US people, recommend me some shows!!

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

US people, recommend me some shows!!

Post by Double Espresso » Dec 29th 2002, 1:14 pm

OK, so I can download some pretty good quality versions of shows currently on US networks, that will either never get shown over here, or will be on at strange times/on networks that I don't get. Anyone recommend me some good stuff that's currently showing on your end of the pond? I've started watching FIREFLY, and I quite like it, which is probably why it looks to be going the way of MSCL and getting cancelled. Other than that I'm clueless about what's good to watch. I've heard a series called ALIAS is supposed to be good?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 29th 2002, 10:26 pm

Hmm... have you tried Monk yet?

I found this light comedy/mystery mixture a refreshing departure from the typical modern cop show. Tony Shalhoub is turning in one of his best performances as the title character, with a good supporting cast and crew behind him.

Monk is currently on hiatus but has been picked up by the USA Network for a second season this summer. In the mean time you might catch up on reruns of season one.

Here is the show's official site. Just remember to skip the episode guide to avoid the spoilers...

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Dec 30th 2002, 10:24 am

I like Alais. You may give it a look if you get the chance.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

TV

Post by lance » Dec 30th 2002, 1:28 pm

Hello,

As a member of the Save Farscape Campaign, may I recommend Farscape. A great show with awesome writing, good cast, action and a love story. What more could one ask for?

Lance Man

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: TV

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Dec 31st 2002, 2:18 am

Double Espresso, I love your name! As for your query, I definitely would recommend Alias, which is on its second season. You can catch up on it at http://www.abc.com/primetime/alias . Another good one would be 24, http://www.fox.com/24 , which is also on its second season.

Two of my favorite shows that no longer produce new episodes but are classic in their own right are La Femme Nikita (five seasons) and Highlander: The Series (six seasons). And I would also recommend Witchblade despite it unfortunately being canceled after two seasons.

After you download, come back and share. I'd love to know how our recommendations fared.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Double Espresso » Dec 31st 2002, 5:24 am

We get FARSCAPE and 24 on the BBC, just a long time after it airs on anything else. Basically we'll probably see the 2nd season of 24 in about 6 months or so, and the final season of FARSCAPE is currently airing.

I'll see what i can find with regards to the other recommendations, thanks.

bdckr
Jody Barsh

Post by bdckr » Dec 31st 2002, 10:31 am

Life with Bonnie is pretty good. I'm a huge fan of Bonnie Hunt (and apparently, so is David Letterman, since his company seems to always be involved in producing her shows. I'm not sure how succesful it's been, but if her previous sitcoms are any indication (The Building, The Bonnie Hunt Show), it will be cancelled before the season is over, and no one will remember it.

Alias is a good choice, too. This season has been getting really interesting.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 31st 2002, 5:35 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Hmm... have you tried Monk yet?

I found this light comedy/mystery mixture a refreshing departure from the typical modern cop show. Tony Shalhoub is turning in one of his best performances as the title character, with a good supporting cast and crew behind him.

Monk is currently on hiatus but has been picked up by the USA Network for a second season this summer. In the mean time you might catch up on reruns of season one.

Here is the show's official site. Just remember to skip the episode guide to avoid the spoilers...

:)
Nostradamus,

My wife and I just saw an episode last night on ABC, we loved it! Tony Shalhoub is wonderful. If I recall correctly he also played the engineer in Galaxy Quest.

I am glad that USA picked it up for another season.

Lance Man

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Dec 31st 2002, 7:13 pm

There's really nothing good currently on, except maybe a few shows on HBO.

Can you get cancelled shows? If you never got Sports Night or The Newsroom, check them both out immediately.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 2nd 2003, 4:51 am

Lance Man,

Glad you liked it. The first season was brief, so you should be able to catch up before the new one starts.

Yep, that was Tony Shalhoub in Galaxy Quest. My personal favorite role of his (other than Monk) was the mad scientist Dr. Chester Banton in the season two X-Files episode "Soft Light". It takes a great actor to convincingly use the phrase "brain suck" with a straight face. :wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 2nd 2003, 10:08 am

Whats your thoughts on Firefly... even though it looks like it won't be back :cry:

I really liked it, but ofcourse I tend to like most things Joss writes. As for the HBO... Please no more!!! The Sapranos were terrible this season!!!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Double Espresso » Jan 2nd 2003, 10:20 am

I really liked what I've seen of FIREFLY - 2 episodes and a crappy version of the pilot - that whole sci-fi meets western thing works well, the characters seem interesting and there's quite a lot of scope for the story to progress. I hear that it's already been cancelled and that Fox haven't even shown all the episodes that have been made!! This is a shame, then again it can join MSCL as a show that never had a chance to go crap.

I have the first 2 seasons of SOPRANOS on DVD, and I'll be getting Season 3 next pay day. Is season 4 really bad? I've like all the rest.

Nightjessi - I got some episodes of ALIAS over the New Years Day, though haven't watched them yet. I notice it's written by JJ Abrams who write FELICITY, I quite like the first season of FELICITY, haven't seen any others.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 2nd 2003, 10:59 am

I was wondering if Firefly got binned. I noticed while surfing last night FOX ran a promo. that stated that Bill Bellamy cop show was moving to F-Fly's time slot on Friday's. Is it really over? Anybody looking forward to the return of Angel?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 2nd 2003, 11:20 am

Double Espresso wrote:I have the first 2 seasons of SOPRANOS on DVD, and I'll be getting Season 3 next pay day. Is season 4 really bad? I've like all the rest.
Not at all Season 4 was as good, if not better, than Season 3 or 2. A few people did not like this season for some reason. Most it seems because there wasn't enough violence/killing. Granted, I have my problems with it, mainly the last few episodes, but all in all it was one of the better seasons they've had.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 2nd 2003, 12:21 pm

I heard on CNN that Fox was inundated (is that spelled correctly? Give me a break; I'm a PSU grad :wink: ) with fan mail about the cancellation of Firefly and one other show. They said that its has not been unheard of before to have fan mail change the minds of the execs at Fox. So, hopefully it worked.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."