Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 1:45 am

I watched a rerun of the Shield the other night - the one where they lock the two guys in the shed - and I was cracking up!

And speaking of VH1 - did you watch any of the I Love the 80s episodes? Man they made me feel old, but in a good way. That's right, show clips from Breakin' and have Candace Cameron tell us what color Converse and Swatches she had!

:D

(Just yesterday I actually saw a picture of my boyfriend during his youth - sure enough, he had on a Swatch - with a blue Swatchguard to match his blue shirt)

I was trying to keep myself away from the Buffy spoilers at http://www.leoffonline.com but ended up reading some at Buffyworld - I can't win for losing! :evil:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jan 6th 2003, 8:20 am

I'm happily spoiler-free.

Yeah, I had a swatch. And a Coca-cola shirt, lol. I did see that 80s special, and you're right, it did make me feel old.

To put it in perspective, the time lapse from the 80s to now, is equivalent to the time from the 60s to the 80s!. So I am now one of those old people who talk about how much better everything was!. Of course, rather than talking about our anti-Vietnam stance, or civil rights struggle, I reminisce about about day-glo and new wave. :)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 9:51 am

JPP13 wrote:To put it in perspective, the time lapse from the 80s to now, is equivalent to the time from the 60s to the 80s!. So I am now one of those old people who talk about how much better everything was!. Of course, rather than talking about our anti-Vietnam stance, or civil rights struggle, I reminisce about about day-glo and new wave. :)
God...i never thought of it that way... :shock: i'm officially getting old now.

And to work within your perspective, I look back at the 80s in the same way a vietnam vet looks back at getting his balls blown off in vietnam. I am still unsure as to which decade was worse for fashion, the 70s or the 80s. Though anything involving day-glo definitely pulls slightly ahead.

uh wait a second, what the hell am i doing in a buffy thread... :shock: eek :::runs away::::

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Buffie

Post by lance » Jan 9th 2003, 10:40 am

Hey all,

What did you think about Tuesday's episode? I especially liked two things: the death of the uber vamp and the apparent rescue of Spike. Anyone know when the next new one will air? February sweeps are not that far away.

Anybody pick up Buffy Season 3, Region One? Got mine on Tuesday, looks well done. If you did get one, becareful opening it too quickly, sucker has more advertiser inserts than Newsweek.

Best,

Lance

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2003, 2:59 pm

The next Buffy episode airs January 21 (they are showing an Angel ep next week).

I waited a WHOLE DAY before buying my Buffy S3 DVDs last night. I'd have to go home and check, but I'm pretty sure that the S2 set had just as many crap inserts too. (My sister threw all those ads from her Felicity set in the trash while saying, "What is all this garbage?")

My problem was that disc one came loose somewhere between the plant and my house so the back is scratched up. The scratches are near the center, but I'm bringing the whole thing back and getting a new one tonight. If I have messed up stuff, it's going to be because I messed it up myself!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 2:23 am

Would you believe that I exchanged my Buffy set, only to find upon returning home that disc #1 in the replacement set was also loose and scratched?

I think this is a sign.

:evil:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 10th 2003, 9:55 am

Haven't opened my S2 set yet, Will report on flyers when open. S1 is flyer-free though.

Question: did I miss something again, where did the telepathy powers come from?

Loved Anya's "I can't give it away!" comment!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 13th 2003, 1:17 am

mglenn wrote:Question: did I miss something again, where did the telepathy powers come from?
Yucky demon blood. Something similar briefly made Angel mortal again. "Aspect of the Demon" I think?

SERIES FINALE THEORY

It's looking more and more like Buffy has to die (permanently) to keep the Yin/Yang balance with the First, but here's a less likely, if more upbeat theory: TPTB allow Buffy to become the first slayer to "retire" from the job. Faith or one of the new girls continues the line while the Buffster gets to die quietly in bed sixty years from now.

Other than that, the only new idea I've had is about Dawn. Maybe Glory didn't quite get the Key through the lock, and the monks never had the chance to put it to use, but all that mystical energy is still there, right? Seems a waste not to do anything with it...

:idea:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 13th 2003, 1:55 am

Nostradamus wrote:It's looking more and more like Buffy has to die (permanently) to keep the Yin/Yang balance with the First
I'm still going with my theory that Buffy will contain or channel (or even become) some element of the BB and everyone will have to reluctantly fight her in order to save the world. The one to save the day will be Spike (in accordance with Angel's words in S2, "To kill this girl, you have to love her). Mirroring the S2 finale, the bad mojo will exit just as Spike is forced to go in for the kill, leaving a Good Guy Buffy to whisper, "I love you" as she dies.

:cry:

I agree that it isn't like Joss to leave such an obvious loose end for over a year - Dawn is still the Key, but ever since Glory's death there has been no direct mention of the power that Dawn possesses (aside from Buffy's pre-slayer/patrolling lesson in this season's first episode). I don't think that Dawn is a Slayerette, whether it's because she isn't really human or just because. In either case, I don't think that Dawn will (or should) be the one to pick up Buffy's slaying mantle. And that's not just because I can't stomach the thought of DtVS :wink:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 13th 2003, 12:03 pm

candygirl wrote:Would you believe that I exchanged my Buffy set, only to find upon returning home that disc #1 in the replacement set was also loose and scratched?

I think this is a sign.

:evil:
Bad luck.

Becareful opening that S3 Set their is a ton of inserts.

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 24th 2003, 5:37 pm

Any thoughts on this week's episode? Even though Buffy is training the Slayerettes, she seems so cold. I was really hoping she would thaw out after last season. As a Spuffy shipper, I must point out that she did show concern this week when she hurt Spike during the training session.

I don't understand how she was able to kill Turok-Han a few weeks ago when the previous week he was kicking her a$$ into next week. *sigh*

I am now counting down - only 10 more Buffy episodes left :cry:

SPOILERS

On the plus side, only 5 more episodes before Faith returns to Sunnydale!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Buffie

Post by lance » Jan 24th 2003, 6:18 pm

Candygirl,

Yeah I don't like seeing Buffie so cold. I think though that she still has issues. She went to heaven, got resurrected and then had to claw her way out of her coffin. That, will give you issues.

I have heard from MeK that James Marsden is contracted for 8 seasons, so some speculation right now is that he could go to Angel this fall. Have you heard anything?

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 24th 2003, 7:09 pm

Well, that's assuming that Angel is renewed for another season.

I think that JM is contracted for one more year, but his contract is tied to Buffy so if they did a spin-off he wouldn't HAVE to do it. There is a lot of speculation about what exactly his contract entails, but he has said that he would be willing to continue. Yay!

As far as Buffy's ordeal, I agree that she has been through a lot in the past seven years, especially in the last year and a half, but I was hoping that all of her recent revelations (her talk with Holden, her admission that she treated Spike badly, that she feels inferior and superior, etc.) would help her work through all the issues. Instead, they just seem like exposition to justify her actions. They say that admitting your problem is half the defeat, but wanting to do something about it and then actually doing it is the other half. I understand that it would be too easy to wrap everything up in a bow and forget what has happened a la 90210, but she has been distant and cold for too long now. Yes, the ratings have declined, but how much of it is due to the fact that some people are tired of watching her mope and rationalize killing certain demons (Anya) but not others (Spike)? It's not just her emotional distance - it's her double standards and hypocrisy as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and still watch it every week, but with a few exceptional episodes this season, I have had a "been there, done that" feeling.

One of the things I love about the show (and Joss) is that he always keeps us on our toes, surprises us, throws twists and turns. This season, not so much. The fact that 12 episodes have aired but it's possible to summarize the season in a few sentences (Spike was crazy but now he isn't, Willow made herself invisible when she came back because she was afraid of the Scoobies' reactions to her return, Anya isn't a vengeance demon anymore and Hallie was killed because of her, everyone knows that Spike has his soul, the First has been making appearances and confusing the hell out of everyone, some guys in black robes are killing potential slayers, and now the remaining Slayerettes are bunked down at Buffy's house - see how fast that was?) tells me that Joss is setting up something big, but damn he sure is taking his time about it!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 25th 2003, 10:43 pm

After Buffy put the smackdown on a God in S5 I had to figure that the Uber Vamp was more of a temporary surprise than a season ender threat; she didn't even have to break out the 'ol troll hammer.

Maybe James Marsters is slated for the on-again/off-again Ripper. But would his accent stand up next to a full cast of genuine Brits?

I don't like Bitchy Buffy either, but that might be a sign of her increasingly discordant post-mortem existence. I think she understands what's coming, but it's just too much to deal with now. Not far from how us fans feel. :cry:

I did like last week better than some of the previous Dawn stories, especially that last conversation with Xander. Still, I can't help but think that Joss hasn't forgotten about The Key... :idea:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 25th 2003, 11:05 pm

Nostradamus wrote:I don't like Bitchy Buffy either, but that might be a sign of her increasingly discordant post-mortem existence. I think she understands what's coming, but it's just too much to deal with now. Not far from how us fans feel. :cry:
What a great parallel - that IS how I feel! I feel an obligation, a loyalty if you will, to watch the show, much in the same way that Buffy feels is is her responsibility to keep patrolling and to train the Slayerettes. I feel as though I almost don't care anymore what happens, but I must see it through to the end.

There have been some great moments this season, but for the most part I feel about the show the same way that Buffy feels about the First - I am just waiting for the shoe to drop, so to speak.