Canadian DVD Buyers

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
RyeSwmmr
Tino

Canadian DVD Buyers

Post by RyeSwmmr » Nov 20th 2002, 2:55 pm

I just thought I would post that the DVD's are available online through hmv.com for only $89.99 Canadian or $59.21! If I didn't feel totally violated and ripped off already I do now!

Also, I've been trying to find out how they will be marking the DVD's for duty tax. If they list them at full value we are looking at another $40-50 tax on top of what we have already paid.

If I actually thought I would get a refund I would cancel right now and place my order with HMV but I have little faith that would happen.

hollis27
Liberty High Student

Post by hollis27 » Nov 20th 2002, 3:01 pm

If I actually thought I'd get a refund, and that my mom would put her credit cards in my hands again after all this, I'd go for it to.
I'm with ya on feeling ripped off. Exclusive apparantly means available at every damn store a person could possibly think of.
Hollis-Edmonton

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 20th 2002, 4:26 pm

If you buy them from anyone who doesn't ship UPS the taxes/handling should only be under $20. UPS will undoubtably charge their exorbitant handling fee plus taxes.

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

HMV

Post by Jim » Nov 20th 2002, 4:58 pm

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone actually gets the set from HMV.com, because I was in the big HMV store in downtown Toronto today at noon, and didn't see it anywhere. (Of course, the place is open for business while undergoing extensive renovations, so finding anything is a challenge :? )

In any case, since Amazon.ca can't get the discs, I'll be surprised if anyone else here will be able to get them either.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 20th 2002, 6:11 pm

I've gotten stuff through FutureShop or A&B Sound that Amazon.ca couldn't get, so it's not impossible. I've come to the conclusion that Amazon.ca just sucks.

Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

I'm going with Deep Discount dvd

Post by Lindsay » Nov 20th 2002, 7:59 pm

I too tried the whole amazon.ca and was annoyed when they didn't email me to let me know they weren't selling the box set after all- I actually had to email and ask after I heard from here first. But now I'm going with deep discount dvd. It's under 80 canadian, and from what I've heard from everyone here is totally legit. So far, so good..... though I am just kind of waiting for the next interuption with trying to receive my box set; hopefully none! I can't wait to see the show again!!!

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 21st 2002, 7:59 pm

I decided not to do anything about my Amazon.ca order to see how long it would take them to cancel it. Imagine my surprise when they sent me a shipping notice instead! I should have the discs well before most of the AU orders to Canada arrive...

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

*sigh*

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Nov 22nd 2002, 1:53 am

you know what? i was probably better off not knowing about the hmv thing, its like..way depressing :cry:

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Nov 23rd 2002, 1:32 am

The HMV store in downtown Toronto has copies of the box set in stock for $89.99 (Cdn).

Jim

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 23rd 2002, 1:58 am

Amazon.ca has the set listed again with 24 hour availability.

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

hmmm

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Nov 23rd 2002, 11:30 am

Jim that is oh so very tempting, Toronto is just a short Go-Train ride away from me...

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

ups

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Dec 17th 2002, 8:40 pm

i just got a thing from UPS, a charge or something...does this mean that im getting the dvds and they are at customs or something?

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Re: ups

Post by Jim » Dec 18th 2002, 9:53 am

crimsonglowgurl wrote:i just got a thing from UPS, a charge or something...does this mean that im getting the dvds and they are at customs or something?
They should bring them right to your door, and collect the COD charge for taxes when they deliver the package. If there's no one home, they'll leave a yellow "delivery attempt" notice on your door, and come back tomorrow to try again, unless you contact them with alternate delivery instructions in the meantime.

I don't know what it means if you got something (in the mail?) before you got the discs. In my case, I got a copy of the invoice in the mail for the taxes I paid, but that was a couple of weeks after I got the discs and paid the COD charge. Why don't you call them up and ask them what it's about?

Jim

bdckr
Jody Barsh

Post by bdckr » Dec 18th 2002, 1:31 pm

I ordered from amazon.com and received the set 3 business days after ordering. Of course, I payed a bit more than $89.99 ($67.49 plus $5 shipping, or about $115 Cdn), and if I'd known anyone in Canada was carrying it so cheaply, I would have picked in up there (I found another Canadian site charging $150).

Happy to say that customs did not get their hands on it and charge me more.

Just out of curiosity was the set at HMV in Toronto discounted to $89.99, or was that the regular price?

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Dec 18th 2002, 3:09 pm

bdckr wrote:Just out of curiosity was the set at HMV in Toronto discounted to $89.99, or was that the regular price?
I think that was the regular price. It's still listed on HMV.com for $89.99, but it must be out of stock, because the listing says "usually ships in 14 days".

Jim