Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Buffy

Post by lance » Dec 17th 2002, 10:30 pm

Hey,

Just saw tonight's Buffy episode. Very cool. The principal becomes more interesting. As a member of the Spike appreciation faction I was impressed by Spike's steadfast loyalty to Buffy in the face of continued torture. May not be love but he is giving his all for Buffy.

I was also fond of the Buffy's declaration of war at the end. Very cool.

Lance Man

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 18th 2002, 11:23 am

Warning Spoiler if you have not seen last nights ep.

Of course this begs the question: is it REALLY Giles?
And
Not sure how they're getting Giles out of his imminent beheading...
Maybe I missed it but they never showed how Giles got out of that. I couldn't decided but it sure felt like the Giles that we saw was not the Giles we knew. Things like Buffy's mom tellin her she needed to rest and Giles sayin the same thing make me think that its not really Giles.

As for the SIT, one down and I think the other British one is a gonner too. Leaving the one that stayed in Willows room, anyone else see the Willow love intrest forshadowing in the "don't steal the covers!" comment.

On the issue of SIT I think there have been references to Giles spying on Buffy before her true calling. There was even a flash back to her sitting on the steps of her old school before she left for Sunnydale and Giles and or that other demon (what was his name?) looking at her knowing she would play a part in the coming apocolypes.
I saw Quentin on 24 not ten minutes later so I was pointing at the tv, yelling, "Buffy! Buffy!...
This is the whole reason I could never stand watching I Know What You Did Last Summer, Some guy in a slicker is never going to be able to kick the slayers ass! :D
As far as Xander leaving her...
After last night I sense a getting back together coming! Their lives threatened not knowing if they will make it. Hell that when Xander proposed last time! It falls under the whole Speed Quote of "Relationships based on intense situations..."
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Dec 19th 2002, 12:09 pm

mglenn wrote:On the issue of SIT I think there have been references to Giles spying on Buffy before her true calling. There was even a flash back to her sitting on the steps of her old school before she left for Sunnydale and Giles and or that other demon (what was his name?) looking at her knowing she would play a part in the coming apocolypes.
As far as I recall, Giles had never met/seen Buffy when she came to Sunnydale. When she meanders into the library looking for textbooks in Welcome to the Hellmouth, he knows that she's a new student, but he's not positive she's the slayer. He brings out the Vampyr book, and when she says it's not what she's looking for, he is confused but assumes that he has mistaken her identity.

The ones who saw Buffy before she moved to Sunnydale were Whistler and Angel (flashbacks from Becoming, Pt I). Whistler was an "immortal demon sent down to even the score between good and evil"...he introduced Angel to Buffy and helped him "become someone."

"Bring on the Night" (7.10)

As far as Giles is concerned, I think I may be in the small minority who believe it might actually be Giles. At this point, the writers have set us up to doubt everyone and everything, which makes it very hard to decipher what is/isn't real. We don't have confirmation on much. It's still possible that Joyce's message to Dawn in CwDP (and even her messages to Buffy in BotN) was(were) really from Joyce. Of course, it could also have been the First. I agree that some of Giles's behavior did not seem like Giles, but he *had* been through some traumatic experiences recently. I just don't know what to believe, and so for now, I'm trying to remain assumption- (and spoiler-) free. Nothing I could ever guess to be true can possibly compare to what the writers inevitably have in store for us...so I won't even try.

My favorite part of Bring on the Night would have to be Dru...I love that crazy chick! And I think I love her even more when Marti is writing her dialogue. Well, Dru and that final Buffy speech...which left me wondering how I'm going to wait until January for a new episode. Hmmm...must fill time watching MSCL. That and the crazy whirlygig of holiday fun!

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 20th 2002, 11:32 am

As far as I recall, Giles had never met/seen Buffy when she came to Sunnydale.
Your right... I was having some weird flash back to the movie or something! :oops:

On a side note I have a copy of the Pilot with spanish subtitles that I picked up at a comic book store. They're funny as hell because things like "Willow, glad to see you found the softer side of Sears." don't translate very well to spanish.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Mek
Tino

Post by Mek » Dec 24th 2002, 7:57 pm

I think the Giles we're seeing is the real Giles. Why? Because he (and he alone) accompanied the 3 SiTs to Sunnydale. Why bring them to the one place on earth where they might get in the way when if the First were assuming Giles identity it could have easily led the 3 SiT to their deaths.

Minor spoiler
Over at Comic Continuum.com they have the 'official' blurb for the next episode. (I could copy & paste it but I'm sick and cranky, so go look it up yourself.) The really interesting thing is one of the pix from the next episodes shows FOUR slayers-in-training. Their names and the actresses names are also in the article.

Mek

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 25th 2002, 2:46 am

mglenn wrote:Your right... I was having some weird flash back to the movie or something! :oops:
You're not entirely wrong there, Mike. Buffy had another (presumably short-lived) Watcher in that LA flashback. This explains why she wasn't surprised by Giles and the vamps in WttHM. In any case, I think that first watcher is/was analogous to the ill-fated Donald Sutherland Watcher in the movie.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 25th 2002, 1:07 pm

Mek wrote:I think the Giles we're seeing is the real Giles. Why? Because he (and he alone) accompanied the 3 SiTs to Sunnydale. Why bring them to the one place on earth where they might get in the way when if the First were assuming Giles identity it could have easily led the 3 SiT to their deaths.

Minor spoiler
Over at Comic Continuum.com they have the 'official' blurb for the next episode. (I could copy & paste it but I'm sick and cranky, so go look it up yourself.) The really interesting thing is one of the pix from the next episodes shows FOUR slayers-in-training. Their names and the actresses names are also in the article.

Mek
Thanks dude for the info. Hope you feel better.

Lance Man

Mek
Tino

Post by Mek » Dec 25th 2002, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the "get well" Lance!

As to the watcher seen in the flashback, he is indeed intended to be a stand-in for Donald Sutherland. Joss has said in at least one interview that the series-Buffy experienced events that basically parallel the movie-Buffy, so, yes, Giles is her second Watcher.

Mek

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 25th 2002, 9:03 pm

I wondered about that... Thanks Mek! :D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 29th 2002, 1:10 am

Hey there candy-o (The cars song, one I missed before) aka Ms. Moderator, I was just surfing around some Buffy sites I had never seen before, and I noticed some writing that seemed much like yours. Do you post under a different name or two on a couple of other boards?

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 30th 2002, 10:07 am

Well my girl got me season one and two of the Buffy DVD sets (Damn this girl is good, I might have to marry her!). So my plan is to start watching them this coming weekend and see if I can sort out some of the mystery for myself.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 30th 2002, 8:29 pm

JPP13 wrote:Hey there candy-o (The cars song, one I missed before) aka Ms. Moderator, I was just surfing around some Buffy sites I had never seen before, and I noticed some writing that seemed much like yours. Do you post under a different name or two on a couple of other boards?
I used to post at the now defunct http://www.jamesmarsters.com forum, and I did post at the buffysearch forum before all the drama split the boards into the .net vs .com sites :( Are these the sites you were checking out? I am always open to new forums if you found some good ones!

:D
Buffy forums are so easy to get sucked into - once I started reading all of the intelligent theories, I was hooked.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jan 5th 2003, 11:04 pm

Hey candy.

No, I was reading http://www.buffybb.net .

And there was a site that was linked up to that called the Spike Redemptionists, or something like that.

The BuffyBB site is enjoyable. Its amazing the nuances the dedicated watcher (read geek lol) catches that I will miss. There is some real good stuff posted about deadornot Giles.

New ep this Tuesday!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 1:01 am

Thanks for the recommendation - I am always open to new Buffy sites, especially since some of the ones I used to frequent are now defunct :cry:

Man, January 7th will be awesome - Buffy S3 DVD release, new episodes of Buffy & 24, and the return of the Shield! I seriously need to get Tivo because I have forsaken Gilmore Girls and That 70s Show due to the full Tuesday night schedule. The sad thing is that I really don't watch tv the rest of the week, so I wish they could spread out some of these programs. Oh wait, I forgot - things would be REALLY different if I was a television exec.

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jan 6th 2003, 1:19 am

Oftentimes I find the more a show is hyped, the less I watch it. But the Shield is an exception. That show hooked me right away.

I really don't watch much TV either. The only 2 shows I make sure to never miss are Buffy and Simpsons. I've never seen an episode of the following : Survivor, Sopranos, Tempt Island, Friends, 24, Alias, etc. Maybe I'm missing out, lol.

Otherwise, its VH1 Classic in the background, or sports.