Favorite MSCL Moment

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Christina
Tino

Favorite MSCL Moment

Post by Christina » Jul 3rd 2000, 4:02 pm

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite moment in all
of the MSCL episodes. Mine is at the end of "Self Esteem" when
Jordan walks down the hall holding Angela's hand and they play
that Buffalo Tom song. That actually made me cry the first time
it was aired.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Favorite MSCL Moment

Post by Jack » Jul 3rd 2000, 5:02 pm

The moment you describe is considered one of the 100 most romantic
moments in television history. I cannot remember who compiled the list.

Jack

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Jul 4th 2000, 12:53 pm

I could be wrong but didn't TV Guide do the 100 most romantic moments. I could have confused it with something else so I'm not positive that's right.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 4th 2000, 4:08 pm

I don't know, but since we're on the subject, I do know that TV Guide voted
"Life Of Brian" one of the 100 greatest episodes of television history. That's
a powerful statement. One short-lived TV show having both, one of the most
romantic moments and one of the best episodes of all time. Incredible. Well,
thankfully we have sites like this to keep it alive.

Jack

Post by Guest » Jul 7th 2000, 11:09 pm

This is Alee (like anyone cares) but anyway I forgot my password.....I'm pretty sure it was TV guide.

RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

Post by RyeBlume » Feb 2nd 2002, 9:37 pm

I wanted to bring this post back to life because I think one of the most amazing things about MSCL is the fact that certain moments can hit you hard... even if it is not a super critical turning point in terms of plot. you just don't get that with a lot of other shows.
My favorite MSCL moment EVER is probably the end of the pilot episode. When Angela says "We did... we had a time" and then the camera freezes on her smiling face... smiling and alive and, well, hopeful, despite all the uncertainties in her life and all the pain to come. I mean... WOW. I'm a strong believer in hope... in the idea that for most people there is so much to be unsure of and scared of that ultimately you just have to take a step back and a deep breath and find a moment of peace. Well, I guess that's a combination of hope and avoidance... but the point is that we NEED that, and in order to step away from pain I think you have to have a certain degree of hope that things will turn out ok. I am utterly blown away with how well MSCL conveys the human need to be content against all odds. In every episode the characters go through pain, they learn something, they grow, and at the end of nearly every episode it is like I can feel angela taking a breath. Like at the end of pressure when she rides her bike down the hill, at the end of so-called angels when they all reach a temporary level of happiness even though the fight isn't over for Rickie, and of course the breathtaking ending of Other People's Daughters.

Sorry... I'm having a "MSCL-attack" where i feel the need to rant and rave about what a great show it was and WHY. Thank goodness for Winnie Holzman.

-Frankie

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 2nd 2002, 9:59 pm

Following your last thought....May I mention the ending of The Zit.?. NOW THAT WAS POWERFUL STUFF!!!! At least I thougt it was.

k-man

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 2nd 2002, 10:13 pm

I think that these days my favorite scene would have to be in "Why Jordan Can't Read" when Angela and Jordan argue about the 5-page letter. If my memory serves me right; I think I read somewhere on the net that the ending of "Self Esteem" was voted one of the 10 most romantic moments in television history by TV Guide.

k-man

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 3rd 2002, 6:25 pm

I agree - this (The Zit) is such a powerful episode and I relate strongly to it (it always makes me cry as does 'So-called Angels'). Thinking of my favourite scene from MSCL is a toughie and there are far too many scenes to possibly choose from!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 4th 2002, 1:00 pm

Favorite MSCL moment --- Whew... that's tough (There's so many great moments). It's been a while since I watched the shows, so maybe mine should be called "my most memorable moment". Thinking back, there are two that stick in my mind the most: Brian and Angela talking on the street at the end of the pilot, and then Brian and Angela again at the end of the final episode. The two scenes mirror each other beautifully and encapsulize the whole story of the show.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 4th 2002, 1:08 pm

Picking a favorite moment is tough. Maybe someone should create a post that goes something like,"Other than the ending of 'Self Esteem' what is your favorite MSCL moment?". That may get some interesting answers.

k-man

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 5th 2002, 5:15 am

Well, "other than the ending of Self-Esteem (can there be anything more beautiful?)," I love when Angela first gets a chance to visit Rayanne's apartment and is captivated by the mystical quality of Amber's domain. There's something about that look in Angela's eyes that shows how she realizes she is entering another world, not only literally but figuratively.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 5th 2002, 7:32 pm

I think it's funny when Angela mentions Rayanne's house was like entering another country 'not that she'd been to another country'. I have travelled to the States about 8 different times and despite meeting ALOT of Americans over the years I have rarely met an American that has actually left their own state never mind bothering with the rest of the world -- so I think as a non-American looking in on Angela's naive views she used the perfect definition when entering Rayanne's house. It was just a great description to explain the moment that couldn't quite be captured on camera.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 28th 2002, 3:42 pm

You don't have to apologize for your rant - you have come to the right place =) Sometimes I see the crap on tv and it makes me appreciate MSCL that much more - for its honesty, for the writing, the acting, how it was so good that it hurt.

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 3rd 2002, 10:32 am

As everyone has already mentioned, there are so many beautiful and defining moments that are special. For me the ending scenes of Pressure are splendid, espcially when she rides down the hill on Brian's bicycle. Angela's voiceover right then speaks volumes to me, particularly at this point in my life.

I also adore:
ending of Self Esteem
the church scened in So-Called Angels
Rickie and Delia's crazy dancing at the World Happiness Dance
end of the Pilot
end of In Dreams...
etc.
etc.
etc.

=) Hope Springs Eternal