What's with the bloody motorcycle?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

What's with the bloody motorcycle?

Post by So-Called Angel » Jan 22nd 2003, 2:34 am

I don't know if this has been posted before, and I don't know if anyone cares, but has anyone noticed that stupid motorcycle starting up when the actors are outside on the school grounds? It's really annoying. I've noticed it in several episodes, and in "Life of Brian" I think you can hear it on 3 separate occasions. :shock:
"See, I have this philosophy......."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2003, 2:37 am

Maybe it's Tony Poole :wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Jan 22nd 2003, 2:40 am

candygirl wrote:Maybe it's Tony Poole :wink:
OMG! I'm almost afraid to ask since I feel like I should know, but who is Tony Poole? :oops:

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Jan 22nd 2003, 2:46 am

I know! Tony Poole was Patty's boyfriend! I knew the name was familiar!

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Re: What's with the bloody motorcycle?

Post by MadMichael » Jan 22nd 2003, 3:09 pm

So-Called Angel wrote: ...has anyone noticed that stupid motorcycle starting up when the actors are outside on the school grounds?
That's not just a motorcycle, that's a Harley-Davidson you hear, an American classic. They're made to sound that way specifically to annoy you. :wink:

Harleys are a long-standing American symbol of freedom, individual empowerment, and rebellion against authority. Nothing else sounds like a Harley...try it, you might like it...
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 22nd 2003, 3:13 pm

Aren't they purposefully manufactured that noisy as a measure of safety? ie....even though you may not see someone on a cycle, at least you could hear them behind you or next to you in traffic?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 22nd 2003, 3:47 pm

MadMichael wrote:Harleys are a long-standing American symbol of freedom, individual empowerment, and rebellion against authority.
That and its just plain fun to do 145 mph down a flat stretch of road, then brake hard and roll through some nice S bends. Drugs might make you feel good, but its nothing compared to that rush :twisted:

Of course I own a rice burner Honda F4 600, but I got no problems with Harleys unless their owner has a problem with me!

The only down side is I see a major thinning of the Gene Pool this summer with the release of Biker BoyZ (the Z means its cool, hip and edgy right?) And all the wanna-beZ buying bikes that they have know idea how to handle...
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 22nd 2003, 3:52 pm

I must confess that I didn't notice the prowling hog. Thanks, though. Now I have another reason to rewatch some episodes. As if, I really needed any.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Jan 23rd 2003, 8:17 am

K-man wrote:Aren't they purposefully manufactured that noisy as a measure of safety? ie....even though you may not see someone on a cycle, at least you could hear them behind you or next to you in traffic?
In the USA, motorcycles manufactured after 1982 are subject to EPA regulations for noise emission, in the range of 80 to 86 decibels: http://www.netvista.net/~hpb/rs20531.html. To meet these limits, manufacturers build their engines with less-than-optimal 'breathing' capabilities to reduce induction (intake) and exhaust noise. These restrictions reduce the power available from the engine. Some riders modify their bikes with aftermarket 'free flow' intake and exhaust systems for increased performance, with an associated increase in sound output.

Ironically, the loudest exhaust system (a completely unrestricted, 'drag' pipe) is only effective at wide-open-throttle. For normal street riding, a 'drag' pipe actually reduces power output.

"Loud pipes save lives" is often asserted as a justification, but I'm not particularly convinced of it.
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Jan 23rd 2003, 5:08 pm

ah! i'd always managed to ignore the harley in the background before. i just watched life of brian last night. it's so loud! i'll notice it every time i watch an episode from now on...

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Re: What's with the bloody motorcycle?

Post by So-Called Angel » Jan 25th 2003, 11:06 pm

MadMichael wrote:
So-Called Angel wrote: ...has anyone noticed that stupid motorcycle starting up when the actors are outside on the school grounds?
That's not just a motorcycle, that's a Harley-Davidson you hear, an American classic. They're made to sound that way specifically to annoy you. :wink:

Harleys are a long-standing American symbol of freedom, individual empowerment, and rebellion against authority. Nothing else sounds like a Harley...try it, you might like it...
Thank God nothing else sounds like a Harley. :D

Actually, my dad happens to have "an American classic". It's called a Heritage softtail or something. I must say, it is a beautiful bike.

Several years ago, my dad had another Harley, it was his first one and he took me around the block for a ride - it was my first time on a motorbike. Well, I was terrified, absolutely petrified. I think the mistake I made was that I didn't look ahead but instead just kept looking at the road under my feet and seeing it speed by - I thought I was going to die. :shock: It was my first and LAST time on a motorbike.

It's embarrassing because my eight year old son goes on rides with Dad and he loves it - and it really looks like fun but I just can't bring myself to get back on one.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 25th 2003, 11:09 pm

I remember when Kirstie Alley was on the Arsenio Hall show - she said that if she could choose a way to die, it would be while riding a Harley. She then went into the feeling of the motor pulsing and throbbing...and you get the general idea. I thought Arsenio was going to fall right out of his chair.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Jan 26th 2003, 12:54 am

candygirl wrote:Kirstie Alley...then went into the feeling of the motor pulsing and throbbing...and you get the general idea. I thought Arsenio was going to fall right out of his chair.
One well-known knickname for Harleys is 'Milwaukee Vibrator'. I personally know a couple of ladies who can get the big 'O' while riding pillion...

The characteristic 'potato-potato' sound is the result of two pistons at a 45 degree angle connected to a single crankpin.
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT