Want a cheap decent quality Region Free DVD player?

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 2:57 pm

I forgot to mention that I always like the screensaver when you hit pause. I didn't know about it, so I hit pause and went upstairs to fetch something. When I came back, Iben Hjejle's face was floating around the screen!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 10th 2003, 3:06 pm

I don't think I have seen the screensaver on the Cyber Home yet.

I really need to unhook it and bring it to my girlfriends apt. already, I don't even use it since I have my JVC. My JVC screensaver is boring, just fades the picture in and out IIRC.
candygirl wrote:I forgot to mention that I always like the screensaver when you hit pause. I didn't know about it, so I hit pause and went upstairs to fetch something. When I came back, Iben Hjejle's face was floating around the screen!

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 13th 2003, 10:32 pm

Two quick questions...

Does this player support vcd?

Do you need a separate player to play DVD-Audio or SACD titles?

Thanks a billion. :D

Gary
(I'm still interested, and equally broke. A quandry indeed.)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 13th 2003, 11:51 pm

Not only does it support VCD, it also supports SVCD. Though I know there are a few issues with svcd playback they are supposed to be fixed in a very easy to do firmware upgrade that you can DL from their site (thoiugh I havent done it yet).

I will throw one of my vcds in the player tonight to do a quick test for ya.

Don't know about the DVD-A or the SACD though, sorry.

Here is the list from the box of what it will play:

DVD, CD, MP3, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, JPEG
NTSC, PAL
DTS & Dolby 5.1 Analog Direct Output
and of course it is Progressive Scan

Interesting tha tit doesnt say the VCD or SVCD on the box. But I know people have been playing them on the 500 (don't know about the 402).

I will update with my personal VCD experience.

GaryEA wrote:Two quick questions...

Does this player support vcd?

Do you need a separate player to play DVD-Audio or SACD titles?

Thanks a billion. :D

Gary
(I'm still interested, and equally broke. A quandry indeed.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 14th 2003, 2:59 am

fnordboy wrote:tha tit
:shock:

Sometimes typos are just hilarious (when you maintain a Beavis and Butthead mentality as I obviously do!). One of my teachers circled an error that the spell checker didn't catch - I accidentally typed "the Untied States."

I tried a VCD in the Cyber Home player and it worked just fine. It was one of my mom's imports, so as soon as I saw that it worked I hit eject (we do have quite a bit of overlap in our movie choices, but this one was way outside of that pocket) - for that reason I can't comment on the quality.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 14th 2003, 8:56 am

candygirl wrote:

Sometimes typos are just hilarious (when you maintain a Beavis and Butthead mentality as I obviously do!).
My personal favourite was one of my essays on Public Law. Quite a few times through the essay, I called it 'pubic law'. The spell check doesn't pick that one up, and it came back with red pen all over it :oops:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 14th 2003, 11:50 am

candygirl wrote:

Sometimes typos are just hilarious (when you maintain a Beavis and Butthead mentality as I obviously do!).
Fine :cry: just mock me....

YOU ALL HATE ME!!!! ::::runs away:::::

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 14th 2003, 12:38 pm

I had to write research papers in ninth grade biology. My mother is an English/reading teacher, so I usually asked her to proofread my papers. Once she caught me writing "orgasm" every time I meant to say "organism." She was like, "Kristin, you got something on your mind!?" Jokingly, of course! Good thing my mom caught it too. My bio teacher would have never let me live it down!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 14th 2003, 6:48 pm

Fine :( just mock me....

YOU ALL HATE ME!!!! ::::runs away:::::
Don't look at me buddy... I didn't say a thing. :P

Gary

p.s. Thanks for the info, ya perv. :lol:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 14th 2003, 6:50 pm

I tried a VCD in the Cyber Home player and it worked just fine. It was one of my mom's imports, so as soon as I saw that it worked I hit eject (we do have quite a bit of overlap in our movie choices, but this one was way outside of that pocket) - for that reason I can't comment on the quality.
Thanks candy. Much obliged! :)

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 12:43 am

fnordboy wrote:Well Amazon.com has it for 89.95 so you might want to get it from there if you get another one.

Did you do the region hack on it yet? If not it is real easy to do:

Press Stop, Open disc tray, hit 1999 on the remote, and a new menu should pop up, in there you can change the region to All.

Well I know for a fact the region thing is not in the instruction booklet, and I don't think it tells you that it converts PAL to NTSC. It might mention that it can play PAL discs, but that is not the same thing.

Though I don't remember doing anything to it to have it play my PAL discs.

I only know of a few differences between the 402 and the 500. Basically the region hack is more of a pain in the ass to do (1369, Left left, right to bring up the menu) I dont think it does proper PAL to NTSC conversion, and it is even cheaper feeling from what a friend has told me.
My DVD player arrived today - woo hoo! I tried doing the region hack, but nothing happened so I felt like an idiot. Luckily, as you said, it was able to play my region 0 PAL copy of Breakin' 2 without the region hack.

I can now confirm that the quality of B2:EB TOTALLY SUCKS ASS. I am not sure if I should blame the crappy transfer or if that was all they had to work with but you can tell from the moment that the pegasus starts galloping across the screen (lots of dust and stuff visible, then the Tri-Star logo is visibly shaking in the center of the screen) that it's crap. The picture seems like it's never quite in focus either. I guess when B2 is released R1 later this year, I will have to get a copy.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

dvd player

Post by lance » Feb 8th 2003, 12:50 pm

Candygirl,

Congrats on the player, hope you enjoy :D Bummer about the DVD you got. Any news on when it may hit region one?

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 8th 2003, 5:30 pm

The region hack didn't work? These are the instructions I used on mine:

1. Turn on your dvd player
2. open the tray
3. press the stop button on your remote
4. enter 1999 using the remote

a menu will pop up.

5. select the region code using the remote (set it to ALL)
6. confirm it, using enter
7. leave the menu using the return button on your remote

8. close the tray

you can find them here: http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24467

I noticed in my earlier instructions (from memory) i told you to hit stop then open the tray, which was wrong :oops: sorry.

Sucks that the quality is that bad on the B2: EB disc. Hopefully the us release is better, though i doubt it.

candygirl wrote:My DVD player arrived today - woo hoo! I tried doing the region hack, but nothing happened so I felt like an idiot. Luckily, as you said, it was able to play my region 0 PAL copy of Breakin' 2 without the region hack.

I can now confirm that the quality of B2:EB TOTALLY SUCKS ASS. I am not sure if I should blame the crappy transfer or if that was all they had to work with but you can tell from the moment that the pegasus starts galloping across the screen (lots of dust and stuff visible, then the Tri-Star logo is visibly shaking in the center of the screen) that it's crap. The picture seems like it's never quite in focus either. I guess when B2 is released R1 later this year, I will have to get a copy.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 8th 2003, 5:32 pm

Also from what I have read the region hack setting on "all" will also let you watch RCE discs without having to switch to the actual region, which is pretty damn cool!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: dvd player

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 9:11 pm

lance wrote:Bummer about the DVD you got. Any news on when it may hit region one?
Movie Mac reported that it would be released in April here

Thanks for the help fnordboy - I am off to hack my DVD player!