Subtitles

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Subtitles

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 13th 2003, 6:01 am

The official subtitles suck. I understand not showing every "like" but they also made minor changes like showing the word "everyone" when a character says "everybody." I know it's not a huge deal and doesn't change the context, but why? In the pilot, the subtitles show Graham talking about "Axel Rose" (sic) and even worse, instead of, "Rickie, who has cuter feet?" the subtitles read, "Rickie loves cute feet!"

Uhhh, unless I'm totally deaf and I've heard it wrong every single time, which is possible.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Subtitles

Post by fnordboy » Jan 13th 2003, 11:48 am

candygirl wrote:The official subtitles suck. In the pilot, the subtitles show Graham talking about "Axel Rose" (sic)
I guess whoever did the subs wasn't a G'n'f'n'R fan <shrug> 8)

Seriously though, where did they get the sub script from? Was it a script given to them or did BMG do them new for the release.

How are they on the first disc's original release?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 4:24 am

Ugh, more subtitle errors (thankfully they are all grammar errors, but still) from Guns and Gossip:

"I am not an eight years old."

"Mr. Principle!"

"Is that the fillo stuff?"

I wonder who was paid to do the subtitles!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 4:46 am

On the other hand, the subtitles made sure to spell out what the note said ("Angela and Jordan Catalano COMPLETE SEX!!! IN HIS CAR...Can you believe her?") while the actual note is on the screen at the same time.

:roll:

Very useful.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jan 27th 2003, 5:00 am

Can I ask why you watch with the subtitles on? I know the reason they have them, but you obviously can hear whats going on, so its not that. :P

(Oh, and its four in the morning! Go to bed!)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 5:35 am

When I initially received my DVD set, I watched the episodes without the subtitles on because I usually don't watch tv or movies with the captions on (my parents do that, even with the volume turned way up, and it drives me crazy!). When we started the discussion threads, I turned the subtitles on just to see what they said. Once I saw that there were some errors, I decided to watch each weekly episode with the captions on just to see what other wackiness would pop up.

Hey, it's not 4am where I am! You should go to bed! Or get ready for work!

:D

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 27th 2003, 10:35 am

I use the subtitles from time to time as well. Sometimes I miss a piece of dialogue or the dialogue is unclear. When that happens, I flip on the subtitles. It's very frustrating to listen to crucial pieces of dialogue and have the subtitles going and find out that the subtitles are wrong. This isn't a problem isolated to BMG, however. It's common to a lot of companies' subtitles. I'm not sure why the errors occur. It might just be that the people who write them are pressed for time or have a need to keep things simple.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 27th 2003, 2:21 pm

Well I do understand that not every single "like" uttered needs to be transcribed to the subtitles, but some of the errors are just utterly stupid.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 4:44 am

Hee! In Father Figures, the subtitles say "Timber!" when Patty is saying, "Amber!" (as in Vallone - Rayanne's mom)

elfin
Frozen Embryo

Post by elfin » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:36 am

For an outstanding person like me, it's much more better to watch them with subtitles...
Sometimes I've got to put my ear very near to the speaker because of fast and bad prononcation ;o)

But it's not that I don't realize the faults in the subtitles ... BUT I'M GLAD THERE ARE SUBTITLES.

So please,
stop discussing ...

Never watched Ally McBeal with French Subtitles? You missed something!

sorry for my faults, but i'm allowed to do them ...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 2:28 pm

elfin wrote:But it's not that I don't realize the faults in the subtitles ... BUT I'M GLAD THERE ARE SUBTITLES.

So please,
stop discussing ...
I am not trying to argue with you here, but everyone has a right to discuss MSCL related stuff on this forum - that is the purpose of the entire forum. I agree that it's nice to have the subtitles, but the fact that they are incorrect makes it difficult for people who do not speak English as a first language to understand what is going on when there are errors like "Timber!" (which is what lumberjacks yell to let people know to get out of the way when a tree is falling) instead of "Amber" as in "Rayanne's mom is here to pick her up." Anyone who tries to look up "fillo" in a translator will not get any results because that is not a real word. Whoever did the subtitles obviously didn't have their ears pressed to the speakers!