The Letter.

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Megs
Lifehead

The Letter.

Post by Megs » Dec 12th 2002, 3:29 pm

I always wondered why Jordan signs his full name at the end of The Letter (it's a great letter, ok? It needs to be capitalized. :wink: )

It's an intimate letter, albeit which he didn't write, but when he copied it into his own writing, why didn't he just sign it "Jordan"? Did he think that Angela would not know who wrote it if he didn't sign his full name? It just seems odd to me, even though they always refer to him by his full name, that when writing such a letter, he would sign his full name... Is anyone with me on this one?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 4:06 pm

I think in a more general sense, it shows that despite the physical intimacy he and Angela had, they don't really know each other. He is still "Jordan Catalano" to her, which is how she refers to him in almost every conversation (with Rayanne, Rickie, Sharon, her parents). Interestingly, most of the characters refer to him by his whole name too - Brian, Sharon, etc. Patty refers to him by his first name ("this Jordan"), while Rayanne sometimes refers to him by his last name ("hey Catalano!").

I have to say that no matter how intimate or distant someone REALLY is, it seems weird to sign your first AND last name when it isn't a business letter.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Dec 13th 2002, 12:00 pm

i completely agree w/ you candygirl. angela never really knew jordan and vice versa...i think that's why she always used the last name. it wouldn't be right for her to call him jordan when they ddin't know much about each other.

RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

Post by RyeBlume » Dec 14th 2002, 8:12 pm

The scene with Bryan sitting in the deserted hallway writing the Letter on the back of a poster is so incredibly powerful. We get to hear the contents of the letter through Bryan's voiceover and at the end of the scene (and the Letter) we hear... "sincerely, Jordan Catalano." I dunno, I think that last line sounds a little more powerful with the first and last name. If you think about the contents of the scene and then hear Bryan say, "sincerely, Jordan" it doesn't have QUITE the same ring to it. I could be making stuff up here but maybe that's why the writers of the show decided to have him sign the first and last name... for dramatic emphasis.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 16th 2003, 11:29 am

I love bumping these old posts. I agree with you, RyeBlume. Jordan Catalano does have a more dramatic and declaratory ring to it than simply Jordan. The letter is a declaration of love, not simply a letter of endearment. Brian uses Jordan's first and last names because the letter demands them both.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Post by Guest » Feb 17th 2003, 12:35 am

When I was younger, I signed my dad's birthday card with my first AND last name. What a dumbass I am. I mean, we're family.... we have the SAME last name.

Everyone is referred by their last name in the show- I really like that. Even the adults do it, which is very strange, but cool.

why me

Post by Guest » Feb 17th 2003, 12:50 am

:shock: Usually I am just logged in immediatley here, but for some reason, I now have to do it myself again, which of course wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I can't remember my password and the new one I was given WON'T work!!! AHGH!!!

This is Lindsay by the way.... that was also I above.

:cry: please help....

Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Lindsay » Feb 17th 2003, 1:02 am

:oops: I fixed it. sorry everyone.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 17th 2003, 1:02 am

We call people by our last names at work a lot. I guess it is kind of thing we do. Some of our last names are very distinctive.

I first thought it was strange that Brian signed the letter "Jordan Catalano." But, when I read Rye's post, I could see why he did it that way instead of just "Jordan."

Of course, you could say that Brian signed the last name to try to tip Angela off that Jordan didn't really write the letter. Why would someone sign a last name to a love letter? Most people don't. I wouldn't put it past Brian to think doing so would be a way of giving Angela a subtle hint.

I'm amazed that Angela actually believes that Jordan wrote the letter. I mean, the guy can't read. No offense intended against Jordan. How could he write such a letter? I guess Angela just wants to believe he could write such a letter.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Post by Guest » Feb 21st 2003, 8:45 pm

i think part of the reason he wrote jordan catalano at the end was because that's what everyone called him during the show. by everyone i mean mostly angela, rayanne, brian, rickie, etc....i remember one of the topics on here was about last names. most people referred to others on the show by both the first and last name. that's probably why the letter was signed jordan catalano...so they could keep the flow going, IHOP.

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Mar 22nd 2003, 8:09 am

i agree that it was for dramatic emphasis. it has this real oomph to it when it's signed not just "Jordan," but "Jordan Catalano." Added to that the fact that it's Brian narrating and saying his full name. EXTRA OUCH.
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 24th 2003, 8:59 pm

Or maybe Brian wanted to give a subtle tip off to Angela that Jordan didn't write the letter...
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

brewer
Tino

Post by brewer » Apr 6th 2003, 4:33 pm

First of all, please excuse my english, because it is not perfect, but I hope I won't make many grammatical errors.

I agree with the idea that Brian signed the letter "Jordan Catalano" to give Angela a subtle hint that Jordan didn't wrote the letter. Then, again why Jordan hasn't excluded when he copied it. I think that Jordan is simply a person who doesn't like to think much, I mean, he's not stupid or something like that, he simply doesn't like to think too much, so when he copied the letter in his own writing, I think that he didn't noticed Brian's hint and simply copied the letter automatically.
"I'd really rather not talk about my music. If the music doesn't speak for itself, no words can help it."
John Coltrane (1926-1967)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 6th 2003, 10:51 pm

I think Brian signs the letter Jordon Catillano because in his internal monolog, Jordon is always "Jordon Catillano". It's interesting that Brian writes Jordon's name at all. Perhaps it is a way to remind himself that he is writing it for someone else. Also, I have to admit that it just sounds better.

Beyond that, just signing your full name has added significance. Signing only "Jordon" implies a closeness between people, or a mutual friendship. Jordon no longer has a right to claim that, and I think he realises that. Also, by signing his full name he is offering himself completely to her. As to say I mean this with all that I am. And finally, it seems to have added weight to the fact that he is serious about it what he claims to have written.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

MarsJunkie
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MarsJunkie » Nov 1st 2003, 1:07 pm

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I agree with everything Nothingman
said in the last post. I think Brian felt like he needed to tell himself, more than anything else, that he was doing this for and through Jordan. I also agree that Jordan no longer had the right to just sign with "Jordan" after what happened between himself and Rayanne. He needed to have Angela's friendship before he could express such powerful emotions (even though HE wasn't actually the one to express them).
"He flopped on the floor uncontrollably, okay? Rickie had to hold down his tounge..."
"...And I wasn't even there!"