MSCL/Boston Public

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

MSCL/Boston Public

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 4th 2003, 4:55 am

On tonight's episode of Boston Public, one of the female students writes a poem about an oak tree.

I know, I know, it could be a coincidence but I prefer to see it as an homage to MSCL.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 4th 2003, 11:47 am

I kind of like Boston Public. It's not as good as MSCL, but BP is an OK show. It deals with important issues. It often sensationalizes those issues though. The fact that BP examines the lives of teachers and other staff members is also interesting. People don't really think that teachers have real lives. The Principal is a strong character. However, BP lacks MSCL's central focus on one character. And, many of the characters in BP are merely stereotypes. So, BP is not MSCL. I think the writers of BP are paying homage to the writers of MSCL. Or, they've run out of ideas.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 4th 2003, 12:54 pm

Hee, did you catch the teacher asking for answers from "somebody other than" the know-it-all girl?

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 4th 2003, 1:08 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I think the writers of BP are paying homage to the writers of MSCL.
Remember, the head writer of BP was also a writer on MSCL (Jason Katims).

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 4th 2003, 1:10 pm

sab wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:I think the writers of BP are paying homage to the writers of MSCL.
Remember, the head writer of BP was also a writer on MSCL (Jason Katims).
So, he's paying homage to himself? Or, is he copying himself? I'm leaning more towards saying that the writers of BP have run out of ideas.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 4th 2003, 3:09 pm

Fisrst of all, Mon. night's ep listed Jason Katims as not only one of the writers but also as an executive producer. Makes for a heavy MSCL influence I'd say. For those who haven't seen the first two seasons of BP, I think the first season was WAY better than those since. While I have always maintained this is a good show, it seems the creators have (unfortunately) opted to phase out the original cast and replace them with more notable actors/actresses. Another factor is that each year as the season winds to an end in the Spring, all the cast who play seniors graduate and leave the show. Seems some interesting characters have left for college or just left. While I still watch every week, I agree the show has slipped considerably.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 5th 2003, 1:46 am

I'm sorry, but I really, really despise this show. Every episode deals with these completely unrealistic, over-the-top issues which would make for an interesting episode once in a while, but the fact that we've seen teachers sleeping with students, teachers fighting students, and students shooting each other all in the same school in seemingly the same year is completely ridiculous. I mean, I know I'm 4-5 years removed from high school, but I really don't think I remember it being like that. I now Jason Katims is involved with the show and he wrote MSCL classics like Life of Brian, but I guess it just goes to show, strong characters is the key ingredient to good writing.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 5th 2003, 10:25 pm

It's an older topic, but I though "why not?", and here I am.

First the on-topic part; I'm sure every writer recycles his or her own ideas at some point in their careers. Little details, like chatacter name or what a poem is about, will be reused either because it worked or it has meaning to them.

Or, like mentioned here, it's a homage to oneself.

Off-topic; I'm the son of two teachers, and for some bizarre reason, I'm working my way towards becoming one as well (dear God, those poor kids).

When I watched the first season of BP, before Seven of Nine showed up and every teacher seemed to be under investigation for something, the show was still a mass of one completely unbelievable situation after another.

Teacher fires a gun. Keeps his job.
Racism. Keep their job.
Brat runs a web site about school scandals. Gets to keep the site.

Each episode had enough... stuff that a normal high school wouldn't see in thirty years, but it was status quo for BP.

Hey - I'm all for suspension of reality, but that show was delusional from the first episode. I kept watching through the first season, liked some of the characters, though some plots were interesting. But the outrageous started taking over the subtle, and I was out.

Oh well. Could've been good.

Gary

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 6th 2003, 6:50 am

When was a David E. Kelley show ever realistic? Picket Fences, Ally McBeal and even The Practice (at least in some cases) are mostly unrealistic shows with weird and absurd storylines. But that's fun of it IMHO. If you watch a DEK drama and are hoping for realistic and serious entertainment, then you're going to be disappointed.

Just my 0.02 Euro.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 6th 2003, 2:17 pm

I agree Sascha. DEK, FOX, the writers, producers, directors, actors etc. never claim this is any sort of documentary or real-life show. That's the point. IT'S A TV SHOW! All the hacks I have read/heard against BP are that it could never happen in a real school. If it were like a real school...how boring would that show be? While I would say that the show has gone downhill since the 7of9's and M Rappaport's have arrived. I like it better when nobody knew any of the cast and it seemed they relied more on storylines than actor/actress market value.

Real Life

Post by Guest » Mar 13th 2003, 10:50 pm

I am a teacher at an inner city school in San Francisco and I once watched Boston Public for about 15 minutes before I turned it off in disgust. It's portrayal of teachers and students in that environment is so unrealistic I found it insulting. This is why MSCL is so great- they actually have teachers doing and saying REAL things- I've even heard myself say some of the things that Katimsky says (i.e. don't let the fact that you're teacher is a dork prevent you from fulfilling your full potential, etc.)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 19th 2003, 11:27 pm

K-man wrote:All the hacks I have read/heard against BP are that it could never happen in a real school. If it were like a real school...how boring would that show be?
How boring was MSCL?

There's a difference between unrealistic and over-the-top. This is is the prime example.

Oh, and now what's this I see on the commercials? They've brought in a non-actor from American Idol? Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get worse...
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 20th 2003, 12:06 am

Heh, and of course her character has the lead in the school musical!

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 20th 2003, 9:51 pm

dTheater wrote:
K-man wrote:All the hacks I have read/heard against BP are that it could never happen in a real school. If it were like a real school...how boring would that show be?
How boring was MSCL?

There's a difference between unrealistic and over-the-top. This is is the prime example.

Oh, and now what's this I see on the commercials? They've brought in a non-actor from American Idol? Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get worse...
Sorry Jim for not indulging here.....I'm just not in the mood for an argument tonight. Too tired I guess. :?