claire on conan

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

claire on conan

Post by Lindsay » Jan 23rd 2003, 3:41 pm

Great interview.... I absolutley LOVE conan to bits, he's just hilarious. Thanks to someone mentioning it, Hallie Lowenthal DOES look like a female version of him.

Anyways, I just tuned in when he was saying something about how he watched My So-Called Life when he was like, 35, and how it was deemed "creepy" since he was so old. Then she went on about how she was proud of that show, and kinda passed over it, and they talked about other stuff. It was nice to hear the show mentioned! Conans the best.

I may add she looked great.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 24th 2003, 5:02 am

I had written down the info that was posted here on Claire on Conan and then almost missed it. Luckily the tape I was watching ended right as the show began and I saw that she was coming on. Whew!

SPOILERS

Since it's rare that MSCL is mentioned when she is on late-night talk shows, it was nice to hear Conan mention MSCL a few times, including introducing her as being from the TV show MSCL as well as films like Romeo + Juliet, two of my faves. It was interesting how she alluded to the DVDs, with her mention of the posters being everywhere in December, but not actually touching on the fact that the show is now immortalized. I really do think she enjoyed the experience but wonders why so many people obsess over the show when it's been years since she's done MSCL and she's done so many other things.

In any case, I liked how we got to see a clip of Claire in The Hours and acting opposite Meryl Streep, and it was good to hear a bit more about her filming T3. Her account of being flown out to L.A., and subsequently having to miss the Golden Globes, simply to say, "Eat me!" was too much. That's the movie biz for ya. And I loved when she did the Arnold Schwarzenneger voice and talked about his Bar Mitzvah video. Classic!
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 24th 2003, 10:27 am

Claire probably feels just like Madonna does....Madonna simply doesn't sing "Like a Virgin" anymore. Been there, done that. However, I'm sure Claire feels great satisfation knowing she nailed her role in MSCL.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 24th 2003, 2:46 pm

My question is "What poster"?

There was a poster? Did I miss a memo? A staff meeting?

Gary

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 24th 2003, 3:11 pm

Yeah, what posters, and how can we get our hands on them?

:shock:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 24th 2003, 3:14 pm

Was she talking about those subway posters for the marathon on TRIO last month?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 24th 2003, 3:20 pm

I didn't know that Trio had posters out there. Maybe she talking about those.

I'll have to watch the tape again.

Gary

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 24th 2003, 3:24 pm

I think those posters are available on E-bay right now. But only half is MSCL, the other half if J Gandolfini(i think) for some show he was in. (it was called The Gun or something) 'course you could always cut it in half???.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Lindsay » Jan 24th 2003, 6:02 pm

well, I missed that whole part. What exactly was said about MSCL???

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 24th 2003, 6:06 pm

Maybe posters in video stores advertising the MSCL DVDs? This is just a guess since I did not see Conan. I don't remember seeing any at Best Buy, where I got my DVDs, but I might not have been looking close enough. I knew what I wanted! I bought mine like a day or two after I found out they were available.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 24th 2003, 6:31 pm

K-Man,

Could you PM me the ebay auction number please? I just want to take a look at it. Thanks!

Lindsay,

I just watched the tape again, and here's roughly how MSCL figured in at the start of the interview:
Conan O'Brien: You must still get a lot of people... as much success as you've had, still talk to you about "My So-Called Life".

Claire Danes: You know.. it's never ending. And ... there have been these posters, at least around December. A solid month of my face plastered on buses passing by, and it's a little bit confronting, because I've evolved.

CO: I have not evolved. I remember when that show came out, I was, like, 35 and I was watching 'My So-Called Life' like a creep. I thought the police were going to raid me... [says something else in a goofy voice as though he was explaining to the cops that "he was watching the teens"]

CD: I'm still proud of the show and it was a terrific experience. I'm glad it's resonated.
She then went on to talk about T3 and finally "The Hours".

TomSpeed,

I thought about video posters as well, but I've never seen them and the more I think about it, I don't think BMG would've spent the cash.

Just a guess.

Gary

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 25th 2003, 8:37 pm

Gary, you're likely right about BMG probably not wanting to spend the money to advertise the DVDs. I guess I just assumed that was what the posters Claire mentioned were for. But K-man comes through on the info. It's interesting to see any advertisements for MSCL, so for those of you who haven't had a chance to see the poster yet, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=18837
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

gah!

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Jan 25th 2003, 9:52 pm

i cant believe i missed this!!! will it ever re-run?? in the summer maybe???

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 25th 2003, 10:51 pm

I'm sure it will be replayed. Probably when Conan goes on vacation. I wish I had taped it.
TomSpeed

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 26th 2003, 1:48 am

Thanks for the link 'Jessi. K-Man was nice enough to send it to me as well, which I appreciate.

Honestly, I think the posters are hideous (just my homble opinion). But I also admit they're certainly worthy of a place in MSCL history.

I'm sure it'll get rerun at some point. Here's a tip for you guys; use this link to keep tabs on her talk show appearances.

I've used it for years to keep track of Kimberly Williams interviews (which are few, but can be in clusters when she's on a press tour), and it's a great help.

Gary