Fun poll

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 7th 2002, 8:59 pm

I was going to respond to the poll, but as I kept reading all of the responses, I realized I had already responded. like over a year ago! don't you hate it when that happens?

emmie

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Fun poll

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 12th 2002, 3:38 pm

fav episode: Dancing in the Dark
fav moment between 2 or more char: angela and jordan at the party from the pilot
fav quote: "This life has been a test, if it had been an actual life, you would have been given instructions on where to go and what to do."
least fav moment:
event that most resembled my life: when angela trys to exsplain to rayanne how shed rather have the fantacy of jordan over the actuall thing.
i got chills when: angela read "the letter" in dreams
i cringed when: brian told delia he wanted to go to the dance with somone else.
i hope angela chose: brian
i hope angela and rayanne make up: yes, angela needs to realize that what rayanne did wasnt realy all that bad, and she forgave jordan right?
personality most like mine: brian, although im not as smart:)
person id befriend: jordan, im a bass player, wed probably get along.
charecture that grew the most: jordan
least fav episode: weekend, or the holloween ep.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 11th 2003, 4:13 am

I have loved this thread since SCF posted it (back when I was still lurking), but I always felt unprepared to reply, like I needed to really put a lot of thought into my answers. Soooo in order to motivate myself, I thought I would bump the thread and get answers from all the new people and then maybe even answer the questions too!

:D
socalledfan wrote:Favorite over-all episode:
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters:
Favorite, like, quote:
Least favorite moment between 2 characters:
Event that most resembled an event in my own life:
I got chills when:
I cringed when:
I cried when:
I smiled biggest when:
I laughed hardest when:
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian):
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no):
Character whose personality is most like mine:
Character I'd most like to befriend:
Character who grew the most over that year:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

maddymay
Tino

Post by maddymay » Jan 11th 2003, 4:11 pm

I'm sure just about all my answers have already been said, but I just want to do it anyway!

Favorite over-all episode: "Why Jordan Can't Read"
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Jordan grabbing Angela's hand
Favorite, like, quote: "I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me." Jordan, apologizing to Angela in "In Dreams"
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: When Brian dumps Delia
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: When Angela tried to talk to Jordan at Pike Street
I got chills when:
Jordan : It's like...you think you're safe, or something. 'Cause you can
just...walk away anytime. Because you don't, like, need her.
You don't need anyone. But the thing you didn't realize
is...you're wrong. [pause]
I cringed when: When Angela tried to talk to Jordan at Pike Street
I cried when: Angela cried on the floor in "Why Jordan Can't Read"
I smiled biggest when: Angela does her little dance in "Why Jordan Can't read"
I laughed hardest when:

Patty : Okay. Well, finish up -- whatever it is you're nibbling on in
there -- and *don't* leave a mess for me to clean up. Oh, and
don't forget what we talked about tonight about daddy and me
meeting your friend Jordan.
Angela : [strangling noises] Ah, uh -- pssh. I - I won't.
Patty : What? Sweetheart, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
You *like* this Jordan, I have no problem with that. We just
want to meet him! [they hug, kiss. Patty returns upstairs,
Angela goes back to the kitchen]
Jordan : So, you like me?
Angela : Oh, shut up.
Jordan : I mean, you're mother says you like me.
Angela : [laughing] Oh, shut up!

I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Jordan
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): of course, although we all know the realtionsip will never be the same
Character whose personality is most like mine: Sharon
Character I'd most like to befriend: Angela
Character who grew the most over that year: Rickie
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. Then you tell me... you know... that you forgive me."

CC Baxter
Frozen Embryo

Post by CC Baxter » Jan 13th 2003, 11:16 am

Favorite over-all episode: The Pilot.
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: Rayanne and Sharon on Christmas Eve.
It just makes me feel so good!
Favorite, like, quote: "My father thinks everybody in the
world is having more fun than him -
which could be true! (I'm paraphrasing, might be a few words off)
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: When there is suddenly a scene
between two female teachers. It just seems out of place.
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: Waiting outside Let's Bolt.
I got chills when: Patty asks the angel "How did you die?"
I cringed when: Patty started stripping. It's awful watching some one
who is always in control, lose that control. Paradoxically, it is something
we find hard to forgive.
I cried when: Angela apologizes to Patty and starts to cry. The counterpoint
of knowing Patty was adopted is so skillfully played. (Pilot)
I smiled biggest when: Jordan asks Angela if she's out on parole, and sums
up his weekend with the single word "Sucked!" It makes one long to be an
unhappy teenager!
I laughed hardest when: Sharon says "Duh, squared!" A hilarious anticipation
of the vernacular in Clueless the following year!
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): Brian. But continued a torrid, clandestine affair
with Jordan.
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes. Why would anyone not hope that?
Character whose personality is most like mine: Rayanne.
Character I'd most like to befriend: Angela (Graham a close second)
Character who grew the most over that year: Miss Angela Chase.
Favourite Scene (My own addition): Brian and Angela standing in the moonlight, at the
end of the pilot (a scene which Cameron Crowe paid Homage to in Jerry Maguire. On
The DVD Commentary, he praises MSCL), and when REM starts on the soundtrack, and
she sees Graham and the young woman. It's just aweinspiringly humane (if such a thing is
possible :-). Go Winnie

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Jan 15th 2003, 4:55 pm

okay, so i cannot seem to give just ONE answer to any of these, but here goes....

Favorite over-all episode: "the Zit," though i believe it should have a different name, and "other people's mothers"

Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: wallpaper discussions between graham and brian. brian gets to have a dad who's like, present, and graham gets to have a talk with the son he never had. very funny too.

Favorite, like, quote: "i felt like a horrible person. because i was...hungy"

Least favorite moment between 2 characters: angela hitting on cory. so uncomfortable!! also anything graham and hallie toward the end.

Event that most resembled an event in my own life: any time that angela and patty argue.

I got chills when: jordan takes the mic in "off the wagon"

I cringed when: brian says, "i told him we might wanna dance or something" to angela at the WHD and also when he ditches delia

I cried when: end of "the zit": "...possibly even me!" and many many other times.

I smiled biggest when: danielle dresses up as angela, and yes, i also smiled at the end of "self-esteem"

I laughed hardest when: danielle says, "we're keeping it loose!" and when graham say, "well, gee, mr., i'd like to help you, but i'm too busy picturing your daughter NAKED!"

I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): jordan, but i hope that she and brian become closer, and that eventually she outgrows both of them romantically.

I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): yes, but i think that rayanne's actions were not so much "the worst thing ever" and instead more symtomatic of larger probs. of selfishness that she has to come to terms with...

Character whose personality is most like mine: angela, for sure.

Character I'd most like to befriend: rickie or brian

Character who grew the most over that year: rickie, sharon, and jordan

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 15th 2003, 5:51 pm

When Danielle dresses up as Angela, as well as gives an impression, that is hilarious! :D Another funny part that seldom is mentioned is in On the Wagon when Jordan calls Angela and Angela yells at Danielle to hang-up the phone not knowing it is actually Patty eaves-dropping. Graham says,"PATRICIA...you disappointment me!". That gets me every time!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jan 15th 2003, 7:30 pm

Favorite over-all episode: Self Esteem
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: angela and her dad, when he comments it's hard to know how to be a man.
Favorite, like, quote: "if you analyse why certain people end up with other people it'll make you want to kill yourself!" and "finally, and erection from actual human contact"
Least favorite moment between 2 characters: in "Pressure" when Jordan says to Angela "because you're supposed to. it's what's done. unless you're like abnormal or something." (or something like that)
I got chills when: jordan had angela up against the fence at the world happiness dance. the music goes perfectly with the sentiments.
I cringed when: brian dumped delia and she started crying
I cried when: jordan ignored angela at pike street, angela says she ugly in the zit
I smiled biggest when: Jordan grabbed Angela's hand in "Self Esteem", Angela dancing to Blister in the Sun...I've done that so often!
I laughed hardest when: rickie and brian are watching the sex tape
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): jordan. brian is way too socially inept for angela to deal with.
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): hmm, i dunno. i think rayanne was more a catalyst to help angela realize who she was. rayanne is a friend when she wants to be, which i've had to deal with and isn't much fun if you're the loyal "sharon" type and expect the same treatment in return.
Character whose personality is most like mine: angela
Character I'd most like to befriend: rickie
Character who grew the most over that year: i think angela is pretty obvious. she changed from a follower of rayanne to being comfortable in her own skin with her own opinions. stood up to her parents to help rickie, rebelled against being cool by not having sex and calling her mom when rayanne od'ed. other than angela i'd say jordan. he also finds his way by going out with the "weird girl that rayanne graf always hangs out with", realizing his feelings for angela aren't superficial and he really does need her, accepting help in school for his problems.
Last edited by hurtstolookatyou on Jan 16th 2003, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 15th 2003, 11:28 pm

candygirl wrote:I have loved this thread since SCF posted it (back when I was still lurking), but I always felt unprepared to reply, like I needed to really put a lot of thought into my answers. Soooo in order to motivate myself, I thought I would bump the thread and get answers from all the new people and then maybe even answer the questions too!

:D
socalledfan wrote:Favorite over-all episode:
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters:
Favorite, like, quote:
Least favorite moment between 2 characters:
I got chills when:
I cringed when:
I cried when:
I smiled biggest when:
I laughed hardest when:
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian):
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no):
Character whose personality is most like mine:
Character I'd most like to befriend:
Character who grew the most over that year:
Fave episode: Very hard question for me. A tie between "In Dreams Begin Responsibilites" and "The Substitute." The first one because Brian confesses his true feelings for Angela. The second because as a former teacher the idea that a teenager today would actually stand up for her beliefs is thrilling.

Fave moment between two characters: Another hard one. I'd like to bookend the scenes with Angela and Brian in "The Pilot" with "In Dreams." In "Pilot," Angela and Brian stand apart yet are reaching out. "In Dreams" brings them closer. Barriers have been broken. However, they have not disappeared. Hon mention goes to Angela and Brian at the World Happiness Dance. They want to dance with each other, but won't admit it. I would like to think they dance in a future unwritten episode.

Least fave moment between two characters: Ray and Jordan hooking up. Sigh!

Event that most resembled an event in my own life: I swear the scene between Angela and Brian at the end of "Pilot" happened to me. A walked with a girl I liked while in high school (junior high...maybe?). We had much the same conversation. Little things other than what we wanted to talk about. Finally, it came down to me telling her I *didn't* love her, which was a lie. Who knows why I didn't tell the truth? I knew her for a long time, but she married someone else upon graduation from high school. I have no idea what's happened to her since I last saw her five/six years ago.

I got chills when: During "Halloween" when Angela meets the bad boy from the past. I also got chills when Patty asks the Angel in "So-Called Angels" how she died. Who can really say such surreal things do not happen.

I cringed when: Brian told Delia he would rather go to the dance with someone else. I could definitely feel for her. However, I also cringed because I could see myself doing the same thing that Brian did when I was a teenager.

I cried when: Probably "Angels" brought me closest to tears. I was so thankful that I survived my adolescence. Some people did not.

I smiled biggest when: Tough one. Probably when Angela thinks that everyone is/can be beautiful, even someone like her. It's easy to forget that! Hon mention: Jordan taking Angela's hand in the hallway. There is something to said for acceptance.

I laughed hardest when: Ray and Brian and the "teen help line" conversation. Totally funny.

I hope Angela chose: Brian. Not sure how likely that outcome is in reality. However, Brian's love for Angela seems genuine and deep.

I hope that Angela and Ray make up (y or n): Yes. Like Patty and Camille, true friendship can overcome many things.

Character's who's personality is most like mine: Guess. Brian, definitely. I'd like to think I've overcome a lot of my Brian-like shyness, etc. However, I still think I have room to improve. There's a woman at work I want to ask out. But, I haven't. I'm scared of rejection, people finding out, etc. I'm 34 years old. Yikes! Tomorrow....definitely.

Character I'd most like to befriend: I'm still hoping to meet my Angela. I guess that's more romantic friendship. You know, I think knowing someone like Graham would be cool. I'd like his advice when I have children.

Character who grew most during the year: Brian. I think he forced himself to expose his feelings for Angela by writing the letter for Jordan. I'd also say that Angela grew, too. But, I can't really put my finger on why I think she did. It's just a feeling.

Wow! Cool questions. They really made me think.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Lindsay » Jan 16th 2003, 6:57 pm

don't you think Jordon's feelings toward Angela are genuine now as well??? After his reactions in the last episode?? When he spoke for himself "i have this dream, where I know exactly what to say...." and when he's talking to Patty???
I'm sorry!!! I don't know why, I just feel like I have to root for Jordon. Runner up, Angela choosing neither. That would be just as good, I think.

By the way TomSpeed, did you ask her out?? :D

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 17th 2003, 11:09 am

Yeah, c'mon.....spill!!!!! What did she say?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 17th 2003, 12:11 pm

K-man wrote:Yeah, c'mon.....spill!!!!! What did she say?
Sad to say, but I punted again. :(

I'm rallying my team for another drive. We'll see if we get that first down.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 17th 2003, 2:13 pm

TomSpeed wrote:
K-man wrote:Yeah, c'mon.....spill!!!!! What did she say?
Sad to say, but I punted again. :(

I'm rallying my team for another drive. We'll see if we get that first down.
She said no. :(

Sigh.
TomSpeed

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 17th 2003, 2:50 pm

NO????*&%^$??? As in no means no? WTF? What is her problem? Well ya know what, you sucked it up at asked her so good for you Tom! You got a lotta guts IMHO. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Don't let it get you down bro. Keep yo head up and the world will turn. Lots of fish in this sea we live in.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 17th 2003, 3:37 pm

K-man wrote:NO????*&%^$??? As in no means no? WTF? What is her problem? Well ya know what, you sucked it up at asked her so good for you Tom! You got a lotta guts IMHO. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Don't let it get you down bro. Keep yo head up and the world will turn. Lots of fish in this sea we live in.
I agree. She's a wanker. I bet she isn't even a Lifer! :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."