Angela Is the Bicycle Thief

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Summoned
Tino

Angela Is the Bicycle Thief

Post by Summoned » Dec 12th 2002, 8:51 am

Was anyone else struck by the irony that after Jordan failed to show up to meet Angela's parents so she could take him to The Bicycle Thief that when he does finally show up and meet Graham -- in "Pressure" -- Angela subsequently steals Brian's bicycle to go meet him?

Oh, and hi everyone.
Daydreaming days in a daydream nation

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 12th 2002, 10:25 am

No, I didn't. But that's an excellent observation! :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 13th 2002, 6:00 pm

As a film school grad, I can say that there are certain films that are... forced upon you when you study film.

You have to watch Citizen Kane. You really should watch Umberto D. You must watch La Strada.

I'll admit I enjoyed only one of the three I mentioned, the other two were... okay, but I'll probably never go out of my way to watch them again. They just didn't appeal to me.

The Bicycle Thief is another one of the standard Film School History class favorites that the profs like to use, and for good reason. It's a good film, and tells a lot about the Italian Neo-Realist era of film, but I never connected with it. It's a tough film to take on.

So when Angela said she was taking him to see that film, even I said to myself "Jordan! RUN!", wondering how he would take to the line "There's a cure for everything except death". But I still felt bad when he never showed.

But I like a little irony and when I connected BT with Angela swiping the bicycle, I got a chuckle out of it. Not just because she took it, but it showed how many layers both the show and the character has (they could have taken it one step father and had a poster of Gilda, seen in BT, on her bedroom wall).

Bravo on the observation, and my apologies for the rambling.

Gary

p.s. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Dec 18th 2002, 3:52 am

thats pretty cool. funny how she leaves it there, and then takes it again after Jordan brings it back.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"