Drilled on the MSCL DVDs? Check out LOTR!

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 18th 2002, 5:57 am

Friday night's the night!
But my boyfriend hated the Fellowship except for the constant dramatic repetition of the word 'MORDOR', so I have had to fight to get him to go....

It's not the same watching it with someone who doesn't appreciate it :(

Still, I'm really looking forward to it. Apparently there is a 47 minute battle scene!

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 18th 2002, 8:11 am

fnordboy wrote:I'm waiting for the DVD.
And there's already some news about the Two Towers DVDs: (from http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?4387 )
While we'll doubtless see a standard release of The Two Towers next year, we'll very likely see a second extended edition emerge towards the tail-end of 2003, including a wealth of material that didn't make the film's final cut.

"Yeah, we've got some good scenes that we didn't put in," Jackson told Empire Online. "There's a lot more stuff with Merry, Pippin and Treebeard. There's the sequence from the book where they drink Ent draught - which we shot but didn't end up putting in the movie because of pacing, but that'll be good for the DVD. There's a bunch of good scenes."

And what of Return of the King, has Jackson already got the third film slated for an unabridged DVD release? "Actually, we haven't cut it yet. I'll find out once we cut the film together, then we'll see what's in the movie and what we're going to leave out and finally, whether or not that's worth putting on a DVD." Something tells us the answer will be a resounding 'yes'.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 18th 2002, 11:48 am

sab wrote:And there's already some news about the Two Towers DVDs: (from http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?4387 )
Very cool! Though this does suck that for each release I must double dip and get the standard so i don't have to wait to see it and then the super duper ultimate deluxe special edition dvd.

And of course they will probably release a set with all of them that will have extra sh!t.

Summoned
Tino

Post by Summoned » Dec 18th 2002, 1:59 pm

I did go see TTT last night. For a quick assessment, I would say not quite as good at FotR, but still better than most anything I expect to see in the next little while.

SPOILER (minor)

Christopher Lee's reaction to the word "children" is classic. Prompted quite a bit of reckless interpretation from several of my friends I was seeing the movie with.
Daydreaming days in a daydream nation

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 18th 2002, 10:38 pm

starbug wrote:Still, I'm really looking forward to it. Apparently there is a 47 minute battle scene!
TNT reran the behind the scenes special again last night so I was able to catch most of it. If the 47 minute battle is the one they talked about, they said it took four months of night filming. I can only imagine how grueling that must have been!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 19th 2002, 6:17 am

candygirl wrote: TNT reran the behind the scenes special again last night so I was able to catch most of it. If the 47 minute battle is the one they talked about, they said it took four months of night filming. I can only imagine how grueling that must have been!
I have the special edition of FotR and on there they had a little 10 minute preview of TTT, and they said the same thing - sounds quite horrific, I must say. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the end results of all that hard work.

There's a huge buzz at the moment; my upstairs neighbour has a massive surround sound system and if he has it on loudly we can hear it. Last night there was this sort of constant distant rumble followed by yelling and classical music... he was watching FotR in preparation I guess. Funnily enough, I beat him to it as that's exactly what I was doing on Sunday night! :D

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Two Towers

Post by lance » Dec 19th 2002, 8:55 am

Hey all,

I got to see Two Towers yesterday. It was great! :D The battle for Helm's Deep just rocks. The overall pace of the movie is quicker than the last. Gollum should be up for some kind of award. Glimli steals the show with great comic relief.

Sascha thanks for the DVD info, I eagerly await the extended edition release.

Definately worth seeing guys & gals.

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 25th 2002, 2:27 am

:idea:

FYI: The December 2002 issue of Popular Science contained an article about the making of Helm's Deep using a combination of live action and the latest digital tricks. The special effects crew gave each of the 50,000 computer generated combatants it's own artificial intelligence program to more easily shape the course of the battle.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 2nd 2003, 7:19 am

Wow. I saw this film on 20th (I have been off work since then and unable to post - I neeeeeed a PC at home!) and I can honestly say I was blown away.

In fact, words cannot express what I need to say. It was fantastic in every sense. I thought FotR was good but this was incredible. I sat there with my mouth gaping and couldn't believe when it was over.

I will have to go and see it again soon though as some guy's hair in front of me was obscuring my view. The curse of being short strikes again....

Oh, and I'm in love. With Mr. Mortensen. What a man....

:oops: :oops:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 21st 2003, 5:29 pm

Update on TTT DVD:

"Release date for the Theatrical Edition will be August 26th, and the Extended Edition will be November 18th."

See here for more details and some pictures.

So, who's going to wait for the Extended Version, who buys both? :-) Only three months difference... I guess I'll wait till November.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 22nd 2003, 2:14 pm

sab wrote:So, who's going to wait for the Extended Version, who buys both? :-) Only three months difference... I guess I'll wait till November.
I will buy both, for several reasons:

- I did not go to the theater to see this and have been waiting for the DVD so I can finally watch it.

- If it is like with the first movie, The extras on the first release will not be the same as on the Extended cut.

- They will be two completely different movies, theatrical and extended

- I am a completist slore. I need to have everything ;)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 22nd 2003, 2:44 pm

I am going to rent the theatrical edition from Netflix, but buy the extended version. Hee - I'm insatiable (but broke)!

:D

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

lotr

Post by lance » Apr 22nd 2003, 4:14 pm

Still broke :(

Going for the extended version for Christmas :D

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 28th 2003, 4:26 am

fnordboy wrote:- If it is like with the first movie, The extras on the first release will not be the same as on the Extended cut.
I admit I'm not a total Hobbit-head (or whatever you might call someone who loves LOTR to the point of obsession), so what are the differences in the extras on the theatrical release DVD and the extended super duper multi-disc copies of the Fellowship of the Ring?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 28th 2003, 11:12 am

candygirl wrote:
fnordboy wrote:- If it is like with the first movie, The extras on the first release will not be the same as on the Extended cut.
I admit I'm not a total Hobbit-head (or whatever you might call someone who loves LOTR to the point of obsession), so what are the differences in the extras on the theatrical release DVD and the extended super duper multi-disc copies of the Fellowship of the Ring?
Admittedly I too am not a hobbithead (heh i like that! :D ), and I also have yet to go through all the extras on the extended disc. If i did my backlog pile of dvds would be even bigger than it is now :shock: .

Off hand I cant tell you exactly but there are tons of featurettes and docs on the extended, plus if you got the uber hobbit release with the bookends you got another DVD that was the National Geographic special on the Lord of the Rings. Mainly there are a lot of technical docs about how they did the scaling of size (hobbit vs elf) and the wepons and armor and the like. THere are also about 4 or 5 commentary tracks iirc.