New York City Area Radio (Or, What a Mess...)

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

New York City Area Radio (Or, What a Mess...)

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 1:51 am

Well, it finally happened. WNEW, the station that started with hard rock and then moved to "hot talk" (I think that's the term), has turned to the dark side. Monday morning, they started playing Adult Contemporary, which is radio lingo for "crap".

I pretty much stopped listening months to 'NEW months ago after Don & Mike got screwed (here comes fnordboy! :twisted:) out of the region, although I still listened to Ron and Fez, which my g-friend was a HUGE fan of (she's really upset right now. No, I'm serious. She's bummed! :( ). About two years ago, when D&M first arrived and Opie and Anthony were still on, the station was fantastic. Now, it's been reduced to J Lo.

Sorry, not my style.

Okay, I'm sounding like a harsh, bitter guy, but the fact of the matter is I'm a talk radio kind of guy, and the station that delivered for me lately just "flipped" (radio lingo for dumping a format when your rating are nil). Plus, my lady love is depressed because tomorrow's commute home is going to be horrific for her. It's a quagmire, I tell ya.

So, Tri-State Area kids - what do YOU listen to? Ignore my snide comments - all music has an audience and that's cool with me. However, aside from of NPR (which I really enjoy), I have little to bend my ear whilst driving, talk or otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

oh what a night....kill me

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2003, 2:15 am

<sigh>

Brief History of WNEW:

Opie & Anthony appear...not bad...a bit to "guy" for me most of the time..but othertimes hilarious.

RonandFezdotCom appears and my life has meaning.

Don and Mike get dropped and the world (read as tri-state area) rejoices O&A always do win in the end :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (that was for you gary ;) )

OandA get canned and fear crept into our hearts.

RonandFez jump timeslot to timeslot, but the loyal few follow them wherever they go (except DC ;) )

Ron and Fez are canned...only on WJFK in DC now and J-Lo fills the airwaves.. :cry: :cry: I want my Auntie Fezzy-Wezzy back :(
-------------

I've been a long time listener of Ron and Fez, from back in the DotCom days. Loved them. Won one of their Friday Night Site Fights too :) got to be on the air with them and sucked hard. .. got the tape to prove it ;)

Today started out as a good day (even if it was a monday), today was my 8 year anniversary with my girlfriend, work was tolerable, i didnt have to use my AK. I get home tonight flip on 102 for some of Uncle Ronnie and Auntie Fezzies goodness (and to found out if they all go the tattoos they were going to for the superbowl [the world may never know now]), who is on my goddvmn radio but J-Lo??!?!?!?? :shock: :shock: IS this the end? Did i miss the "Your Mom's box" at the end of last weeks show?? Huh? Please let this be another one of their jokes...but wait last time they played country music...WTF?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Nobody makes me laugh like Ron and Fez...today sucked. It was liek the day when you turned on the radio to hear O&A and got Tom LickAss instead..horrid...

And poor R & F have to work in the same place as Don and Mike now...poor bastards.

R.I.P. Black Earl (patches, im depending on you son!) Al Dukes, Billy Staples, Rory, Hairy Elvis, Wonderboy, French bread Pizza and the rest of the R-F goils. And Ron and Fez, I will miss you most of all.

:cry:

R&F made the world more gooder ;)
Last edited by fnordboy on Jan 28th 2003, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jan 28th 2003, 2:16 am

Well, this won't work when you are in the car, but whenever I get the chance I listen to http://www.Radioparadise.com

It is very eclectic. They seem to focus on stuff that is just slightly off of mainstream, or good rock that you don't hear on the radio that often. I got turned onto it because of their World music selection. The only cds I've bought in the last 2 years I found out about through radioparadise. Its also one of the only sites that I have donated money to.

Check out their playlist here:
http://www.radioparadise.com/?content=playlist
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Well forgot the point of the thread...oops :)

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2003, 2:25 am

Ok so what i listen to ona daily basis:

on the way to work 9:20 - 10:00: Curtis and Kuby (sp?) on 770AM

Lunchtime anytime from 3 to 5: Sean Hannity 770AM (i hate hate hate him, but its like a trainwreck i have to listen)

Drive home 6:30 - 7:00 : Richard Bey and Stece Molzberg (sp?)

7:00 : apparently J-Lo and No Doubt now...<sigh> i hate my life

All throughout the day i will switch from station to station... highlights include 91.1 WFMU freeform radio..w00t! 89.5 when i want to relive my death metal youth, 92.3 for the rare chance of hearing a good song... 97.1 same as above.

At night I usually listen to Art Bell, well now Coast to Coast AM with George Nory (sp?)

There just isn't much of a selection these days on the airwaves, NYUs station is good at times, forgot what it is now though (89.3? maybe).

Yet another reason for me to think about XM radio...

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 2:33 am

Good summary there.

You forgot about the Radio Chick, who disappeared, reappeared, and then got canned again...

Listening to Ferrel's gravely voice, sounding like he was juicing up on the air...

Ron and Fez somehow ended up on two two timeslots...

Whatshisface...Lykus. Ugh. Yeah, yeah, you hate women we get it... now SHUT UP!

Letterman? On the radio? Bizarre.
And poor R & F have to work in the same place as Don and Mike now...poor bastards.
LOL... nice one. But at least they're working. :wink:

Did they actually play country today? Ack!

My girlfriend thinks it's a stunt - that they'll play really bad music for a week and then launch into a mix of talk and music (maybe R&F spinning tunes, and Letterman back on at night? Nah.).

Oh, I don't know.

Gary

p.s. Congrats on the anniversary! :D

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 2:34 am

Well, this won't work when you are in the car, but whenever I get the chance I listen to http://www.Radioparadise.com

It is very eclectic. They seem to focus on stuff that is just slightly off of mainstream, or good rock that you don't hear on the radio that often. I got turned onto it because of their World music selection. The only cds I've bought in the last 2 years I found out about through radioparadise. Its also one of the only sites that I have donated money to.

Check out their playlist here:
http://www.radioparadise.com/?content=playlist
Thanks! I'll give it a shot later today.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2003, 2:42 am

GaryEA wrote:Good summary there.

You forgot about the Radio Chick, who disappeared, reappeared, and then got canned again...

Listening to Ferrel's gravely voice, sounding like he was juicing up on the air...
Ah how could i forget them? Damn see what no R&F does to me??

[ferrel] howcanibethemanwhenyou'retheman?...shake it up[/ferrel]
GaryEA wrote: Did they actually play country today? Ack!
No, the week after O&A got the boot R&F joked around a lot about how WNEW was going to go country and one night played it for liek 20 mins as a prank...bastards.. No country tonight. Just a very odd mix of R&B, Hip-Hop, Adult Alternative Contemporary, and Poppy punk....didnt quite work :? .
GaryEA wrote:My girlfriend thinks it's a stunt - that they'll play really bad music for a week and then launch into a mix of talk and music (maybe R&F spinning tunes, and Letterman back on at night? Nah.).
I wish... Though they did still play Letterman tonight...go figure.
GaryEA wrote:p.s. Congrats on the anniversary! :D

I told her that R&F disappearing was one of her anniversary gifts :) , she didn't care for R&F too much...i should dump her :lol:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 28th 2003, 6:13 pm

Just got home and mein gott!, that station is a nightmare.

Mind you, my commute is about ten minutes (five if I go color-blind :wink:) , but I had to stop at CVS and the news stand, so I caught about a half hour's worth of the "programming".

I heard Eminem. Twice. The same song.

I read that the new format kicks in on the 10th, but they may scramble things up in the meantime to keep people interested. Whatever.

Fnordboy, you listen to a lot more than I do, most of the stuff you listed really isn't my keg of tea. Thankfully, NPR fills the void, but there's days when "All Things Considered" just doesn't satiate my need for humor.
[ferrel] howcanibethemanwhenyou'retheman?...shake it up[/ferrel]

LOL!
I told her that R&F disappearing was one of her anniversary gifts , she didn't care for R&F too much...i should dump her :lol:
Heh... what a romantic. :D

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2003, 6:31 pm

GaryEA wrote:Fnordboy, you listen to a lot more than I do, most of the stuff you listed really isn't my keg of tea. Thankfully, NPR fills the void, but there's days when "All Things Considered" just doesn't satiate my need for humor.

Yeah, about a year ago I would have said the same thing. AM radio sucked me in bad. The reason i mainly listen to talk radio nowadays is that there is nothing that I like on the radio music-wise. My tastes in music vary greatly but still no station can fill me up.

I'm a big big fan of indie rock and anything remotely post-punk. I hate the majority of the bands out since 1994, or they have since turned to sh!t ;).

So if I am not listening to one of my 1000s of CDs I will listen to talk radio, which is good since I don't get to read the paper everyday (except on the weekends).
GaryEA wrote:Heh... what a romantic. :D
I try ;)