Just Visiting....

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
starbug
Lifehead

Just Visiting....

Post by starbug » Jan 24th 2003, 6:45 am

Well, I'm really excited - just booked tickets for summer holidays!

Flying into Boston, then to Chicago, then to New York, then back home to London.

Can't wait :D

Anyway, there is a point to this -

Can anyone recommend any hotels in Boston or New York? Cheap-ish? I'm not too fussy but do want to stay somewhere relatively downtown in both cities - doesn't have to be plush but ensuite bathroom is a must... as is air con.

It's so hard to sift through all the internet stuff and get a real idea of what a place is like. So if anyone could recommend somewhere they have stayed I'd be grateful.

Cheers

:)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 24th 2003, 10:18 am

I stayed at the Hudson in New York City a few months ago. Very trendy. It's an Ian Schrager (Studio 54) hotel. Not too expensive, and it's on Broadway. The rooms were a bit small, but the bed was very comfortable! I also ate at the restaurant there, which was delicious.

http://www.tablethotels.com/saEngine/bo ... nguageId=1

http://www.ianschragerhotels.com/home.html?hudson

Have a great vacation, whatever you decide to do! :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 24th 2003, 2:47 pm

Lucky girl! It will be sweltering, so pack accordingly. "It's not the heat, it's the humidity!"

I know it's a few months away, but you know we will want a full report of your travels.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 25th 2003, 11:10 pm

One place that might be good to find hotel deals is Hotels.com, which is where I got a great deal on a hotel when I went to Toronto last year.

So what are you planning on doing when you're in my neck of the woods?
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 27th 2003, 6:23 am

Well, thanks for the tips - I've checked out a couple of links... what I love is I get to plan this while being at work - it really takes the edge off a bad day :D

I've heard that during summer in NY the humidity is legendary - I've been to Chicago in the summer a few times and I did find it tough, but I sense nothing will prepare me for it this time. Coming from the temperate climate that I do, I felt really stifled and tired all the time. After a few days I got used to it though...

Been to Chicago tons of times (approx 16, but I've lost count) as my family are from there. We visit as often as possible, but this trip is something special as it's my grandmother's 90th birthday. Her one big wish was to have all her descendants at a party and to get a photograph of her with everyone, so that's what we're doing. Plus she's been writing her memoirs and so she will present everybody with a copy then. I'm really looking forward to it - it's not often you get my whole family in one place (should be about 50 of us, ranging in age from 5 months or so to 90 years)...

I've also been to Boston once before and really enjoyed it.
My boyfriend (who is coming along to meet the family) has been to the USA before but never to the east coast or the midwest so we're trying to make more of a trip of it, as it seems daft to fly all that way and not see more than one city.

While in Chicago, I'm sure we'll do all the usual stuff (Sears Tower, Watertower place, the Architectural Boat Tour down the river, the Art Institute etc), plenty of shopping and general going out. It'll be a little rushed as we have so many people to see but my uncle and aunt live on State Street about a 10 min walk from the acquarium so hopefully we can stay with them for a couple of days and have a touring base.

I'm most excited about seeing NY as I've never been (despite having visited the USA more times than I can count). None of my relatives ever lived there, which could explain it.

I will of course provide a full report of my entire trip. If I can put down the donuts (and cinamon buns, and cheerios, and hershey's kisses) long enough to type something out :P

roll on August...

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Starbug's Holiday

Post by lance » Jan 27th 2003, 10:27 am

Starbug,

Sounds cool, hope you have a blast.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 2:30 pm

One year my family went to Chicago to visit some family and we managed to inadvertently time the trip so that we hit the Art Institute, the planetarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium on all the free days - woo hoo!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 2nd 2003, 7:14 am

Starbug, your coming trip sounds amazing, and I hope you and your special someone get a chance to do all the fun things you can while here in the States.

Candygirl, your comments about free days at Chicago's museums reminds me that I MUST make time to at least visit the Museum of Science & Industry soon. It's been way too long already.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard