Germaine Greer?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Germaine Greer?

Post by K-man » Feb 18th 2002, 12:34 pm

I was watching "Why Jordan Can't Read" last night and I always wonder what Patty is talking about when she is talking to Camille and she says," We are going to end up looking like Germaine Greer on the back of that book". Can someone shed some light on what she is talking about for me please.?...

k-man

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Germaine Greer?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 19th 2002, 12:28 am

I'm not sure what book Patty and Camille are referring to, but I did a quick search on Google.com and I noticed that all the Websites that were pulled up mentioned that GG was a feminist so it must have something to do with that. Can anyone else help on this one?

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 19th 2002, 7:26 pm

Germaine Greer is a very famous feminist in the UK...she has written lots of books (one being the very famous ' The Female Eunuch' and sold lots - so this is probably the one Patty was referring to). Her work is based on various issues and she is usually very outspoken. She is often on TV or writing articles in newspapers. She has short dark graying hair, wears glasses and looks older than her years. While I respect most of her opinions and am a feminist myself, most men (and women) think she is a bit of a hag - she says some silly things and is pretty much a man hater who seems to be bitter about something. I do agree with many of her views but she is one of those feminists who takes it so far she may actually do more harm to women than good (as in, not many people take her seriously because of her extremism). Hope this helps you guys out - in other words, she is a spinster and most women would not want to look like her or be her - all the same however, she has my upmost respect. GIRL POWER! Eunuch, by the way, means 'castrated man' - so you figure it out!!! :0)

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 20th 2002, 2:13 pm

Thanks Joanna. That really helps!

k-man