Shane

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Shane

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 1st 2002, 6:59 pm

Although we discussed Shane a bit in Jordan & Angela, I thought it was funny that Shane is seen carrying his drumsticks (Shannon Leto does play the drums in real life so maybe that was his own little interpretation of the character), but when we see Between Names perform at Vertigo (On the Wagon), someone else is playing the drums.

Does that mean Shane is just a rock star wannabe? The backup drummer? In another band? A groupie who caught drumsticks at a concert and can't let it go?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 1st 2002, 7:08 pm

I noticed that, as well. Some random dude is playing the drums when Between Names rehearses and then plays at Vertigo. I don't know why that would be...?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 1st 2002, 7:11 pm

IF I had noticed this when the show originally aired, I probably would have assumed it was because Shannon couldn't really play the drums, but since I now know that he plays the drums beyond competently, it makes no sense.

I don't know the union rules for extras - maybe paying him for one line ("Catalano, let's go") has a different pay scale than having him use a skill like playing a musical instrument.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 1st 2002, 7:18 pm

Maybe.. :lol: But wasn't he a pretty regular back drop to the series? I wonder is Sab or anyone else has any trivia on why he holds those drumsticks, and doesn't actually play the drums in the series...
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 1st 2002, 7:48 pm

The encyclopedia lists Shannon appearing in Why Jordan Can't Read and Self Esteem, but off the top of my head he also appears in Strangers in the House. I think WJCR and SE may be the only episodes where he actually spoke, but it seems like we saw him a lot throughout the series.

Must go watch all 19 episodes to confirm.

:D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 1st 2002, 9:27 pm

candygirl wrote:Must go watch all 19 episodes to confirm.

Go ahead. I'll wait. :wink:

It does seem like Shane was always a back drop as a member of Jordan's group of friends, he just didn't always have a line... I want to watch Self-Esteem again, but I think that might push my husband over the edge, he's already seen it 5 times! :lol: :lol:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:08 pm

Megs wrote:I want to watch Self-Esteem again, but I think that might push my husband over the edge, he's already seen it 5 times! :lol: :lol:
Tell him to think of it as being in training for a marathon!

:wink:

Besides, how will he memorize all the good lines if he doesn't keep watching it obsessively?!

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:43 pm

HA! He's starting to! We were listening to the Unofficial Soundtrack in the car the other night, and it was at the part where Brian says, "Whatever happens, happens" and Angela's like, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard". My husband said, "hey, they should have added the part where Angela tells Jordan that she "really has to respect that" after Jordan says "Whatever happens...". :lol: Cracked me up. I didn't think that he paid that much attention!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:47 pm

I can relate - my boyfriend says he doesn't watch Buffy, and technically he doesn't. When I watch it, he is usually making dinner, reading the paper, checking his email, etc. aka NOT sitting on the sofa with me.

Despite this ploy of his, sometimes when Spike or Xander say something funny (or whenever Willow says, "I think I'm kinda gay"), he starts laughing!

glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

Post by glitter_punk » Dec 2nd 2002, 7:26 pm

lol... i went home for break during college and I was watching MSCL with my mom and she got into a fight with my dad and she said, "why are you like this... like how you are?!" and then my boyfriend has been quoting MSCL ever since I got the DVD's and on the way back home to chicago, I brought my laptop and was watching the DVD's in the car and my boyfriend's been talking like jordan all the time now, everytime I say "your (something) is bad/good" he'll respond with "My what?" like jordan did after angela talked about his cuticles
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Shane

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Dec 4th 2002, 9:52 am

Candygirl, my memory must have been really faulty because I always thought that Shane was the drummer for "Between Names." After seeing Shane perform at a recent 30 Seconds to Mars concert, imagine my surprise when watching the DVDs and realizing that Jordan's band actually did not feature Shane on drums. My vote for why Shane always had the drumsticks was he was in a band himself or searching for a band. Drummers often carry around drumsticks or turn other items into makeshift drumsticks, so I definitely think Shane was a real drummer even if we never got to see him play the drums.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

maddymay
Tino

Post by maddymay » Jan 3rd 2003, 3:23 pm

Shane doesn't play the drums in "On the Wagon", but in "Why Jordan Can't Read", when Angela is discovering that Jordan can't read, Shane interupts and says that Tino found a loft where the Frozen Embryos can practice, and he says something like, "So, we should tell the other embryos" so in that episode he was part of the band. just a thought
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. Then you tell me... you know... that you forgive me."

mmm

Post by Guest » Jan 4th 2003, 5:08 am

I know this is off-topic a bit from the context we are discussing Shane in, but isnt he so hawt?! I mean, the way he leans and everything!!! Just as yummy as Jordan in my humble opinion...

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 13th 2010, 2:14 am

As maddymay said, Shane was in Frozen Embryos in the beginning (maybe he dropped out when Amber's tarot cards told him that Tino had a proclivity for smashing up bass drums). It does seem like he's in a lot of the early episodes, but I think it's actually one three -- WJCR SITH SE (I don't think we see him again after "Self Esteem").

These had me laughing : )
Natasha (candygirl) wrote:Does that mean Shane is just a rock star wannabe? The backup drummer? In another band? A groupie who caught drumsticks at a concert and can't let it go?
glitter_punk wrote: lol... my boyfriend's been talking like jordan all the time now, everytime I say "your (something) is bad/good" he'll respond with "My what?" like jordan did after angela talked about his cuticles
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 1st 2010, 5:45 am

So, after my recent rescreening of the dvds (skipped #1), I thought I'd give Shane some forum attention: I love watching this character – I love the facial expression he makes in the hallway scene at the end of Self-Esteem – I rewind more to see those few moments more than any other. What I like, is that despite all the times he’s been a d***, impatient, and all the times he's pulled Jordan away from Angela, I think he’s got Jordan’s best interest at heart, and is looking out for him. It seems to me that Shane and Hallie both see something of a stray puppy in Jordan Catalano -- something that needs to be looked out for, controlled. Jordan will walk or drive away from anything when he really wants to , but a lot of the things he does in the show happen because others tell him to – and he seems perfectly content with the arrangement. His ambivalence about the world is almost paralyzing. But Shane sees that he likes Angela, and when he sees that -- not just her chasing after him -- he changes his tune. He, to me, looks just as happy as Rickie does when the two walk hand in hand down the hallway at the end of 'everyone’s favorite scene'. How he comes to this new realization I’m not sure. Did Jordan explain things after she and Rayanne left Pyke Street? Possibly; but judging from Jordan's expression when Angela calls him on his treatment of her depending on the presence of his friends, no. He could have talked about it after being left in the boiler room... But, it takes the English lesson and his collaboration with Brian for Jordan to really see that he likes her... There was little chance to talk to Shane about in those few moments in the hall, and yet Shane knows, and, like Darcy for Bingley, he gives his consent. (I'm pretty sure we've discussed it somewhere else, but I also like how physical Shane is with Jordan.)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !