Claire Danes movies..

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Feb 6th 2003, 3:24 am

Since films are perhaps the most collaborative of art forms, it may have been the case that Ms. Danes picked some projects that looked good on paper but merely faltered on execution -- poor direction, bad marketing, whatever.

I've seen Polish Wedding, To Gillian, Les Miserables, Brokedown Palace and bits of the Mod Squad (God bless cable on all accounts). I can see how the projects' concepts would have been appealing, but I think most of them lacked something. Les Mis and Brokedown Palace both seemed to do everything right and still didn't succeed as films: some movies have an inherent "spark," and some don't.

At any rate, it seemed to me that Ms. Danes' performance was good in all those films, so I think it premature to conclude she's overrated.

...and, put simply, Romeo + Juliet is brilliant.

One final note: if I've read correctly, Flora Plum no longer stars Russell Crowe. It stars Ewan McGregor opposite Claire Danes.

Fun. :)
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 6th 2003, 10:28 am

I saw The Mod Squad. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I enjoyed it.

I don't think I can write an in depth review. However, the music, clothes, and story are decent. Clarie looks hot. :twisted: I definitely think it is worth renting. As for buying the DVD, I guess it depends on how much you like Claire. :wink:
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 6th 2003, 11:25 am

The only thing I liked about the Mod Squad were the clothes and the cars. Oh, and Claire's hair was cool.

There's me review.

:lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Feb 8th 2003, 3:01 pm

It's tangential relationship with the original TV show didn't help at all: critics were expecting something else entirely.
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 8th 2003, 7:06 pm

Bubba wrote:It's tangential relationship with the original TV show didn't help at all: critics were expecting something else entirely.
I agree. There were too many expectations for the movie. I barely remember the original Mod Squad on TV. In and of itself, Claire's movie is OK. If the producers and marketers had focused on the movie and not tried to so blatantly cash in on the "from TV to the big screen" craze, it might have been more successful commercially.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 8th 2003, 10:58 pm

I bought "Igby Goes Down" a couple of days ago and watched it. This was my first "blind buy." I liked it, but I think I have to watch it a couple more times for it to grow on me. Claire is definitely NOT Angela in this movie. She did a great job, and I also think that Keiran Culkin was excellent in his first starring role.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Feb 9th 2003, 4:04 pm

I agree with you bubba, 100%!

There are SO any actors/actresses whom have been in films that had so much potential, but completely bombed theatrically and critically.

I'm a huge Drew Barrymore fan and collector...and I'm the first to admit that she isn't the greatest actress in the world. To top it off, a lot of the films she has been in have been flops...although she has been praised for several of her performances as well...she was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role in "Guncrazy", and is currently being praised for her work in "Confessions of a dangerous mind". However, in my opinion, a lot of films that are LOVED by the critics aren't very fun to watch...I have found myself falling asleep during many Oscar nominated flicks! Hehe!

Back to Claire and my point...Claire is a great actress...stick her in a bubblegum commercial and she'd shine...she has that natural wonderful talent. So maybe some of her films haven't been Oscar calibur, but lets try to find one actress who doesn't have a few 'flops' in their history! Hehe!

xxx,
Nita

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 11th 2003, 3:06 am

It's not that Claire has made a tremendous string of "flops," it's just that she's made a tremendous string of painfully unenjoyable bad movies, until recently. Just my opinion...
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 11th 2003, 9:47 am

Good actors and actresses shine bad movies. Maybe it's just that they get a benefit of the doubt. However, I think talent tends to shine through.
TomSpeed

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Feb 11th 2003, 8:02 pm

Jim,

Isn't that what a flop is? a painfully unenjoyable bad movie?

xxx,
Nita

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 11th 2003, 9:50 pm

Many movies that don't make it financially or critically build a following and live on well after their initial theater run. Some movies grow on people and become more renowned as time passes. I'll throw out two movies as examples: Blue Velvet and Reservior Dogs. I'm not saying that any of Claire's movies will make it to the same level as those movies. I haven't seen all of her movies. But, I have a feeling that some of her movies might just make it. She definitely has talent. It will be recognized.
TomSpeed

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 11th 2003, 11:41 pm

missmarmalade wrote:Jim,

Isn't that what a flop is? a painfully unenjoyable bad movie?
xxx,
Nita
I'm interpreting what you call a "flop" as a financial flop, a box office flop, a movie that disappears after a week. Romeo and Juliet was a hit, I just didn't like it at all.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 12th 2003, 12:21 am

I think Claire, like many other talented actresses, have been hit with the problem of not making it into the A-list eschelon of Hollywood's talent elite, but she's starting to break it down.

For a long time, she has been Angela Chase. Endlessly. And as good of a role that was for her, it also hurt her career because she was synomous with a show that was long gone.

Her acting is very good, she's cerebral and can show a wide range of emotions. The problem is getting roles.

I think she's now only starting to break out of Angela Chase, and becoming her own personality. The long time in between has helped, her disappearance did as well.

This is a good time for her, and ripe with possibilities.

Gary

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 12th 2003, 12:36 am

The problem with actors and actresses trying to break type-casting is that they sometimes go to far. They choose the wrong roles. What happened to Lisa Bonet is a good example. I think Claire has done better choosing her roles.

One bad thing about Amazon.com is that if you want free shipping, you have to group things according to availability. Igby Goes Down is now available on DVD, but another of Claire's movies I ordered is not yet available. I really want to see Igby. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Oh well, if I complete my Claire film catalogue before the end of the year, I'll be happy. I just have to be patient.
TomSpeed

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 12th 2003, 12:49 am

The problem with actors and actresses trying to break type-casting is that they sometimes go to far. They choose the wrong roles. What happened to Lisa Bonet is a good example. I think Claire has done better choosing her roles.
Bonet is a great example. Going from tv to film and then try too hard by taking on a role that will just typecast you again does nothing for you. I suppose you can chalk it up to "taking a chance", but she went overboard.

Alyssa Milano's career always seems like it's going off the deep end. One minute she's in a indie pic like "Hugo Pool", trying to move away from her "Who's The Boss?" image, the next minute she's in a soft core vampire film. Now, she's back on tv. I need a flow chart to follow her.

There's others who have fared better, like Christina Applegate. The common thread is that all of them have taken huge chances at one time or another to break typecasting.

Gary