school

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 12:46 am

He does have a big red backpack in the Pilot - you can see it at the beginning of the episode when Angela is looking out the window and she sees Rayanne and Rickie running (you can also see this scene in the credits).

One of the few times I really noticed Rickie with any books (in Why Jordan Can't Read), he opens his locker and starts taking out books while Angela is complaining about Jordan flakin the night before. Rickie piles on a notebook, a planner, and some books (one of which has a title that ends in "edia" - media? encyclopedia?), which is interesting since we never see him with books in class. When Jordan comes down the hall, Angela and Rayanne walk away. Rickie slams his locker shut as Jordan starts talking to him. Now maybe it's nerves, but for some reason, Rickie holds his books in one hand and starts dialing the combination to his locker with the other.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Re: classes! ah!

Post by katy » Dec 12th 2002, 4:05 pm

candygirl wrote:Miss Mayhew - the original English teacher and yearbook advisor mysteriously disappeared after the Pilot (in Father Figures, Angela says, "I think she quit.")

Mr. Rinaldi (the Spanish teacher) - in Father Figures, the students tell Miss Krzyzanowski that the last time Mr. Rinaldi "taught" the class, he showed the movie "Alive." In the Zit, Brian says, "half the time, [Rinaldi] never shows up."

Miss Krzyzanowski (the counselor) - in Father Figures, she has Angela and Jordan diagram each other's sentences :wink:

Vic Racine - duh, in the Substitute

[in Why Jordan Can't Read, we see Jordan and Angela, presumably in English class, but I don't remember seeing a teacher in the classroom]

Miss Lerner (the geometry teacher) - in Strangers in the House she is giving the students a quiz, in Halloween she is dressed as Obi Wan
:shock:

Mr. Katimski begins his career at Liberty High in Self Esteem
Just a few notes to add to your list (as well as commentary on the class confusion):

As far as I can guess, the teacher reading from "The Metamorphosis" in The Zit is Mr. Rinaldi. And then Ms. Lerner takes over the English class as of Why Jordan Can't Read. She is on the field trip with them, and it would make the most sense, given that Sharon, Brian, Angela, and Jordan are all on the trip, that it was an English field trip (since this is the only class they are known to have all together).

Now Rickie is also on the field trip, but we later see that while he isn't in class with Angela and co., he is in Mr. Katimsky's class...and by extension Ms. Lerner's second English class (she took over two as you can see by the quote below). Rayanne is also on the trip, also not in class with Angela and co. (in The Substitute, Angela says "Rayanne, you're not in this class."), but Rickie states that they are in the same English class (in Self-Esteem, Rickie threatens to transfer out of Katimsky's class, and Rayanne says "No, don't. Then we won't be in the same English class."). Thus definitively solving any confusion about who has English with whom, and also explaining how the field trip could be based on English classes.

Ms. Lerner presumably remains the English "sub" until Katimsky arrives in Self-Esteem. When we first see Katimsky, he is talking to Ms. Lerner, and he says "So you had to take over two English classes even though you're a math teacher? Gee, whiz."

Also, Brian is taking yearbook with Sharon. Is that an extra-curricular, or is that another class? 'Cause if it's a class, then that brings his total up to 9... calculus, English, social studies, biology, band, computer, "foreign language", PE, and yearbook. I would guess that the classes he is not taking are: PE and computer, since we never saw him in PE and he may have just been hanging out in the computer room during lunch or some other free time (perhaps typing up a paper for another class). Taking these two out leaves 7, which is a perfectly reasonable number. (Sharon is also taking 7 if you include yearbook...english, bio, geometry, french, PE, band, and yearbook.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 4:47 pm

In Father Figures, Rayanne says, "I gotta go to Home Ec," which totally cracks me up. First of all, Rayanne, of all people, is the first to leave the girls bathroom - when the bell rings, no less. Secondly, she is taking Home Ec? Most schools don't even have that class anymore, and I love picturing Rayanne trying to sew and cook (especially after her dazzling fritter prepartion in the same episode).

:D

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: school

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 13th 2003, 5:56 am

We see that Angela, Brian, and Rayanne have social studies together in Guns & Gossip, but when Rickie claims he was in English class (when the gun went off) Rayanne says, "What do you mean you were in English? You were supposed to be in social studies." Later in the same episode, Rickie is shown in Mr. Dmitri's social studies class with Angela, Brian, and Rayanne.
In the pilot, we see Sharon sitting behind Brian (presumably in Mr. Rinaldi's social studies class) when he explains, "Because the League of Nations failed," but we don't see her in social studies with them in Guns and Gossip.

:?

Post by Guest » Jan 13th 2003, 12:34 pm

We do know that there are at least two levels of English. In the Zit, Jordon asks Brian to explain to him the Metamorphisis because he has to write a paper on it or else they will put him back in remedial and he's just like not in the mood.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 13th 2003, 12:53 pm

About Brian being allowed to take so many classes:

In Life of Brian, he tells Delia that he carries a triple minor. She responds that she wasn't aware that you could do that. Brian said that they bent the rules for him. So it is possible that he stays after school, or takes more classes than other students in order to complete the requirements for the triple minor.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 13th 2003, 8:20 pm

Finally, the sociology vs. social studies debate comes to an end! (although to be fair, I was probably the only one who mistakenly thought that Angela, Rickie, et al were taking sociology)

During the yearbook meeting in the Pilot, you can see one of Angela's books is labeled "social studies."

I was wrong to assume - because, like the teachers always say, that just makes an ass out of u and me!

:oops:

Post by Guest » Jan 30th 2003, 6:36 am

"We see that Rayanne and Angela have PE together in Guns & Gossip (where we also see that Jordan has PE the same period) and Betrayal. We see Angela and Sharon in the locker room in the Zit. But then we see that Rayanne and Sharon have PE together in Resolutions. " - Candygirl

I think the show just features who is talking to who , not whos in gym . Also Rayanne regularly skips classes

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 30th 2003, 2:52 pm

In Guns & Gossip, both Angela and Rayanne are dressed for gym class and standing in the gym together. Although Rayanne later attends Angela's English class to see Vic, I can't imagine she would normally go to classes that she wasn't going to get credit for so I assume that she does actually have gym with Angela. We also see them in gym class together in Betrayal - Angela switches places with the girl in front of her so that she won't be paired with Rayanne for the vault. In Resolutions, we see Rayanne doing situps with Sharon - again, I don't think Rayanne cuts her real classes to show up in random other classes. I think that aside from attending Vic's class, Rayanne cuts class to avoid going to class.

Although there are a few questions about continuity, I think that BF is intelligent enough that they didn't just throw some people in a classroom for the sake of having a conversation and then completely change who was in the same class a few episodes later for their own convenience - after all, that's what the hallway is for.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 30th 2003, 2:56 pm

Hey, candygirl,

What would really be OCD of you would be to check out the other students in the classes, and see how they change from episode to episode.

:wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:35 pm

candygirl - brian does take computer as a class - it's the one he's supposed to be in when he's helping angela hand out the liberty lit.

about gym classes, i assume that angela and rayanne and sharon all have gym the same period, but that sometimes the class is split up differently, OR, it could be the kind of school in which certain classes change in th esecond semester, like, say, gym, art, home ec, computer. in my school, those classes were every other day, or once a week, or only for part of the year.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 7th 2003, 12:27 am

candygirl wrote:In Father Figures, Rayanne says, "I gotta go to Home Ec," which totally cracks me up. First of all, Rayanne, of all people, is the first to leave the girls bathroom - when the bell rings, no less. Secondly, she is taking Home Ec? Most schools don't even have that class anymore, and I love picturing Rayanne trying to sew and cook (especially after her dazzling fritter prepartion in the same episode).

Schools should have Home Ec classes. There has been such an over-focus on tests and preparing for tests. Our educational system in the US has gone insane. Children need well rounded educations. Cramming to pass numerous tests isn't education.

Anyway, not all guys can cook like Graham. Some women will need to know how to cook, too. And, yes, I took Home Ec in junior high. I still don't know how to cook that well, though. I don't practice enough. And, sticking stuff in the microwave is just too easy.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2003, 2:09 am

I agree that more school should offer home ec and other practical classes. Heh, amend "offer" to "require" since most college bound kids wouldn't opt to take a class that doesn't offer them AP credit - people need to know basic things like how to change a tire, how to sew on a button (and what to do to prevent the thread from unraveling again), how to unclog the sink, how to make basic meals, how to iron a dress shirt properly, etc.

I totally understand why learning the three R's are important, I do, but kids need to learn the day to day basics too.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 7th 2003, 2:27 pm

When I took Driver's Ed, I don't remember learning how to put gas in the car, how to drive a stick-shift, how to change a tire, and how to start the car. It was a three week summer course. I guess the teachers just assumed the parents would teach that stuff!

When I was in high school, I didn't have a lot of time to take extra classes like home ec. I knew I was going to study music when I got to college, so that means I had to take a bunch of music stuff as well (I was in three ensembles and I had music theory). That ate up pretty much all of my free hours, because I still had to take math, history, science, etc.

I feel I could have benefitted from a cooking class. There is a famous incident among my friends where I messed up a frozen pizza. I pre-heated the oven, took the pizza out of the box and plastic, put it on a cookie sheet, and stuck it in. Sounds fine, right? Well, when I took it out, it was all soft and gooey. Turns out that I didn't remove the cardboard from the underside of the pizza. My dad fried it up later and ate it himself. How inept in the kitchen can you be? :lol:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 7th 2003, 4:27 pm

Kristin wrote:When I took Driver's Ed, I don't remember learning how to put gas in the car, how to drive a stick-shift, how to change a tire, and how to start the car. It was a three week summer course. I guess the teachers just assumed the parents would teach that stuff!

When I was in high school, I didn't have a lot of time to take extra classes like home ec. I knew I was going to study music when I got to college, so that means I had to take a bunch of music stuff as well (I was in three ensembles and I had music theory). That ate up pretty much all of my free hours, because I still had to take math, history, science, etc.

I feel I could have benefitted from a cooking class. There is a famous incident among my friends where I messed up a frozen pizza. I pre-heated the oven, took the pizza out of the box and plastic, put it on a cookie sheet, and stuck it in. Sounds fine, right? Well, when I took it out, it was all soft and gooey. Turns out that I didn't remove the cardboard from the underside of the pizza. My dad fried it up later and ate it himself. How inept in the kitchen can you be? :lol:

That's a great story. Here's a popular "Little Tom" story you'd hear around my family's dinner table. I don't remember the actual events, but the story has been drilled into my brain.

I was about 5 years old. Because my mom worked the nigth shift as a nurse, I often made my breakfast before school. Usually, I made cereal, toast, and other things that required little or no preparation. Well, one day, I decided I'd make Cream of Wheat. I liked it a lot. So, I got a pot, put in some Crem of Wheat, and added some water. Because I liked it sweet, I added some sugar. I mixed the ingrediants together. Then, I poured some into a bowl and started to eat.

Well, one of my sisters, who was a few years older than me, walked into the kitchen. You can imagine what she said. "Tom," she said, "You've got to heat that stuff up."

I will never live down that story. Unfortunately, it's one of many.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/