I love that oh so subtle scene...

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

I love that oh so subtle scene...

Post by just-likeKrakow » Jun 6th 2002, 8:51 am

THis has probably been discussed before but i am pretty new to this forum so will bring it up...

There are alot of great subtle scenes through out MSCL. Right now...i only possess the DVD with the first three episodes so that is what i will comment on. There are so many others...let's hear about some of the great subtle scenes.

i really like that scene at the end of Guns and Gossip when Angela is walking up to the school and sees Brian. Instead of talking she just gives him a nod, almost a nod of acceptance and Brian grins...glancing at her a couple of times just to make sure, or something. Then Brian notices Rickie walking up behind him and Rickie gives him a similar nod, making Brian grin even bigger. Seeing this interaction, Angela then smiles. i kinda figured that it made her happy to see her two worlds of friends coming together and getting along. IT's this scene that really changes things for Brian, i think. He has almost proven himself in this episode and it's only after this that he begins to really talk and bond with Rickie...he becomes more a fixture in a social circle. Keep in mind...Brian's still not a major part of it...but it's a beginning.
It's subtle but it's wonderful.

"There´s something about my life. It´s just automatically true that nothing actually happens."

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Re: I love that oh so subtle scene...

Post by KrokRos » Jun 6th 2002, 3:58 pm

I think the smiles are about their secret. The secret of what really happened. And that Brian was loyal. It later shows that Rickie and Brian becomes pretty good friends if I remember correctly. I also have the first DVD. Waiting for the box set. :)

/KrokRos first entry with a userID

just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by just-likeKrakow » Jun 11th 2002, 8:40 am

Oh...There's got to be other scenes that people really like...out there. isn't there? ;)

"She asked me if I could come over tonight and explain congruent triangles to her."

alicia
Nicky Driscoll

Post by alicia » Jun 11th 2002, 10:36 am

I can't remember what episode this is in, but I love the scene when Jordan and Brian are in the library and Jordan shows Brian how easy it is to get a girls phone number. It was really funny to see Brian and Jordan, two completly different characters getting on so well. It was also interesting to see Angelas reaction to this, when she comes in and finds them laughing together. Maybe I just love this scene 'cos of Jordans cool arrogance, but whatever, i thiink its fab. xx

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 11th 2002, 12:43 pm

Alicia,
I also love this scene. I made a post concerning it a while back. I love the entire scene beginning with Brian and Sharon in the hallway as Brian tries to convince Sharon to tutor Jordan as he says he doesn't respect Jordan. Then, Kyle walks by and hands Sharon the teddy bear and the conversation falls apart from there. Then we cut to the study hall and Jordan and Brian's exchange is beautiful. I laugh so hard when I re-watch that. Hilarious! By the way I think that was from ep#16 "Resolutions".

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens. K-man

the nods...

Post by Guest » Dec 9th 2002, 5:35 pm

i think....angela's nod was kind of showing that everything was ok and over with. and her smile was her being relieved about everything. because then you cut into the scene inside w/ the gun check things (haha sorry im not good w/ words) and that's why they did it. to show everything being ok...to it all being changed.

the show is so well crafted.

this episode is great though because of simple things...like how it had rained practically throughout the whole episode and on the day that everything is over w/, the rain finally stopped. little things like that are important to include, and mscl did that well.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: the nods...

Post by fnordboy » Dec 9th 2002, 6:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:this episode is great though because of simple things...like how it had rained practically throughout the whole episode and on the day that everything is over w/, the rain finally stopped. little things like that are important to include, and mscl did that well.
Not to totally disagree with you, but sometimes things like that get on my nerves. Its like they feel the need to overkill an idea into your head. Like you aren't "getting it". Of course, IMHO.

Not saying that is completely how i feel about this episode but in general. I never really overly felt that way with MSCL.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 9th 2002, 7:00 pm

My favorite subtle scene is in Why Jordan Can't Read, I believe. It is the scene after Jordan drops her off and gives her their "one amazing" kiss. She gets out of the car, and that great music plays (Thanks, Snuffy!) and she does a little happy dance up the front walk, on the front porch, and into the house. Makes me smile so big for Angela. :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

Post by glitter_punk » Dec 9th 2002, 8:41 pm

I love that scene too Megs... the "one amazing kiss." It just makes me remember when I was a teenager, and you got that kiss from a boy you REALLY liked... it just really touched me, the perfect moment, and I love the dialogue about the snow, lol.
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 9th 2002, 9:24 pm

just-likeKrakow wrote:i really like that scene at the end of Guns and Gossip when Angela is walking up to the school and sees Brian. Instead of talking she just gives him a nod, almost a nod of acceptance and Brian grins...glancing at her a couple of times just to make sure, or something. Then Brian notices Rickie walking up behind him and Rickie gives him a similar nod, making Brian grin even bigger. Seeing this interaction, Angela then smiles. i kinda figured that it made her happy to see her two worlds of friends coming together and getting along. IT's this scene that really changes things for Brian, i think. He has almost proven himself in this episode and it's only after this that he begins to really talk and bond with Rickie...he becomes more a fixture in a social circle. Keep in mind...Brian's still not a major part of it...but it's a beginning.
It's subtle but it's wonderful.
I think that they are smiling to acknowledge that they are all in this together - part of the same karass.

:D

Previously (in Dancing in the Dark), Angela said, "What I like, dread, is when people who know you in completely different ways end up in the same area. And you have to develop, this like, combination you, on the spot." At that point she was trying to keep her old life (Sharon and Brian) separate from her new life (Rayanne and Rickie). Just one episode later when the above scene happens in Guns & Gossip, I think that Angela has seen for the first time that it is possible to integrate her circle of friends and that they can benefit from each other, that her friends are complementary.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

flyingbunneee

Post by flyingbunneee » Dec 11th 2002, 6:00 pm

i actually love/hate this scene
in guns and gossip, when they're at brians house and angela and jordan are in his car. she's talking and he tries to kiss her and she gets mad about it and later he tries to kiss her again and she does the same thing. i always want to punch her and tell her to kiss him because she likes him so much.