Calling all fans of the "Alien" movies

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Calling all fans of the "Alien" movies

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 10:11 pm

I wasn't even aware that it was out yet, but the new Special Edition for the X-Men movie ("X-Men 1.5") apparently has a brochure inside with this little surprise...

[EDIT: the server that hosted the image has removed it. I will try to find a new one. -g]

No specs as of yet, but a nine disc set means two discs per film and another for whatever they can drum up.

Gary
(No, really. Is "Quadrilogy" a word?)
Last edited by GaryEA on Feb 26th 2003, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jan 28th 2003, 10:28 pm

Dammit, I HATE it when they do this! I go out and buy the "box set" of a series like this, and then a year later, they come out with a freakin' better one! GRRR!

I wasted $30 on that Star Wars Episode I widescreen VHS crap, because "We are not going to release Episode I on DVD." And what do they do, a year later, they release it on dvd.

Freakin hell... :? :D
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 10:50 pm

I know what you mean. I already have the Alien Legacy set, plus the mail-away fifth disc, so hearing about a nine disc set makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve to fill the set.

Possibilities:

New cuts of each film, either separately or by using seamless branching, integrating deleted or alternate scenes. The movie I'd love to see this used for is the third film. A work print exists that supposedly improves upon the final cut, and leans towards Fincher's original ideas.

The Giger Alien documentary, narrated by Giger, where he explains the designs for the Alien, the pilot, face hugger and so on. I have this on tape and I love it.

Solid production material. Not fluff. Not just the original EPK stuff. I'm talking about Episode I "The Beginning"-style material. Seriously immersive. It can be done.

A look into the aborted "Alien versus Predator" and "Alien 5" films. This may never happen as both films are always on the cusp of being put into pre-production (the former more than the latter).

Screenplays, early drafts, writer's notes - and not via the web. ON the disc. Okay, that part will never happen, but I can dream...

I really don't have the cash for this, the more I think about it. We'll see.

Gary

p.s. It only just dawned on me that the artwork is a "Q" with an "A" inside - Alien Quadrilogy. Damn, I'm slow... :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 1:27 am

Ooooooo... see it pays to be a slacker :)

I will definitely pick this up when it comes out. Since I never seem to actaully buy the available set when i see it, I can now rejoice :)

Thanks for the info Gary..this kicks much ass!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2003, 2:04 am

Don't you love when your procrastination turns out to be justified?

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 3:02 am

candygirl wrote:Don't you love when your procrastination turns out to be justified?

:wink:
yes i do :)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

set

Post by lance » Jan 29th 2003, 9:31 am

Hey,

Pretty cool, except I really didn't like the third movie. The fourth was okay. So unless the extras really kick but, I think I will pass on this one.

Best,

Lance Man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 29th 2003, 10:56 pm

I might procure the new Alien box set. I only have one and two on tapes I made from HBO. So, it will be a great chance to boost my DVD inventory. I'm only at 45 DVDs. I started late. Maybe I procrastinated?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 30th 2003, 12:22 am

TomSpeed wrote: I'm only at 45 DVDs.
NOOB! :twisted:

j/k ;)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 30th 2003, 12:49 am

This is coming from a digital junkie, who's in desparate need of a DVD twelve step program...

...oh wait. I just described myself. DAMN!

:D

Gary

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 30th 2003, 7:30 am

I LOVE the Alien Series (except the 4th one).

Did I read somewhere that there was a 5th movie the pipeline where the Aliens reached earth? Or did I dream about that?

I'll definitely be saving my cash for this as I'd love the Extras and although I have the VHS (directors cut where poss) I'd love DVD even more. YAY!

Thanks for the heads up!
:)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 30th 2003, 12:13 pm

GaryEA wrote:
This is coming from a digital junkie, who's in desparate need of a DVD twelve step program...

...oh wait. I just described myself. DAMN!

:D

Gary
First step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is getting a large raise to support your habit :D

I am right there with you, ohhh, shiny!

Best,

Lance Man

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 30th 2003, 1:18 pm

starbug wrote:Did I read somewhere that there was a 5th movie the pipeline where the Aliens reached earth? Or did I dream about that?
There were rumors about a fifth movie since 1997, but it got very silent in the past years. Check http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/alien5.html for details.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Aliens

Post by lance » Feb 2nd 2003, 10:50 am

Hey all,

Anybody know if there are plans for more Aliens movies? I have heard rumors of a Alien vs Predator movie. Anyone know anything about that one?

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 2nd 2003, 8:54 pm

Just as Sascha mentioned, the proposed fifth film, which would have continued the story started in "Alien Resurrection", has been stalled for years.

The AvP film, which could conceivably star either Ah-nold or Weaver as the unlucky human in the middle, has also been a dead project. Budgets, they say.

But who knows? The release of this box set could be used as a gague to see just how much "Alien" has left in it in terms of popularity, which can then be translated as a reason to make one. If it sells like hot cakes, Fox could easily say that A5 is back in pre-production (though that could mean nothing more than phone calls or script reviews).

Gary