Post in this thread if you got your DVDs and want to share.

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
fluxit
Tino

Post by fluxit » Dec 10th 2002, 9:05 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I kinda don't feel like opening it. The DVD definitely has "the curse" for me.
candygirl wrote:Glad you finally got your set Jason! Ironic (in the Alanis Morisette sense) that you got yours after almost everyone else.

Better late than never though, right?

:D
I felt the same way when I received mine from GroovieMovies. I only opened them up on the first day because I could hear one of the disks rattling around and wanted to make sure that it wasn't all scratched up in shipping(it had popped out of the case's 'gripper'.)

Three days later I started watching them from the fourth episode. I didn't begin with the pilot because I have 'used up' the first three episodes for a while. The magic of MSCL soon made the nominal quality of the video, and the whole mess with AU not seem so bad(even though I still *know* it is bad.)

--Lee

fluxit
Tino

Re: The Gold Standard?

Post by fluxit » Dec 10th 2002, 9:12 pm

Nostradamus wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I've got a small question about the dvds and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

Looking at my set I noticed that discs one, two, and three have the standard issue silver foil coloration on the bottom side while discs four and five have gold foil. Now, this is the first multi disc set I've owned, so perhaps it's commonplace, but I'm wondering why there are two disc colors within the same set. As far as I know there is no difference in quality between the two; it just seems odd.

:?:
My disks from GroovieMovies are all silver colored. Only three were individually shrink-wrapped though. The box was also shrink-wrapped.

--Lee

bdckr
Jody Barsh

bdckr

Post by bdckr » Dec 11th 2002, 5:18 pm

Do these disc actually have Macrovision on them? I thought MV was the reason why you can't record some discs - the picture goes real bad when you try to tape them.

I tried to record during the museum visit & it worked!
Funny, I noticed the same thing, too. I've got an old TV that only allows a cable or old antenna input. We had an RF modulator to adapt the DVD player, but it blew out in a storm a couple months ago. So when I hooked up the DVD through the VCR to make sure the disks were working, fully expecting the picture to fade in and out as expected with Macrovision, lo and behold! Perfect picture.

I wonder if they didn't bother with Macrovision or whether it was an oversight.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: bdckr

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2002, 5:39 pm

bdckr wrote:
Do these disc actually have Macrovision on them? I thought MV was the reason why you can't record some discs - the picture goes real bad when you try to tape them.

I tried to record during the museum visit & it worked!
Funny, I noticed the same thing, too. I've got an old TV that only allows a cable or old antenna input. We had an RF modulator to adapt the DVD player, but it blew out in a storm a couple months ago. So when I hooked up the DVD through the VCR to make sure the disks were working, fully expecting the picture to fade in and out as expected with Macrovision, lo and behold! Perfect picture.

I wonder if they didn't bother with Macrovision or whether it was an oversight.
I would think they just didnt bother with them. There are actually a surprisingly large number of nonHollywood hits on DVD with no macrovision. And a large number of anime discs are macro free.

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Dec 11th 2002, 6:03 pm

Hey there - don't shoot me if this has come up before - this thread is so long, I didn't really wanna dig all the way through it...

Has anyone besides me had this problem: The sound gets off track with the picture?? You know, like in horribly dubbed movies, the persons mouth moves WAY before or after you hear the dialogue?? I've had this happen in the last three discs - but I find that if I rewind a bit or fast forward, it gets back on tarck. It'll happen later on though, and I have to address it again. Or is this a problem with my dvd player?? Truthfully, I REALLY hope that's the case.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Dec 11th 2002, 6:20 pm

Update: I DID look over in the DVD forum, and while I saw mention there of the same prob (NOT good news!!) it got kinda techie, and my eyes started to glaze (I'm not a techie, sorry! :wink: ) and I couldn't really discern if the problem I'm having is a. My dvd player, or b. the disks...but upon reflection, if other folks ARE experiencing the same thing, I guess it's not my player. Right? A combo of the two?? Hmmm. Does anyone know if maybe it's just 'some' disks and not all - as in, can I send these back to Amazon and get others that might not have this prob, or....am I kinda screwed?
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 8:10 pm

People complained about the sound problem earlier in this thread (I know, it's six pages long now so you might not have seen the posts about the sound).

There were some speculations as to why this occurred in the DVD forum:
Some thoughts about the DVD sound
Audio sync/echo?
audio out of synch with video

The problem is not just some of the discs - it seems that discs 2-5 have an echo (sort of like they were all in a tiled shower when they were talking) and certain episodes, such as Other People's Mothers are not synched correctly.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Dec 11th 2002, 11:04 pm

candygirl wrote:People complained about the sound problem earlier in this thread (I know, it's six pages long now so you might not have seen the posts about the sound).

There were some speculations as to why this occurred in the DVD forum:
Some thoughts about the DVD sound
Audio sync/echo?
audio out of synch with video

The problem is not just some of the discs - it seems that discs 2-5 have an echo (sort of like they were all in a tiled shower when they were talking) and certain episodes, such as Other People's Mothers are not synched correctly.
Here's the Executive Summary:

The 5.1 surround sountrack is screwed up. It is the result of sloppy authoring/mastering of the discs and thus present on all copies. The only solution is to use the alternate stereo sountrack instead of the 5.1 track. Remember, the show was made with only a stereo track, so you're not losing anything by avoiding the 5.1 track. This new 5.1 track is there just as a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Dec 12th 2002, 10:14 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I just got my DVDs today from BMG.

Thankfully, Ross Rojek did not kill Christmas in this household, so I will be watching it on a brandy new TV. I will keep an eye out for the artifacts and other reported problems. This TV is seriously like 1,000 times bigger than the last one. Projection and HDTV, although my cable company does not offer HDTV converters yet. :evil:

Hope I am not in for a rude awakening when I view on this screen, although many seem to be satisfied with the quality.
I can't wait for this...

Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? If you got a wild-ass HDTV, you'll love the progressive! On good DVD's that is. ;)

db

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Dec 12th 2002, 10:32 pm

I made the mistake of putting the DVDs in after watching I Am Sam on DVD. Definitely no comparison between MSCL and I Am Sam, but the latter is of a recent movie.

I played it in normal mode, so I had the gray bars on either side of the screen. When I stretched it to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, either everyone looked really fat, or if I used the wide zoom, it did seem to magnify the moire pattern around the edges.

However, so far, I am not having any audio delay problems, and I am playing the 5.1 soundtrack. I only see the bar across the screen if I use a mode on the TV called "vivid" or something like that. At what seems to be normal brightness, I can barely make it out.

I will make some time in the next week to go through all of the discs. So far, I can say that the image has more jaggies than on the small screen, but that is most likely because it is so many times larger.
DoubleBilled wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I just got my DVDs today from BMG.

Thankfully, Ross Rojek did not kill Christmas in this household, so I will be watching it on a brandy new TV. I will keep an eye out for the artifacts and other reported problems. This TV is seriously like 1,000 times bigger than the last one. Projection and HDTV, although my cable company does not offer HDTV converters yet. :evil:

Hope I am not in for a rude awakening when I view on this screen, although many seem to be satisfied with the quality.
I can't wait for this...

Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? If you got a wild-ass HDTV, you'll love the progressive! On good DVD's that is. ;)

db

andreinmontreal
Frozen Embryo

There is still hope!!!!

Post by andreinmontreal » Dec 13th 2002, 12:25 pm

On Wednesday the 11th of December I called Mastercard to inquire about getting a possible refund. They told me I would have to write a letter to them etc... Later that day I recieved an email with a tracking number. I could not believe it I called UPS to hold the package because they were trying to deliver it to my old address. I went and picked it up myself at UPS. I still can"t believe that I have it. Just for reference I live in Montreal Canada. So for everyone still waiting there is still some hope.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Welcome

Post by lance » Dec 13th 2002, 10:41 pm

DVDOwner,

Thanks for posting. I am glad that you got your DVDs. Welcome to the Community. Kick back and enjoy :D

Lance Man

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Dec 14th 2002, 4:52 am

The wheels are OFF!

db

Bubbawheat
Tino

Post by Bubbawheat » Jan 11th 2003, 5:58 pm

yay! I got my DVDs in the mail yesterday. I had all but given up hope. They were sent to the wrong address in the first wave, and I sent several e-mails/voicemails telling them about it in as nice of words as I could manage. And then out of the blue, yesterday they just showed up at my door. yay, that's all I have to say. yay!