Your favourite episode and why!?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Bosewave
Tino

Your favourite episode and why!?

Post by Bosewave » Dec 15th 2002, 4:36 pm

Whats your favourite episode and why? I know it may be hard to choose just the one but you must be STRINGENT! I'm just curious..... :P

Post by Guest » Dec 15th 2002, 7:30 pm

a tie?? haha...i only have two real favorite episodes. but then again, i haven't seen 'halloween', 'pressure', 'betrayl', 'weekend', or 'in dreams come responsibilities' in very long time, in fact i probably have never seen some of them.

anyways. my favorites (tied) are 'the substitute' and 'why jordan can't read' ..right back to back. i love the substitute so much because it is so incredibly inspiring...every word out of vic's mouth is so true, and i love the dialogue throughout the whole ep. wjcr is so romantic and wonderful and it makes me want a boyfriend very badly. i know it's a poor excuse, but i'm sure it makes everyone feel like that. i just like the whole episode. from the beginning when angela gives the whole voiceover on love...to the end when she talks to brian about it. it touches me every time i watch it.

Post by Guest » Dec 17th 2002, 12:00 am

My favorite episode is So-Called Angels, which is the christmas episode. It's amazing to see Juliana Hatfield as an angel and performing Make it home. The ending is also truly great where they all reunites and find peace. Watching episodes like this makes me wonder how it's even possible to cancel a show like this.

blueone
Overlooked Sibling

Post by blueone » Dec 17th 2002, 12:02 am

Silly me, I forgot to login, the above post is mine.

IYBT
Tino

First Post - 'The Zit'

Post by IYBT » Dec 17th 2002, 9:05 pm

I think this is an extremely appropriate topic for my premier post.

Unfortunately I haven’t watched the episodes for a while, although I do plan to dig out my tapes and re-watch them over Christmas. My memory isn’t the best in the world, so it’s even harder to decide which of the episodes is my favourite. At the best of times it’s a hard question. MSCL episodes are like music or books, due to emotions, circumstances or other personal variables one episode may be your favourite for a while, whilst another may be your favourite before. Since seeing them, I don’t think there is one that I haven’t had a mini-obsession over.

'Halloween' was the first episode I saw; it introduced me to the series. I re-call an unusual cleverness that attracted me. Dawson’s Creek and other Teen Drama’s have never attracted me, because of the stereotypical images attached. A stereotype that, I began to realise, MSCL didn’t belong to. Due to the [rare] intelligence and depth of the characters I began watching the entire series.

'The Zit', which I wouldn’t necessarily have picked as one of my favourite, has always hit me stronger, emotionally, than some of the other episodes. Emotional reaction is the point of watching, so this one must be a favourite of mine.
When you, for the first time, see Angela pocking her newfound spot; you let out an unconscious groan at the prospect of another pimple scenario. How many comedy’s and drama’s have we watched on television where a [solitary] spot has been used for both satire on one level, and the teenage remedy of “inner beauty is what counts”; on another. This episode takes four separate viewpoints of self-image, portrays them and explains them.
Self-image is something that everyone relates to, and everyone has probably felt each of the four viewpoints explored within this episode. It is really something a teen drama really analyses and explains.

I was this close to writing about 'So-Called Angels', which has to be one of my favourites also. 'The Zit' got it, in the end.

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Dec 18th 2002, 3:42 am

got a three wya tie tie:
In dreams
Guns and Gossip
The Pilot

In dreams is a great one. the way it was shot for one thing. some of the transitions work so well. Angella talking about how she needs the fantacy "just to get through the day" is the moment iN MSCL i relate to the most.
In Dreams is a love hate thing. in one way it has the letter, and also Jordan and Angella getting back together. on the other, it leaves ya hanging so bad. the simularitys between Jordan and Gram are played out here realy well also. thats a great underlying theme BTW.
the Pilot started it all off. the fell of this one was never realy achieved in any other episode IMHO. Angela seems more closed off from the rest of the world, being confused, maybe seeing the things around her in a whole new light. of course, i could be full of crap.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 18th 2002, 10:42 am

Wow. I would have to say that my favorites are "Self-Esteem", "Life of Brian", and "In Dreams...". But, hell, I also love "WJCR"! Too difficult to narrow it down.

I think that "Self-Esteem" has some great scenes. I like the scene when Angela goes to see Buffalo Tom to be with Jordan. The part I appreciate is how Rayanne goes right up to him after Angela is rebuffed and says that great line, "You know you like her -- would it kill you to admit it, maybe treat her halfway decent? Because you know, she deserves it. And she's not gonna wait around for you forever." And of course, I love the last scene. 'Nuff said.

My sisters and I always appreciated "Life of Brian". Why? Because we love when Rickie dances! We used to imitate it all the time. Whenever we hear that song. :lol:

I am also starting to appreciate "Betrayal". That is one of the episodes that I never really saw until I got my DVDs.

"In dreams..." has some of the best acting. And I love the scenes between Brian and Jordan. And, of course I love the Letter. The very last scene between Angela and Brian is probably the best-acted scene in the entire series.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 18th 2002, 4:33 pm

Megs wrote:My sisters and I always appreciated "Life of Brian". Why? Because we love when Rickie dances! We used to imitate it all the time. Whenever we hear that song. :lol:
Yeah, before it became known for the SNL Night at the Roxbury skit.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Dec 23rd 2002, 1:19 pm

I have posted on this topic probably a hundred times over the years so I'll refrain here. :wink: I jsut wanted to say to IYBT, that was a pretty amazing post. Welcome! :)
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

IYBT
Tino

Post by IYBT » Dec 23rd 2002, 6:21 pm

K-man wrote:I have posted on this topic probably a hundred times over the years so I'll refrain here. :wink: I jsut wanted to say to IYBT, that was a pretty amazing post. Welcome! :)
Thank you. It's good to be here.

I re-watched all the episodes over the weekend and I loved it! :) The reason why this show is slow close to my heart has been reaffirmed 100%! :)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Dec 25th 2002, 3:25 am

People are really taking that "stringent' thing to heart... :P
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 25th 2002, 7:23 pm

well it is a hard question, maybe I was asking too much? :D

NatalieSB
Frozen Embryo

My faves...

Post by NatalieSB » Dec 27th 2002, 1:36 pm

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I absolutely LOVE MSCL. I was SO devastated when ABC cancelled it.

Anyways, my favourite episodes would have to be:

1) Self-Esteem. I love EVERYTHING about this eppy, Rayanne and Sharon bonding, Buffalo Tom guest starring, and the best ending EVER!

2) Life of Brian. That beautiful scene between Angela and Ricky, that amazing "up-against-the-fence" Angela and Jordan encounter.

Take care and I hope to post here often! :D
Nat

Post by Guest » Jan 6th 2003, 11:05 am

I'm new to the forum, and my account hasn't been activated yet.

I received my MSCL box set last Monday, and I finished my own little MSCL marathon last night. After watching them all back-to-back (with no commercials - yea!) my favorite has to be The Weekend.

Because, (aside from the Angela-Rayanne problem), it's the closest they all come to being fully "actualized". The whole teenage cast (and Danielle, too) relates and experiences each other without their little fears and hangups and teen-angst getting in the way. Kyle and Jordon are relegated to the periphery, where I think they really belong in the grand scheme of things.

It's the way I like to remember them (sniff!).

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 6th 2003, 1:34 pm

Hey, another Weekend fan! :D :D Welcome!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man