Any Anime fans or Otaku here?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 18th 2002, 2:35 am

GaryEA wrote: Sounds both like Dual! and Lain/Eva.
Definitely. I haven't watched much of Dual! yet, only have the first volume, and only watched one ep. of it. Plan to once i catch up on my HUGE backlog of anime.
Heh... That mall wouldn't be on the Hudson River, would it? :wink: (I love that place... it's the only place I can find milk-tea)..
Yep in Edgewater. Use to be called Yaohan, now it is Mitsuwa. I buy my Ramune soda there :), amongst many things i can't afford. I just blew over a hundred dollars on some manga, some xmas gifts and magazines there tonight.

It does take a good portion of the show's run to get into the core of what is really going on, but getting there is a damn fun trip. Details like what makes up the fluids inside an Eva when a pilot is inside, or the early mysteries of Rei (his first trip to her apartment) are fantastic. And I love the running gag with Shinji and hospital ceilings.

But when the show kicks in, it KICKS IN, and if you're not on the same wavewlength by then, you're going to get lost pretty fast, especially with the abrupt pace of the last few episodes. Thankfully the movies are now available and the whole show can be viewed as a whole..
Doesn't it kick in? Like a swift kick to the pineal gland.

I've been trying to get a friend of mine to watch the series but he hasn't yet because someone (who clearly had no clue what the show was about) explained it to him as a big robot show. Which it really isn't at all. That is the smallest part of the story really. It's hard because I want to lend him a few eps. but since it takes about .5 the series to get to the real essence of the show, I think he might get bored and not into the show because of his preconceived notion of what it is. But i can't show him a later ep. because it ruins the initial impact of watching it in order.
I just heard that Eva is going to get another tv run, followed by another round of tapes/DVDs, along with new toys. Interesting...
Hmm i didn't know they were re-airing it. I know they are re-releasing the R2s with a whole new 5.1 mix and i think they might be cleaning up the vid. I can't wait for the next wave of products though :twisted:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 2nd 2003, 5:50 pm

Don't have time to dig up the link but saw that when the next Matrix movie comes out in theaters their will be a DVD called the animatrix released as well that will have various matrix anime movies...
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 2nd 2003, 6:20 pm

I'm more excited about the Animatrix project than I am about the two sequels (though I'm jazzed about them as well).

When I saw the material about it on the Matrix Revisited disc, I was stunned by how amazing the stuff looked. There was a recent trailer for it on the official site. If I can find the link I'll post it.

EDIT: I found it. Go to the Matrix web site, click on breaking news. There will be an update for 12/22, talking about the Newsweek article. After that they will mention Animatrix. Click on the green highlighted "Animatrix" and it will take you to a menu of sizes you can view the trailer in. Enjoy!

Next year is going to be a kick ass year for Matrix fans. (Take notes Mr. Lucas :P)

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 2nd 2003, 6:26 pm

Yeah I am also psyched to see the animatrix stuff too.

Good year indeed

GaryEA wrote:I'm more excited about the Animatrix project than I am about the two sequels (though I'm jazzed about them as well).

When I saw the material about it on the Matrix Revisited disc, I was stunned by how amazing the stuff looked. There was a recent trailer for it on the official site. If I can find the link I'll post it.

EDIT: I found it. Go to the Matrix web site, click on breaking news. There will be an update for 12/22, talking about the Newsweek article. After that they will mention Animatrix. Click on the green highlighted "Animatrix" and it will take you to a menu of sizes you can view the trailer in. Enjoy!

Next year is going to be a kick ass year for Matrix fans. (Take notes Mr. Lucas :P)

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

anime

Post by lance » Jan 3rd 2003, 3:55 pm

Hey all,

Dang, I am away two days and Gary is up to 173 post, Is there no stopping this man? :wink:

Anybody out there Robotech Fans? I got all the box sets last year.

dTheater Robotech was one of the first cartoon shown on American Television were main characters where actually killed:

SPOLIER WARNING!

Like Roy Fokker, Ben Dixon, Khyron and Myra for example. Remember G.I. Joe, where everybody managed to parachute to safety?

Like Exo-Squad and Star Blazers, Robotech was a series that had multiple plots running the course of the series. Like any other good Soap Operas if you missed too many episodes you could get lost. A great animated series for those of you who haven't seen it yet, I strongly recommend it.

Best,

Lance Man

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Jan 3rd 2003, 4:41 pm

I have to spread my word; Rurouni Kenshin is a good tv-show. I like the graphics mostly.

I have started watching Spirited away. I like it.

We ordered Blood on DVD. If someone has seen it, might you explain it to me. When it was over I felt like I missed something. It seemed very short.
----------------
Make it count.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 3rd 2003, 5:46 pm

KrokRos wrote:We ordered Blood on DVD. If someone has seen it, might you explain it to me. When it was over I felt like I missed something. It seemed very short.
Blood: The Last Vampire is just a part of the whole story. They had atleast one Manga, a video game and there is still rumors of another anime film. If memory serves, Blood takes place in between the manga and the videogame, to get the full story you would need to play the game (which was never released outside of Japan, as far as i know) and read the manga (which has been translated into english i believe).

I may be wrong on certain parts of this as I am just doing this from memory, so if anyone knows just correct me.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jan 3rd 2003, 6:30 pm

Dang, I am away two days and Gary is up to 173 post, Is there no stopping this man?
Feeling the heat, aren't ya? I'm gaining big guy... :lol:

Gary

(And keep an eye out for your sis. She sounds like a real firecracker)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: anime

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 4th 2003, 12:09 am

lance wrote:Like Roy Fokker
Any relation to Greg Fokker, RN?

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 4th 2003, 11:11 am

candygirl wrote:

Hello,

Candygirl not that I am aware of. Huh? I am not certain whether you are being serious or being just tongue-in-cheek.

Other cool news there is a new Robotech comic put out by WildStorm comics. Really, great pictures, I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming issues.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

new site: animeGlitch

Post by fnordboy » Jan 5th 2003, 7:54 am

My girlfriend and I have been planning on putting up an anime wallpaper site for awhile now, finally got off our asses and built it over the last week. It has now evolved into something more, and hopefully will keep evolving. The site is now live (since about 2 hours ago) with about half the content up, the rest should be going up this week. I also set up a forum so hopefully some of you MSCL.com anime fans will pop over there too and help get it off the ground (and we can stop boring the uninitiated with our anime convos here ;) ).

animeGlitch
http://anime.chaostatic.net

Hope to see you there.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 5th 2003, 6:17 pm

lance wrote:
candygirl wrote:

Candygirl not that I am aware of. Huh? I am not certain whether you are being serious or being just tongue-in-cheek.
Uhh, that was just my lame attempt at making a "Meet the Parents" joke. I'll be over in the corner with my straitjacket.

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 9th 2003, 10:59 am

candygirl wrote:
lance wrote:
candygirl wrote: Any relation to Greg Fokker, RN?

Uhh, that was just my lame attempt at making a "Meet the Parents" joke. I'll be over in the corner with my straitjacket.

:wink:
LOL!

Me

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 10th 2003, 10:25 am

candygirl wrote:I'll be over in the corner with my straitjacket.
Its getting crowded in this corner! "MOM she won't stop elbowing me!" :twisted:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 20th 2003, 6:37 pm

I can't remember where I first mentioned it, but I received an e-mail from AnimeNation about the re-release of Evangelion...
Evangelion No One Has Ever Seen
Gainax has released specific details of the "Renewal of Evangelion" Japanese home video release. All of the Evangelion animation will be re-released in a 10 disc DVD boxed set that contains the entire 26 episode TV series broadcast on Japanese television 7 years ago, the extended "director's cut" versions of episodes 21-24, and the final edits of the Death and End of Evangelion movies. The video footage will be entirely remastered to present the best looking Evangelion ever seen and will include 2.0 and 5.1 audio tracks. The new DVD set will also include 1 bonus disc of supplemental material featuring non-credit opening and ending, trailers, and a never before released "live action version of the film."

The Renewal of Evangelion DVD boxed set will be released in Japan on June 25th at a retail price of 39,800 yen. The individual DVDs will be released separately beginning in July.

As a sneak preview of the remastered re-release, Gainax will release a "Neon Genesis Evangelion 01 Test-Type" DVD on March 26th. This 30 minute DVD will retail for 1500 yen and include the remastered TV episode 1 and a new music video of "Zankoku na Tenshi no Teze."
LIVE ACTION EVANGELION!?

This bad boy better hop over the pond. I can't afford an all-region player and a box set like this.

Regardless, if anyone finds a site that has the box set and the Test Type disc for pre-order, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Gary