When do you want to watch MSCL weekly?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Poll ended at Jan 8th 2003, 9:51 pm

Sunday
18%
Monday
55%
Tuesday
No votes
Wednesday
9%
Thursday
No votes
Friday
18%
Saturday
No votes

Total votes: 11

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 1st 2003, 9:51 pm

Since most people have their MSCL DVDs now, I figured we should revisit the idea of watching the DVDs and discussing the episodes from start to finish. RL precludes me from an aggressive viewing schedule, so I was hoping you'd be open to watching the show once a week at a designated day/time. Those who are able can meet online to discuss once the episode is over, and those who can't meet at the designated time can still get in on the discussion when they have a chance.

Right now, we'll vote on the day. Then we can tackle the time (which will probably be a bit more difficult to decide given the time differences among us) in a poll to follow this one.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: When do you want to watch MSCL weekly?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 1st 2003, 9:57 pm

Since I watch and/or discuss other shows Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, I decided to go with Wednesday, my typically quietest TV day of the week.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 2nd 2003, 12:07 am

One episode a week seems reasonable; that's how we saw them in the first place...

I'm afraid I can't vote on this one though, as my schedule for any given week can only be determined with the use of complex divination magicks that I'd just as soon not meddle with.

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Double Espresso » Jan 2nd 2003, 10:26 am

I well up for this. Any day of the week is good for me, having only 5 channels in the UK I can usually fit in 1 45 minute show. As a solution to the meet-up times, couldn't it just be done on here, as one (long?) thread? That way it can last a week (or more), and UK folks can join in the morning after or something like that.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 2nd 2003, 11:06 am

Any day would work for me as well. NJessie, the only thing I would say about Wednesdays, is I think I saw that Angel was moving to Wed's. this Jan. (Next week maybe?) And I know there are a lot of Angel watchers here. (me included)
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 2nd 2003, 12:23 pm

I picked Monday night. That's the only night that I either don't go to the gym or don't have any other shows to watch. But it might have to wait until football is over, b/c the DVD player is in the living room connected to the big screen TV, and my husband has to watch football there...

I love this idea!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 2nd 2003, 12:42 pm

I picked Monday too as it will allow me the whole weekend to find time to watch it, then we can discuss it during the week.

I agree with Double Espresso - it would be best to have it as a thread here; that way the time difference is taken care of, at least a bit. As long as nobody takes it off topic, that would work pretty well.

I'd like to get in on these discussions but if it's in a chatroom I won't be able to as the time difference means I am going to sleep as america wakes up (sort of). Plus, I only get to post at work, and while I can do that with a sort of 'one post every so often' approach, sitting there chatting constantly will present a problem. I sense my boss would be less than understanding :P

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Angelas_Dream
Tino

Post by Angelas_Dream » Jan 2nd 2003, 5:35 pm

I voted for Monday, but any day of the week would be fine with me. I'd make time :).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 2nd 2003, 7:28 pm

I think that we do need to take the time zone differences into account, so it sounds like rather than everyone trying to make it to the chat room simultaneously, maybe a better arrangement would be for us to start a new episode discussion thread each Monday. That way you can watch the episode on whatever day you like AND participate in the discussion when you have time. I realize that some of you would prefer a real-time chat, but with members in four different American time zones as well as Australia and Europe, there will never be a time that is good for everyone and ideally the discussions should be as inclusive and convenient as possible.

Does this sound like an acceptable arrangement?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

vampyr
Tino

Is "one per week" really a requirement?

Post by vampyr » Jan 3rd 2003, 4:16 am

Given that episodes will be discussed by forum thread and a new thread will be created for each episode, why not create all 19 threads right now? Some will jump the gun, some will fall behind, but those for whom the "one per week" schedule makes a difference will still be there on time, and any earlier posts will just be fodder for the discussion.

Perhaps a 20th thread announcing and/or discussing specific episode reviewing plans rather than precisely one-per-week? That would make room for things like a majority being on vacation, sweeps months, rerun months, sports and cetera that might affect people's viewing schedules.

Sorry I had to suggest all these options, it just looked like this was going to be way too simple. Can't have that. Have we learned nothing from politics? Anything worth doing is worth endlessly discussing first.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Thanx to everyone for voting

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 3rd 2003, 4:39 am

I set the poll for seven days to give people enough time to get in on this query and I'm willing to go with whatever the majority day is. As for how to discuss them, I was always thinking an episode discussion thread because that would be something permanent that people could jump into whenever convenient for them. I figured those who wanted to meet in real time could post on the thread around the same time on the designated day, while those who had other things going on in RL could just jump in whenever he/she wanted.

As for creating all 19 threads now, I think we should hold off on that. I moderate episode discussions on another forum and what has worked for us is having the threads for the regular episode discussions started close to the designated time/day. Then there's a master thread that contains the links to all existing episode threads, as they're posted, for easy reference. This keeps everyone on somewhat of the same schedule and keeps the episode at hand fresh in everyone's mind.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 3rd 2003, 6:13 am

I agree that creating all 19 threads now would be a little pre-emptive. The forums are a few years old, so if you are burning to discuss a particular episode right now, you can probably find a thread that was already started. Here are several threads that pertain to specific episodes and themes:

World Happiness Dance
Guns & Gossip
So-Called Angels
Weekend
math references
school
Amber: good or bad mother?
food
Graham and Hallie
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Jan 3rd 2003, 12:28 pm

maybe a better arrangement would be for us to start a new episode discussion thread each Monday. That way you can watch the episode on whatever day you like AND participate in the discussion when you have time.

I think this is probably the way to go :D

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Jan 3rd 2003, 1:29 pm

I think Monday would make it a good start of the week.
----------------
Make it count.

Post by Guest » Jan 4th 2003, 2:46 am

Monday works for me, too. And just so I understand this correctly, a new episode thread STARTS each Monday, and is left up, right? It's not taken down when the new ep thread is posted?? At least that's what it sounds like. Anyway, that sounds cool to me - this way, we can all drop in and discuss any ep. once it's posted even if you can't watch that particular ep that week. Ok, stating the obvious I guess :D With so many folks voting and what not, just wanted to be clear...