Locations

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 4:10 pm

K-man wrote:Fnordboy, two questions:

Are you close to Newark or Jersey city?

I may have to compare car insurance rates with you. At least when I lived in Phoenix. My rates tripled when I moved there. At the time, AZ had the highest rate of car theft in the nation. Remember it is only 3 short hours to Mexico. (1 or so from Tuscon.)
On the border of Jersey City, not too far from Newark (about a 15 - 20 min drive...faster in a stolen car lol). :)

I'm paying around 1850 for a 6 year old car with bare bones insurance (ie no collision) and a 1000 deductible. That is a much better price than the 3600 I was paying back when I bought the car. Besides the theft issues there are a lot of uninsured drivers in the area.
Last edited by fnordboy on Jan 29th 2003, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 29th 2003, 4:16 pm

Hello all,

Just making a living, here in Cincinnati.

Best.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 4:18 pm

Megs wrote:The suburbs of DC are outrageously expensive, too. For a starter home, a TOWNHOUSE, they start in the $500,000s. Can you belive that? Half a mil for a townhouse that isn't even built solidly. Some TH in Georgetown and DC go for one million dollars. I can't believe that. I hate this area. :evil:

I won't tell you how much we pay for rent. It's crazy.
I hear what you're saying. Maybe expensive but it is atleast a nice area. Totally understandable for Georgetown though, it is yuppieville, though I havent been there in years.

Basically rent here is like 750 - 850 for a very small crappy studio apt. and anywhere from 800 - 950 for small roach infested 3 room apartment (picture Joe's Apartment, just not as many 'visible' roaches) any 3 room over 950 though is basically going to be somewhat clean (most of the times). I wouldn't mind if the area was nice, but it isn't. High crime rate, lots of gang/gang-like activity, the usual extremely urban area bullsh!t.

And we won't even talk about the rent in Hoboken lol...it is waaay out there.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 29th 2003, 4:26 pm

Quick reply before I get back to work...

I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, not that far from fnordboy, but in the suburbs.

I love the area - the pace, the hills (My brain starts to melt when there aren't any hills around me), the people just rock (except when they drive), having 90 shopping malls within a four mile radius, and, of course, having Manhattan (where I went to college) just over the hill.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 4:29 pm

GaryEA wrote:Quick reply before I get back to work...

I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, not that far from fnordboy, but in the suburbs.

I love the area - the pace, the hills (My brain starts to melt when there aren't any hills around me), the people just rock (except when they drive), having 90 shopping malls within a four mile radius, and, of course, having Manhattan (where I went to college) just over the hill.

Gary
Exactly. Almost all the same reasons I love it here. Plus the world doesnt shut down at 8 or 9 o'clock like most other places i've been too, MAJOR plus.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 29th 2003, 4:40 pm

Plus the world doesnt shut down at 8 or 9 o'clock like most other places i've been too, MAJOR plus.
Unless you're in Paramus... :D

Gary
(who's really going back to work now)
Last edited by GaryEA on Jan 29th 2003, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 29th 2003, 4:40 pm

[quote=I'm paying around 1850 for a 6 year old car with bare bones insurance (ie no collision) and a 1000 deductible. That is a much better price than the 3600 I was paying back when I bought the car. Besides the theft issues there are a lot of uninsured drivers in the area.[/quote]
Fnordboy,That is high. You may want to trade down from that Lexus you drive. :wink: In Jan. 1997 when I lived in AZ my insurance on a 13 yr old beater (liability only w/ $1000 deduct.) was $1300/yr. Today, who knows?
On a lighter note, my good friends family is from your area. His father grew up in Jersey City (way back when) and his relatives live in/near newark. I have been there once and I agree it seems like a great place. It has been like 12 years but I do remember all the shopping malls, crazy drivers, landscape much like where I live here in MO, great eating, and lots of girls! The subway was right at the end of his grandmothers backyard. We took the train into Manhattan, but the one day I get to NYC it is rainy and overcast. :cry: We could only see about the first two floors of the trade center. And the statue of liberty? forget about it. So we found a tavern in the Village and ate and drank and tried not to look too much like tourists.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2003, 4:49 pm

K-man wrote:Fnordboy,That is high. You may want to trade down from that Lexus you drive. :wink: In Jan. 1997 when I lived in AZ my insurance on a 13 yr old beater (liability only w/ $1000 deduct.) was $1300/yr. Today, who knows?
HA! I wish... im driving a cheap old Nissan Sentra..nothing special :lol:

uh-oh now Gary is going to stalk me ;)
K-man wrote:On a lighter note, my good friends family is from your area. His father grew up in Jersey City (way back when) and his relatives live in/near newark. I have been there once and I agree it seems like a great place. It has been like 12 years but I do remember all the shopping malls, crazy drivers, landscape much like where I live here in MO, great eating, and lots of girls! The subway was right at the end of his grandmothers backyard. We took the train into Manhattan, but the one day I get to NYC it is rainy and overcast. :cry: We could only see about the first two floors of the trade center. And the statue of liberty? forget about it. So we found a tavern in the Village and ate and drank and tried not to look too much like tourists.
Yeah it is a great area. I grew up going into the city all the time (my dad use to live in the village too). Anything you want you could get, which meant a lot more before the internet boom, believe me. And the best part about being so close to NYC, you don't have to live there but you get full benefits of it being there :)

And don't feel bad about missing any of the sites of the city. Hell I live here and never was in the WTC more than using that stop on the Path train, or being in the "mall" under it. Been in the Statue of Liberty once and the Empire State like twice. But of course I can walk 2 blocks up from my house and i have the NYC skyline with all those things (except of course the WTC).

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 29th 2003, 5:09 pm

We pay $1250 for a two-bedroom, 972 sf. And that is cheap for our area. Our friends pay about $1400 for the same. Crazy.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 29th 2003, 6:10 pm

I live in beautiful Tampa, FL. Home of the newly crowned champs of the NFL. Go Bucs! Anyway, wages are low, but the sun is almost always shining. No snow. Say no to snow! I live in an apartment about 10-15 minutes from work. There is a lot to do if you like water and like to drink a lot. Mostly, I just drink.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 29th 2003, 7:22 pm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with liking snow! I do! I think I'd really go nuts or get depressed if I were living in a climate with no significant weather change. But that's me. I need the cold and the snow to remind me that it's not summer anymore and I have to get my butt to work, otherwise I'd probably party all the time!

I was born and grew up in Madison, Wisconsin. My parents are from two other cities in Wisconsin. They met in Madison in the house that they now own (I know, it's oh-so-romantic). I moved to Kansas City to go to the University of MO-KC in 2001, when I was 18. I'm 20 now (I turn 21 in December on a Monday, how bad does that suck? The Monday part, I mean!) and I've been in KC ever since, but not for too much longer. I plan on finishing my BMA in composition in spring 2005, then moving to Chicago for my graduate degrees. And then...? That's all I've got for now.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 29th 2003, 9:48 pm

I turned 21 on a Monday. On my bar tour the night before (at midnight) no one was around. It was so dead! :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 29th 2003, 10:48 pm

Oh, I so remember turning 21. I was in my senior year at Clemson U. I'd been going out to bars, drinking at parties, etc., non-stop for the previous three years. Crazy times. Half of the time, bars didn't even check IDs. Clemson was, and probably still is, party central. Anyway, I turned 21, went down to a bar with a couple friends, and no one asked to check my ID. I didn't get carded until I stopped at a Bi-Lo store to stock the mini-fridge with beer. Then, I whipped that ID out. Anyway, after dabbling in sin for awhile beforehand, getting beer legally was not the same. Maybe like the first time I had sex, but that's...another story. :twisted:
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 30th 2003, 10:19 am

Yeah, by the time I became legal, I was over the drinking and bar scene. But I am the oldest 25 year old you will ever meet. I am an old soul. :wink:

In State College, (home of PSU) they card everybody at the front door, so I was so excited to hand over that ID. Heh.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 30th 2003, 12:08 pm

GaryEA wrote:Quick reply before I get back to work...

Gary
Gary,

I hear about that hills thing. Cincinnati is surrounded by 7 of them, being at the end of the glaciers path and all. Creeps me out everytime I go to Columbus or Houston. Where is the hills? It's too flat out here.

Best,

Lance Man