was your standard valentines card except that I wrote "From Mike, who's standing in the hall!"

By this time quite a crowd of teachers had gathered around me and the typical cooing had begun. My girlfriend come flying into the hallway, stops and stares at me then get several shades of red as she see everyone around. I was dragged into her classroom and pleasantly scolded!!! :D

So now I need ideas for this year...
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Valentine's Ideas

Post by lance » Feb 11th 2003, 1:29 pm

mglenn wrote:Hey all, just thought I'd ask what kinda valentine ideas you might have tried in the past or are thinking about this year.

Yes I am blatantly searching for an idea, last year my girlfriend had to work late at school for a parent teacher night. She lives an hour away and was very bummed that she could not see me. What she didn't know is that I had already got her best friend's husband to agree to drive me to her school from her house. I didn't know where the school was.

So anyway I walked in and happen to be spotted by a couple of teachers, the dozen roses and huge teddy bear may have been a give away that I was up to something. I asked them if they knew my girlfriend, which they did. I asked one of them to take a card into her while I stood in the hallway. The card was your standard valentines card except that I wrote "From Mike, who's standing in the hall!"

By this time quite a crowd of teachers had gathered around me and the typical cooing had begun. My girlfriend come flying into the hallway, stops and stares at me then get several shades of red as she see everyone around. I was dragged into her classroom and pleasantly scolded!!! :D

So now I need ideas for this year...
You did good Big Guy! Speaking of being stumped for ideas, yeah I could use a few.

To date no big plans for Valentines Day. Sunday is the our first anniversary of church wedding. For that I am taking the wife to see a local band perform. Beyond that who knows.

Best,

Lance

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 11th 2003, 1:58 pm

You see, mglenn, that's where you went wrong last year. You were totally sweet and romantic and surprising and everything women want. You gave yourself an impossible standard to live up to! And, hey, can you stop by Northern Virginia and have a little talk with my husband? Thanks.

:wink:

Seriously, I have no ideas myself. Yes, V Day is a Hallmark holiday where chocolate and flowers double in price, but, s**t, most girls like stuff. My husband and I are going to have a nice dinner, and then I will make chocolate fondue for dessert. Very good and romantic.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 11th 2003, 1:59 pm

I apologize for the curse. :oops:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 11th 2003, 3:58 pm

Megs wrote:You see, mglenn, that's where you went wrong last year. You were totally sweet and romantic and surprising and everything women want. You gave yourself an impossible standard to live up to! And, hey, can you stop by Northern Virginia and have a little talk with my husband? Thanks.

:wink:

Seriously, I have no ideas myself. Yes, V Day is a Hallmark holiday where chocolate and flowers double in price, but, s**t, most girls like stuff. My husband and I are going to have a nice dinner, and then I will make chocolate fondue for dessert. Very good and romantic.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Huh? Make dinner and keep it simple. Thanks Megs.

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 11th 2003, 4:47 pm

Was I not making sense? That happens a lot.

I would get her a card, too.

bhayes1016
Tino

Re: Valentine's Ideas

Post by bhayes1016 » Feb 11th 2003, 10:45 pm

V-Day is an evil, evil holiday.

Buddy

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 12th 2003, 12:25 am

All of my relationships have ended, oddly enough, prior to Valentine's Day. So, I don't have any advice to offer.

I like Megs's idea of keeping things simple. Get a single rose instead of a dozen. Make the bed in the morning if she usually makes the bed. Cook if you know something good to cook.

I think Valentine's Day is a day for you both to make each other feel special.

Good luck!
Last edited by TomSpeed on Feb 12th 2003, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 12th 2003, 12:40 am

Loved the story mglenn (sorry you got scolded!). Next time, put the bear inside your coat. :D

My girlfriend and I have this opinion that Valentine's Day should be abolished because everyday should be a good day to treat each other with a little love and not give retail stores a holiday to put signs up for, ten minutes after the Christmas trees come down.

Be that as it may, we like to keep things light. Last year, we went nuts because it was our first together. This year, money considering, we've decided to something we don't get to do a lot of...

Spend time with each other.

She lives an hour away, and even when I go down or she comes up on the weekends, our respective families are there so time together, even just to talk, is curbed by being a part of whatever family business is at hand.

We were going to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Da Vinci exhibit, but considering that all hell could break loose this weekend (the Hajj ends, UN inspectors report, etc.), we decided not to cross the Hudson River just yet. Sort of a wait and see approach. We both work in museums, so missing one more this week won't ruin the the holiday.

So, it could be a movie and dinner. And no gifts. That's right; nada on the presents. Of course that could be a ploy for her to one-up me with a present, but I trust her.

Long story short; Keep it simple. A gift, a gesture and perhaps a moment to remember.

Gary
(Yeah, I know - this was probably of no help. But I tried! :D)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 12th 2003, 3:53 am

I of course get doubly screwed (or lucky, depends) on this day, my girlfriend's birthday happens to fall on Valentine's Day. Which basically means that the day is celebrated as more a birthday than valentine's day. She is a tough one to 'valentine' gift for though since she does not like flowers or most of the typical "girly" gifts attributed to this holiday, some think that this is a great thing , but it really narrows down your options ;).

I usually just shower her with gifts, mainly stuff that she will just enjoy like dvds and anime merchandise (a girl after my own heart :) ). We try to get some alone time to just relax and hang out, something we rarely get to do. I never do anything that would be expected of a guy on valentines day, with the surprises and the 'nice' dinners and such. We are just not that type of people when it comes down to it.

So no real ideas for ya, just keep it simple and low-key and all should be good.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 10:08 am

GaryEA wrote:(sorry you got scolded!).
The intent of pleasantly scolded apperently missed what I was trying to say. It was one of those scoldes of "You embarrassed me!!! But it was soooo sweet!!! :oops: " kinda things.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 12th 2003, 10:27 am

Have you decided what you are going to do, mglenn? I told my husband last night, no presents, and absolutely no roses. But I did mention that a card and some of my favorite chocolates/candy would be nice. :wink:

I'm thinking about getting an outfit from Victoria's Secret to surprise him with. I know he'll enjoy that. As he likes to say, it's a present for us both! :lol:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 12th 2003, 5:32 pm

Anyone have any poems that they could recommend so that I can write it in my husband's V-Day card? Or do you know of any websites out there with poems and/or quotes I could use? I am having a brain fart, and I don't have the time or the energy to write my own this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

(Disclaimer: Of course I will give proper credit to the author of the work.)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 12th 2003, 5:52 pm

This Friday will be the second valentine's day in eight years that I haven't had a boyfriend. I didn't have a bf on v-day in 2000 and before that 1995 was the last year I was single. I was 12 in 1995. Pretty sad, huh? I generally don't get all worked up over v-day either. I mean, it's nice to do something I guess, but it can be really simple. Even just making pudding or taking a walk together. A mix tape can be a simultaneously sweet and corny gift!

V-day is going to come and go for me quite unceremoniously. No romance for me at all. My parents are driving down from Wisconsin on Friday to spend the weekend. I told them to stop off at a motel on the way down and get all that lovey-dovey out of their systems before they get here. There will be no hanky-panky in my apartment! (Actually, it makes me feel good that they are still so much in love after 24 years. I don't mind that at all! Gives me hope for my own future!)
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 13th 2003, 6:00 am

I think valentines day is nice so long as you don't go overboard.

This year (as we have NO money) he's cooking me a lovely meal at home, and we've got a left-over bottle of champers from our engagement so we'll drink that. I like the idea of effort over money.

We usually buy something little (this year I've got him James Bond cufflinks - a photo of JB embossed in antique style metal) for each other but it's really about not making it trashy and tacky.

:)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------