The sopranos

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
red mosquito

The sopranos

Post by red mosquito » Feb 5th 2003, 10:02 am

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the sopranos here yet. It's (IMHO) the best thing that's graced TV (and DVDs) in YEARS. Yea, Buffy's really good and 24 is quite watchable... but compared to OZ and the sopranos?

What do the 'Lifers' here think about the sopranos anyway?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 5th 2003, 10:34 am

This show, along with 24 and Alias, I have missed the boat on. Since I didn't watch it from the beginning, I have this weird idea that I could never get into it, b/c I missed so much. My husband and I tried to watch a few this season, but I just couldn't get hooked. At some point, we are going to try to rent the DVD sets and watch all of the seasons.

Of course, this is coming from a confessed WB addict, so no one ever said I had great taste in television (besides MSCL). :roll:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 5th 2003, 11:00 am

The Sopranos is a great show, especially the first season was really cool. There are very good directors on the show, the camera work is amazing. That episode in S3 where those two guys (sorry, I'm not good with names ;-) ) were lost in the woods in the winter was hilarious. Sadly, the scripts are lacking sometimes. The fourth season was a little bit slow - they started many storylines but didn't really finish any of them. I'm always waiting for a big "boom" or something like that. But I guess the final fifth season will be better...

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 5th 2003, 11:03 am

I enjoyed the Sapranos right up until last season. The build up to the season ending kept me watching hoping that somthing interesting would happen... only to be horribly let down by the extremly weak storyline.

To keep with the idea of pushing tv stories further they should have killed Tony and then played up Meadow taking over the family next season.

Just my two cents.

PS: Sascha it was Paulie and Christopher who were lost.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 5th 2003, 11:43 am

I never watch The Sopranos, OZ or Alias for two simple reasons. I don't have cable and I can't get ABC on my antique TV. :cry: I would very much like to see all of these shows and plan on renting/buying them on DVD in the near future. When Alias first came on it ran opposite Angel on the WB so I never considered watching it. But now that Angel is on Wed. I would really like to watch Alias but I can't get the channel. So for now; the illustrious Ms. J. Garner will have to wait.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 5th 2003, 3:38 pm

I missed the initial boat on a lot of these shows because I didn't have HBO. Well to be accurate, I still don't have HBO but I do have Netflix so I am slowly but surely catching up. We finally finished all three seasons of the Sopranos - we just watched Paulie and Christopher lost in the snow last weekend and it was hilarious! We have watched the first two seasons of Oz, which I also love. Tonight we begin Six Feet Under.

My only complaint to HBO? Get those DVDs out faster!

I won't quibble with red mosquito's opinion that Oz and the Sopranos are better than Buffy and 24 because he/she is entitled to his/her opinion, but I personally don't like to compare shows or assess which of the shows I like is better. Why? Many reasons - different genres, different audiences, different budgets, different networks (a lot more freedom on cable), etc. I wouldn't even compare Oz and the Sopranos even though they are both on HBO and have similar audiences. I'm happy just to say that I like both shows and that they both have their good points. That said, there is no way I could ever try to compare Buffy to MSCL or the Shield to 24. I'll just say I'm much happier with my tv selections than I have been in the past (despite all the crap that is still on!).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 2nd 2003, 4:56 pm

S4 will be released on October 28 - woo hoo!! It's about frickin' time :wink:

From tvshowsondvd:
It's tough times in Jersey for Tony Soprano. The sluggish economy hasn't been good for the family business. His wife Carmela is angling for more financial security. Some longtime lieutenants aren't happy with Tony's recent decisions. A rival boss wants a bigger piece of the suburban pie. A Soprano is actually heading to trial for the first time in decades. At least one child seems to have lost interest in higher education. And the ducks aren't coming back anytime soon.

13 Episodes:
1. For All Debts Public & Private
2. No-Show
3. Christopher
4. The Weight
5. Pie-O-My
6. Everybody Hurts
7. Watching Too Much Television
8. Mergers & Acquisitions
9. Whoever Did This
10. The Strong, Silent Type
11. Calling All Cars
12. Eloise
13. Whitecaps

Street Date: 10/28/03
MSRP: $99.98
DVDs: 4

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Sound Track Language: English
Closed Captioning: Yes
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Sound Quality:
Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
Dolby Surround Stereo - Spanish
Dolby Surround Stereo - French

Supplements:
Audio Commentary : Audio commentary on Episode 4 with writer Terence Winter
Audio commentary on Episode 6 with writer/actor Michael Imperioli
Audio commentary on Episode 8 with writers Robin Green & Mitchell
Audio commentary on Episode 13 with series creator/writer David Chase
Easter Eggs
Episodic Previews
Episodic Recaps

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Aug 2nd 2003, 6:48 pm

Thanks to Blockbuster DVD's I have just about finished season 3 of the Sopranos. What a good show this is! I am glad to hear season 4 is just around the corner. Thanks Candygirl for posting the info. BTW, do you know when/if the next season of OZ will be rentable?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 24th 2004, 11:14 pm

Dude! Last night was hectic! I've been waiting all season for the s**t to go down and finally one of the story lines played out. It seems that this whole season has just been building up to these last two episodes but I'm afraid that, in typical Soprano style, a lot of it will just go unresolved (i.e. the whole Russisan story).
[spoiler]It has been more than obvious what was going to happen to Adriana, but it's still sad when it happens. I can't believe Tony and Carm moved back in together "it's f***ing weird" to quote AJ. Before the season started I thought things were going to get CRAZY between them, but it's kind of been anti-climatic.[/spoiler] So, what do you think Tony's going to do about Tony B.? One more episode...
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 25th 2004, 1:33 pm

I finally finished Soprano's S4 a little while back and I think it is still great. I will have to wait for S5 on DVD at Blockbuster but from what I hear, S5 is way good. That scene toward the end of S4 where everyone gathers to confront Christopher about his addiction is an absolute RIOT! When Tony hears about the dog, that was too funny! It is just sad IMHO the series is ending. I have not been able to watch OZ S3 yet as none of the crappy BlockBuster stores around here stock it. :x Can anyone tell me if S3 was the last season for OZ?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 25th 2004, 3:41 pm

There were six seasons of Oz, but so far only three have been released on DVD.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 25th 2004, 4:18 pm

Thank you my dear!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 26th 2004, 12:06 am

K-man wrote:When Tony hears about the dog, that was too funny!
I don't remember that particular story, but you just gotta love the Sopranos and their freakin' animal obsession: the ducks, the horse, various dogs, and now the bear!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 26th 2004, 12:24 am

K-man wrote:Thank you my dear!
My pleasure - good to see you on the forum again!

:mrgreen:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 17th 2005, 4:05 pm

Info from tvshowsondvd:
Our good friend David Bianculli at the New York Daily News got an exciting scoop on the fifth season of The Sopranos. With the sixth and final season of The Sopranos not airing until 2006, and the release of the fourth season to DVD way back in 2003, HBO has decided to step up the release of The Sopranos - Season 5. Instead of releasing it just before the start of season 6, they've instead set June 7th as the new street date (just in time for Father's Day). That is much sooner than the "fourth quarter, 2005" plans HBO revealed to Video Business last Fall.

Today's Daily News article mentions the planned extras for this release, too! Here's a quote:
Four directors will provide commentary for the fifth-season box, including Mike Figgis and "Sopranos" fifth season recurring guest star Steve Buscemi.
You can read the whole article at the NY Daily News website. Thanks to Stacy V and Diane Werts for the heads up.