Peter Gabriel is coming to DVD!

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Peter Gabriel is coming to DVD!

Post by GaryEA » Jan 3rd 2003, 10:53 pm

You have to understand, this is a huge deal for me. Pete's my favorite.

The news from The Digital Bits...
First up, Peter Gabriel. Not only will his latest album, UP, be released on stereo/multi-channel SACD on January 14th from Universal Music (with at least four more catalog SACDs from Gabriel due later in the first quarter), now we're about to get the first Peter Gabriel DVD! Yes indeed, his Secret World Live will arrive in stores on 2/11. The disc will feature the concert in full frame video (the original aspect ratio), with newly-remixed audio formatted in Dolby Digital 2.0, 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well! Bonus material will include time-lapse footage of the stage set-up in Berlin, Germany, The Making of Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live documentary with interviews with Gabriel and his band, and a behind-the-scenes photo gallery. The DVD will also be all region compatible. Songs included in the performance are: Come Talk to Me, Steam, Across the River, Slow Marimbas, Shaking the Tree, Blood of Eden, San Jacinto, Kiss That Frog, Washing of the Water, Solsbury Hill, Digging in the Dirt, Sledgehammer, Secret World, Don't Give Up and In Your Eyes.
I really hope that CV, All About Us, and a new live disc for "Up" (the concert kicked major posterior) will follow.

(doing the happy dance)

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 4th 2003, 12:27 am

Awesome - as much as I love Peter Gabriel, he will always be, first and foremost, the one who helped John Cusack serenade Ione Skye in Say Anything.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 5th 2003, 2:14 am

I'm a bad PG fan... I've never seen "Say Anything".

My girlrfriend almost had a heart attack when I told her that. I'll get around to it because I'm a pretty big John Cusack fan.

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 5th 2003, 6:15 pm

GaryEA wrote:My girlrfriend almost had a heart attack when I told her that.
:shock:

Me, too! Get thee to the store!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 6th 2003, 1:09 pm

Cangygirl,
I'll second that. Gary, you MUST drop everything and go rent Say Anything. Not the greateset movie of all time, but definitely required viewing for all us kids of the 80's.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 6th 2003, 2:36 pm

Well, sounds like I have a movie to watch. I'll see if I can find it when I'm out and about this week.

Would this a bad time to mention that I've never seen "St. Elmo's Fire", "Lost Boys", "Weird Science" or "Pretty in Pink" either? :D

Gary
(procrastinating former 80's teen)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

have you seen Heathers?

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 3:04 pm

Weird Science is a staple of the 80s genre! Next thing I know, you'll be telling me that you haven't seen the Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles either :evil:

We used to watch the Lost Boys at almost every sleepover (and remember that we had sleepovers almost every weekend!) - after playing with the Ouija board but before watching the crap movie Witchboard.

I haven't watched St. Elmo's Fire for a few years, but I remember thinking that I understood it much better as an adult.

Sounds like you have an 80s marathon waiting to happen!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 6th 2003, 3:09 pm

UUGGHHH! You can't be seruios. O.K. While I never was a big fan of St. Elmo's Fire, and I never sat and watched (start-to-finish) Pretty in Pink, I can say I watched repeatedly and loved Weird Sceince and Lost Boys is a classic! I would say while you're in the 80's nostalgia aisle at Blockbuster renting Say Anything, go ahead and get those other 4 films and have yourself a marathon. Just don't forget to break out the stone-washed jeans and trim up the bi-level. :wink: Although I deserve a sound lashing for being so harsh on you. As we speak, I have Heathers sitting on my VCR at home waiting for me to watch it. I have never seen it and on VH1 on New Years day they had those shows about each year of the 80's and everyone was talking about it in the year '89. I will probably watch it tonite and get myself up to speed.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 6th 2003, 3:30 pm

Hmm...

Nope, didn't see "Sixteen Candles" either. I have seen and own "Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller" and "Some Kind of Wonderful", if that helps any. I'd also love it if they'd release "Oxford Blues" as well. I have also seen "Heathers", but I never liked it that much.

To make you kids feel better, I have it on good authority (my girlfriend) that I will be watching these films. Funny. The way she said it sounded like I didn't have a choice in the matter. Oh well.

Should be a good marathon, and since she and I are both the same age, we'll feel equally as old while watching them (sounds fair to me) .

So - who's up for popcorn? :D

Gary

p.s. And there will be no 80's clothes revivals during this marathon! No neon shirts, nothing ripped intentionally, nary a stone to wash a jean against, and Sweet Mother of Pearl - I will not be wearing my old Duran Duran hat! :lol:

p.p.s. That VH1 80's show is both hysterical and frightening!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 6th 2003, 3:36 pm

Yes, Sixteen Candles is also REQUIRED VIEWING!!!!! Make certain you get that done A.S.A.P.!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you got a good woman there Gary.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 8:22 pm

Hey Gary, you want to add Breakin' and Girls Just Want to Have Fun to your 80s movie marathon under the Good Dancing/Bad Acting genre?

Come on - Emmy award winner Sarah Jessica Parker, Oscar winner Helen Hunt, Shannen Doherty of 90210, "The Single Guy" Jonathan Silverman (and honestly who can forget his cinematic excellence in Weekend at Bernie's?), and Holly Gagnier (Ivy on Days of Our Lives from many moons ago and later Gina on Baywatch) all in the same awesome movie?

Do it! (say it like Homer)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 22nd 2003, 5:23 pm

Quick update...

It's gets better. The Digital Bits has reported that SWL will be in a remastered widescreen, along with a new sound mix.

Street date remains at 2/11. Nice!

Gary

p.s. And no, I will not add Breakin' to my marathon. That would send my Velveet-o-meter(TM) off the chart. :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2003, 5:47 pm

I'm willing to compromise - as long as Say Anything, Weird Science, St. Elmo's Fire, Lost Boys, and Sixteen Candles (which I prefer over Pretty in Pink) are definitely on the schedule, I'm willing to trade Breakin' for Girls Just Want to Have Fun :wink:

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 22nd 2003, 6:18 pm

Yeah, G., where do we stand on your required viewing? Have you taken all those in yet?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 22nd 2003, 7:50 pm

The list of films that candy agreed upon today will be my 80's extravaganza. After I soak those in (I don't know when, but I will), maybe I'll move on to films like Flashdance.

Oh, my girlfriend says that I have to watch Sixteen Candles. Apparently, if I don't, I'm a communist. Such pressure!

Side note: Having insomnia can be annoying, but it can also bring back memories. Last night, I watched Oxford Blues for the first time in I don't know how long.

I've always loved that film, warts and all, and a young Ally Sheedy never hurt. :)

I wish they'd release that to disc...

Gary