Playstation 2

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Playstation 2

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 16th 2002, 12:08 am

My brother bought himself a playstation 2 a little while ago. I bought him the "Hoosiers" DVD for his birthday (this is his only DVD), and he said that the sound is really bad. He tried it (the PS2 w/ DVD) on the other TVs at our house, but with the same outcome. (Our parents haven't bought a DVD player yet.) SOooooo.... When I came home for winter break, I brought some of my DVDs so we could try them out on the PS2 and also try Hoosiers on my computer's DVDrom.

We tried out everything, and it looks like the PS2 has bad sound capabilities. But - when my brother plays games, the sound is fine. Just when he tries the DVDs does the sounds suck (he has to turn the volume up all the way to hear anything, and then there's a prominent buzzing too when it's up that loud).

Anyone have any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else with PS2s? Thanks a million!

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 16th 2002, 12:24 pm

I'm sure theres someone else who can get far more techincal in answering this but heres the basic gist of it:

DVD's audio is recorded/written at a lower level than say VHS. This level is actually a proper level for audio when considering professional equipment. There are several reasons for this but one of the simpler reasons is what is refered to as dynamic range. I.E. quiet sounds are quiet and loud sounds are loud. The issue your having stems from the fact that the normal levels, on a DVD, are quite low when comparied to normal levels on other input sources such as VCR's. The buzz you hear is most likely from the amplifier in you tv or amp...(depends on what device you are using to output the audio, sounds like your using your tv to me) as you raise the amplification level the amp itself adds a bit of its own signel to the audio, this is the buzz you are hearing.

Now as for a solution: first consult the manual for the PS2. Check that you are set for Stereo Sound instead of DTS 5.1. Second its my understanding that once you disable the optical audio output of the PS2 you can adjust the output level of the PS2. Once again check the manual. Third make sure you have good cables hooking everything together... Now you don't need $60 monster cables or anything but cheap, flimsy or frayed cables will cause you lots of trouble... a set of high end cables from Radio Shack or local A/V store would be fine. ($6 -$15)

Third solution and the most expensive is to get yourself a good Surround Sound system with optical inputs. Then you can use the optical output on the PS2 with an amp thats balanced for the DVD levels.

Hope this helps...
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Dec 17th 2002, 12:10 am

The low audio on DVDs is normal. As for the distoriton, here's the least-technical answer you'll ever get:

Are you using those red, white and yellow cables to hook up the Playstation to the TV, or is it an adapter which one of those needle pin connectors? Sorry I don't know any of the words at all (I sometimes do, but it's late), but if it's the latter, that would explain it, because that's outdated. The red, white and yellow connectors are the norm and create for much better picture and sound.

I feel like an idiot for not knowing the words for any of these things because, believe it or not, I use to know like one or two things.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 17th 2002, 10:48 am

Are you using those red, white and yellow cables to hook up the Playstation...
Those red, white and yellow cables are known as RCA cables.
...or is it an adapter which one of those needle pin connectors
Known as an F Connector on RG-6 Cable. Wow, did I just show that I work for a cable company or what?
…because that's outdated. The red, white and yellow connectors are the norm and create for much better picture and sound.
That’s not really correct. RG-59 cable is outdated, but RG-6, which is what the cable company will use on the drop to your house as well as inside, is not outdated. And can in fact carry the signal better and further than RCA cables. The issue is that to decode the signal back out correctly and without distortion takes good equipment. So in the case of home stereo equipment it’s cheaper to use RCA connectors, because the circuit is simpler. As a side note: never, never, never use those push on F connectors ( not RCA connectors those F connectors you push on instead of screwing on), They are usually made of RG-59 and the connectors leak signal like a fire hose.

I feel like an idiot for not knowing the words...
Don't! Your post was 95% correct. Just the outdated comment needed clarified.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 17th 2002, 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm glad to know the low sound is pretty normal on PS2s. My brother was really flipping out that his PS2 was broken or something! He has it connected to the TV via the needle cords. I'm sure the buzzing sound is just the TV speakers being turned up all the way. Anyway, my brother and I are going to the mall tonight to pick up a real-life DVD player for our parents for Christmas. That should solve a few things! Thanks again. I'll let him know his machine isn't messed up.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~