Favorite Movies???

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
chosephine
Jody Barsh

Re: Favorite Movies???

Post by chosephine » Feb 8th 2002, 10:15 am

After I had posted my original list, I realized that I had forgotten lots of movies, and Before Sunrise is one of them. I love this movie, although I can understand that some people would find it incredibly boring. Personally I'm a big fan of "talky" movies. I would rather listen to good conversation for two hours than watch car chases and explosions.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 8th 2002, 5:43 pm

Hey, sorry about the name thing... no disrespect intended. I'm wondering now if this DVD thing is really going to happen. It sounds too good to be true. But that's just me... I tend to be a little skeptical. I'd love it if they really did come out with all 19 episodes --- on any format.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 9th 2002, 1:18 pm

Hey no problem ;0)

As for the DVD's....who knows?? It all sounds good and possible...but even if they do come out I am in the UK and so it will cost a small fortune to pay for the set and get it shipped out - it will be worth it though (especially if there are any decent extras). I agree with you though - I am in abit unsure if MSCL will ever really hit the shops in DVD format - we can but hope....and that's coming from a pessimistic optimist!!!

Jo x

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Favorite Movies??? - Ghost World

Post by dTheater » Feb 9th 2002, 5:56 pm

Let us know what you thought after you've seen it. I'd be interested to know.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 23rd 2003, 1:48 pm

It's another slow day today at work, so I probably can tackle this favorite movies post. I'm not really putting these in any particular order.

The Godfather trilogy -- III gets a bum rap because of Sophia, F. C.'s daughter.

The original Star Wars trilogy -- no movies have given me bigger thrills

Silence of the Lambs -- no movie has given me so many chills

16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful -- I'm a sucker for Molly Ringwald and John Hughes writing/directing

Almost Famous, Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, Fast Times at Ridgemont High -- Cameron Crowe, writer/director, simply the best! Vanilla Sky definitely is better than it's reputation, IMHO

Chinatown, Network, Mommy Dearest (sleeper) -- Faye Dunnaway

ET -- filled me with wonder

AI, Jaws, Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark trilogy -- more great stuff from Spielberg

Better Off Dead and The Grifters -- John Cusak

Blade Runner, Witness -- Harrsion Ford
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 23rd 2003, 3:10 pm

My list:

Star Wars
Pretty Woman
The Wedding Singer
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Moulin Rouge
Hope Floats
Clueless
Forrest Gump (I can't believe no on has mentioned this yet!)
An Affair to Remember
The Bridges of Madison County
Signs
Bridget Jones's Diary

Oops! Have to go work. Will finish list later...
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 23rd 2003, 4:16 pm

I have to be the dissenting opinion here and say that I'm not really a fan of Cameron Crowe. I hated Jerry Maguire, even though I love Bonnie Hunt (Tom Cruise was terrible. And why did Renee Zellweger's character love his? His character was an ass.) and Almost Famous was ok, except the kid couldn't act. Frances McDormand was the best thing about that movie. I don't know, maybe I have to watch Jerry Maguire again.

To continue with my list:

Grease 2
Evita
Gone With the Wind (I also can't believe this one wasn't mentioned...)
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 23rd 2003, 4:30 pm

More favortie movies that might explain why I'm so warped!

Brazil -- It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I remember it dearly. The expansive DVD costs about $60-$80 I think. One day, I will snag it.

Boogie Nights -- Great 70s music.

Tin Cup, JFK, The Untouchables -- Kevin Costner's best movies

Edwards Scissorhands -- My Winona phase. A really sweet story.

Soylent Green -- Soylent Green is made out of people! Peoooopple!

Westworld -- Androids take over an amusement park.

The Big Sleep -- Bogie and Bacall

I'll probably think of a few more later. I could watch any of the movies I've listed at the drop of hat.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Jan 23rd 2003, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 23rd 2003, 4:52 pm

Megs wrote:I have to be the dissenting opinion here and say that I'm not really a fan of Cameron Crowe. I hated Jerry Maguire, even though I love Bonnie Hunt (Tom Cruise was terrible. And why did Renee Zellweger's character love his? His character was an ass.) and Almost Famous was ok, except the kid couldn't act. Frances McDormand was the best thing about that movie. I don't know, maybe I have to watch Jerry Maguire again.
I agree with you on J Maguire and Almost Famous. They just never did that much for me. And even though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of C Crowe, he is responsible for the GREAT masterpiece-Fast Times.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 23rd 2003, 6:35 pm

K-man wrote:
Megs wrote:I have to be the dissenting opinion here and say that I'm not really a fan of Cameron Crowe. I hated Jerry Maguire, even though I love Bonnie Hunt (Tom Cruise was terrible. And why did Renee Zellweger's character love his? His character was an ass.) and Almost Famous was ok, except the kid couldn't act. Frances McDormand was the best thing about that movie. I don't know, maybe I have to watch Jerry Maguire again.
I agree with you on J Maguire and Almost Famous. They just never did that much for me. And even though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of C Crowe, he is responsible for the GREAT masterpiece-Fast Times.
It's OK not to like Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous. Really...it is OK. I'll still hang with you.

And to continue with some final favorite flicks.....

A Christmas Story -- You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Goodfellas -- Can't believe I left this one out of the first list.

Urban Cowboy, Terms of Endearment, An Officer and a Gentleman -- Do not laugh! Debra Winger does it for me.

Alien and sequels -- S. Weaver

Body Heat -- K. Turner

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, True Romance -- Q. Tarantino, director/writer

I'm hard pressed to put one of Claire's movies on this list but I can see Romeo+Juliet moving up the charts.
TomSpeed

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 23rd 2003, 11:15 pm

TomSpeed wrote:It's OK not to like Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous. Really...it is OK. I'll still hang with you.
Thanks, TomSpeed and K-man, I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

I had no idea that Crowe was behind Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I thought it was an Amy Heckerling movie. Or did she just direct it?

I thought that Jerry Maguire was poorly acted, directed, and written. It seemed like there was so much that was missing. And I never understood what Renee Z's character saw in Tom Cruise's. I was never a fan of his. I love the Springsteen song from that movie, A Secret Garden.

Two more to add to my list:

The Cutting Edge
Office Space

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 23rd 2003, 11:49 pm

Megs wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:It's OK not to like Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous. Really...it is OK. I'll still hang with you.
Thanks, TomSpeed and K-man, I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

I had no idea that Crowe was behind Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I thought it was an Amy Heckerling movie. Or did she just direct it?

I thought that Jerry Maguire was poorly acted, directed, and written. It seemed like there was so much that was missing. And I never understood what Renee Z's character saw in Tom Cruise's. I was never a fan of his. I love the Springsteen song from that movie, A Secret Garden.

Two more to add to my list:

The Cutting Edge
Office Space
Fast Times at Ridgemont High is based on C. Crowe's book of the same title. Cameron actually went under cover in high school in his twenties. He wrote the screenplay, too. Amy Heckerling directed the movie.

I love all of Cameron Crowe's movies. Almost Famous is probably in my top 5 all-time. Maybe even #1. I have no particular reason why I think that way. I guess I can relate to the Patrick Fugit character, William Miller. Although, my first time did not involve 3 or 4 outstandingly beautiful young women in a hotel room in Greenville while on the road with a rock band.

Edit -- Office Space -- I say, "Today is the worst day of life," almost everyday at work. Ask my coworkers. Sad, sad, sad. Office Space is the bomb.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Jan 24th 2003, 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomSpeed

DVDOwner
Nicky Driscoll

Post by DVDOwner » Jan 23rd 2003, 11:57 pm

Here's a "short" list of some of my favorite movies -

Lost And Delirious
The Big Chill
A Hard Day's Night
Bedazzled (The ORIGINAL 1967 One!)
Desperately Seeking Susan
Barbarella
Two Thousand Maniacs
Empire Records
Dog Day Afternoon
The Craft
The Journey Of Natty Gann
That Thing You Do! (My favorite Tom Hanks movie)
Night Of The Comet
Choose Me
Heaven Can Wait
Adventures In Babysitting
Scream
Star Wars 1977 (NOT Star Wars 4 A New Hope The Special Edition!)
Hannah And Her Sisters
Dawn Of The Dead
Wild Guitar
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
The Muppet Movie
The Sugerland Express (My favorite Spielburg movie)
The Producers
Sleeper
Copycat
The Electric Horseman
The Wizard Of Oz
Asylum
Local Hero
Pollyanna
Halloween
High Risk
It's A Womderful Life
This Is Spinal Tap
Top Secret!
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
The Heroic Trio
The Great Waldo Pepper
The Little Mermaid

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head - I'll probably think of a hundred more after I "Submit"!

RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

Post by RyeBlume » Jan 24th 2003, 12:19 am

Dang, DVDOwner. That's some short list!

I can't top that, but here are some that I can think of right off the bat:

The Shawshank Redemption
Erin Brokovitch
Forrest Gump (great movie, of course, but it never fails to depress the hell out of me)
American Beauty
Fried Green Tomatoes
When Harry Met Sally (the best love story ever!)
Little Women (best watched around the christmas season, at night, all cuddled under a blanket)
Legally Blonde
Ever After (also a really groovy love story)
Disney's Beauty and the Beast
A Muppet Christmas Carol :wink:
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 24th 2003, 12:54 am

TomSpeed wrote:Tin Cup, JFK, The Untouchables -- Kevin Costner's best movies
Kevin Costner's best movies. Isn't that, like, an oxy-moron?

On Jerry Maguire...how can you be an MSCL fan and not like Jerry Maguire? It's against nature. It's got Winnie Holzman, Miss Mayhew, Angela running, Brian and Angela in the street...it's practically MSCL: The Motion Picture.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)