Product placement in MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2003, 8:23 pm

I think that Angela's Jansport backpack was a BF nod towards reality because everyone (in the US) has had Jansports for as long as I can remember - they are sold everywhere, from Target to Cost Co to sporting goods stores at the mall. They are pretty cheap (which is why parents like them), they are pretty tough (I've only broken one in my entire life), and they come in tons of colors (which is why kids like them). Like I said before, Europeans always recognize the American backpackers on their summer vacations by the Jansports.

:D

As for Dawson's Creek - the first choice for the theme song was "Hand in My Pocket" (which was used to shop the pilot) but Alanis Morrisette ultimately declined because she said that she didn't want her song to forever be associated as "the Dawson's Creek song." Good call on her part (although she did let them use "Hands Clean" later).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Jan 20th 2003, 10:10 pm

Jansports were not as availabe here in Canada as in the US.

Paula Cole also put up a fuss about "I don't want to wait" being the theme for DC. Kevin Williamson had to persuade and practically beg her to let him use it. Finally, she caved...but unfortunately, her biggest fear (the same fear as Alanis) has come true.

xxx,
Nita

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2003, 10:42 pm

Hee, I am a big nerd so I did a little research to make sure that I wasn't predating my Jansport. I know I had several in high school and college (coincidentally, most of them were red, even before I watched MSCL!) but I couldn't remember about middle school, mostly because those were the years when I had a Guess bag (lavendar) and an Esprit bag (violet) that served as my bookbags (form before function when you're 12 you know!). According to Jansport's website, they sold their millionth daypack in 1985. That's a lot of backpacks!

The only Jansport I ever broke was in college - I put a bottle of champagne in my already full backpack and then tried to zip it up. I busted right through their nylon with the top of that bottle.

:shock:

:oops:

:wink:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Jan 21st 2003, 1:23 am

candygirl wrote:Like I said before, Europeans always recognize the American backpackers on their summer vacations by the Jansports.

:D
An American backpacker in Europe might imply a Jansport backpack, but a Jansport backpack in Europe does not imply an American backpacker.

http://www.jansport-europe.com/main.html, click "where to buy" button.
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 21st 2003, 2:46 am

I'm just telling you what my Italian teacher said - she was born and raised in Italy and goes back every summer. I can neither confirm nor deny ethnicity based on accessories :wink:

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

the pack

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Jan 25th 2003, 1:15 am

I was the same way and went looking for the same knapsack lol
missmarmalade wrote:I know I'm not adding much to this discussion, but I wanted to say that the Jansport placement (if intentional) was successfull...I remembered that brand after seeing the episode and hunted for that brand of backpack (and color) for quite a long time (I was 15 and impressionable, sue me! :wink: )

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Jan 25th 2003, 6:06 pm

Ahh! That's neat! 2 Canadian girlies hunting down Angela's Jansport! Hehe!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 4:42 am

In Guns and Gossip, you can see Danielle eating Kix!

Can anyone tell what kind of beer Rayanne is drinking in Dancing in the Dark at Brian's house?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 27th 2003, 10:14 am

candygirl wrote:In Guns and Gossip, you can see Danielle eating Kix!

Can anyone tell what kind of beer Rayanne is drinking in Dancing in the Dark at Brian's house?
I wrote earlier in this thread that I believe it was MGD (Miller Genuine Draft), which is my husband's favorite.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 2:36 pm

Sorry, I thought you were originally referring to the beer Rayanne drank at Angela's house in Other People's Mothers. The beer Rayanne drinks at Brian's house is in a green bottle, which I realize still leaves quite a few possibilities :D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 27th 2003, 3:36 pm

Oops, sorry. You're right. I was. That'll teach me to post while at work! :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 27th 2003, 4:54 pm

I think it's Rolling Rock beer. Or, is that just wishful thinking?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 4:55 pm

Megs wrote:Oops, sorry. You're right. I was. That'll teach me to post while at work! :wink:
Hee, you must devote your full attention (and photographic memory) to MSCL while at work! :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 4:18 am

Is that an Ocean Spray cranapple that Patty instructs Angela to bring outside to Graham in Father Figures?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 3rd 2003, 1:41 pm

Patty gives Angela a can of Ocean Spray cranberry juice to take out to Graham when he is repairing the sagging gutter in "Father Figures." Doesn't that seem like a Dad kind of drink? We don't actually see him drink it though. We do see him drink a lot of orange juice throughout the series though.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/