Recurring lines

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Lolita
Tino

Recurring lines

Post by Lolita » Jan 2nd 2000, 5:26 pm

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that there's always a reoccuring line in several episodes of MSCL? There's always a line that's said by someone thats repeated later, usually by someone else, like... (I forget the episode), "whatever happens happens" (said by Angela and Jordan) or "I love sex in/on a different bed" (said by Rayanne and Gram I think)..... Anyone else noticed...?

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Reoccuring lines

Post by ataris » Jan 2nd 2000, 9:11 pm

Yeah I did notice that, and it's what makes MSCL such a great show. No mader how many times I watch it I always find something that I didn't notice before. that's what keeps me watching mscl over and over again. it's such a great show.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 3rd 2000, 12:12 am

most shows don't remember the small stuff, but the writers of MSCL remembered everything. not only are there reoccuring lines, but themes as well. Patty mentions princess Di 2 or 3 times. mustard also seems to come up a couple of times. one of my favorite repeated lines is: "why are you like this?" "like what?" "like how you are" (Jordan,Angela/Angela, Jordan).

just another little touch that adds to the realness of it all. ;)

emmie

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jul 11th 2001, 3:27 pm

That is definitely the best repeated quote I think.....and I like the "duh squared" between Sharon and Ryanne!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Jul 12th 2001, 11:29 am

Hey guys,

My favorite reoccurring line is "In my humble opinion..."

(Patty, Angela, Rickie)

Love that one!!! I catch myself saying it sometimes!

;-)

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

chosephine
Jody Barsh

Post by chosephine » Jan 11th 2002, 4:03 pm

That was always my favorite line, too. In fact, a long time ago I wrote a rather ridiculous little poem about MSCL that I titled "In My Humble Opinion..." (Thank god I don't attempt to write things like that anymore- it was really bad.)

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 11th 2002, 8:04 pm

Nope, having just had a marathon MSCL session (and having listened to Patrick's cd's) I have changed my mind on the favourite repeated line. My favourite is now from the Life Of Brian (?) World Happiness Dance.....

Jordan first says that 'whatever happens happens' and Angela falls even more in love with him because he has a 'philosophy' about going somewhere, then Graham states the same quote (to Patty?) followed later by Brian telling Angela at the dance 'whatever happens happens'....to which Angela replies 'that's the stoopidist [ok stupidist] thing I've ever heard in my life!'....it was, of course, not stupid when Jordan said it!!!!

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 8:58 am

I, too, just had a marathon session of my tapes, Joanna, and the "Whatever happens happens" line just proves how words can have such different meaning in different contexts. It's especially amusing to me how Angela adores the words when they come out of Jordan's mouth but has utter disdain when Brian says the same words.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 13th 2002, 4:41 pm

Definitely --- poor old Brain!! Good to see new discussions popping up by the way - so thanks for that....I couldn't belive it when I saw how many new postings there were and I have had fun reading them!!!!

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 7:11 pm

I'm glad you are enjoying my postings, Joana. It's been great to discover this board and spend time reading through each of the pages here. I really think I'm going to like it here.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Recurring lines

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 26th 2002, 6:18 am

What I love about "in my humble opinion" is how everyone uses it on the internet now as IMHO. I like to credit Angela for impacting the world wide web in her own little way =) Let me live with the delusion, please.

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » May 20th 2003, 8:13 pm

Joanna wrote:Jordan first says that 'whatever happens happens' and Angela falls even more in love with him because he has a 'philosophy' about going somewhere, then Graham states the same quote (to Patty?) followed later by Brian telling Angela at the dance 'whatever happens happens'....to which Angela replies 'that's the stoopidist [ok stupidist] thing I've ever heard in my life!'....it was, of course, not stupid when Jordan said it!!!!

I think that was a front, I don't think she really 'respected' that or that she really thought that that was cool or whatever, I think that she said that just because she was talking to Jordan, I think she was very dissapointed about that, and I think since she is comfortable enough with Brian that she can just say whatever to him, around him, or about him. And when he says it she remembers how she feels/felt about what Jordan said and her dissapointment, and because of her whole feelings with Jordan and that he didn't want to take her to the dance and it was like the straw that broke the camels back or something so shes like "THATS SO STUPID!" basically because of her dissapointment, man I'm having problems putting this stuff into words what I'm trying to express here. So I give up! Hopefully some of you can decipher my attempted meaning here, because I'm sure not having any luck expressing it, but I know what I mean and I had a point dammit! I just lost it somewhere along the way between thinking it and saying it.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » May 21st 2003, 1:08 am

realized another one....
when Patty and Angela are talking about the "dryer incident" in weekend, and angela says that was so long ago i cant believe you are even still talking about that, and then later at the bed and breakfast Neil says the same thing to Graham after he brings up the fact that Neil wrecked his car in the past or something.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

Post by Guest » May 21st 2003, 1:42 am

lithiumkat wrote:
Joanna wrote:Jordan first says that 'whatever happens happens' and Angela falls even more in love with him because he has a 'philosophy' about going somewhere, then Graham states the same quote (to Patty?) followed later by Brian telling Angela at the dance 'whatever happens happens'....to which Angela replies 'that's the stoopidist [ok stupidist] thing I've ever heard in my life!'....it was, of course, not stupid when Jordan said it!!!!

I think that was a front, I don't think she really 'respected' that or that she really thought that that was cool or whatever, I think that she said that just because she was talking to Jordan, I think she was very dissapointed about that, and I think since she is comfortable enough with Brian that she can just say whatever to him, around him, or about him. And when he says it she remembers how she feels/felt about what Jordan said and her dissapointment, and because of her whole feelings with Jordan and that he didn't want to take her to the dance and it was like the straw that broke the camels back or something so shes like "THATS SO STUPID!" basically because of her dissapointment, man I'm having problems putting this stuff into words what I'm trying to express here. So I give up! Hopefully some of you can decipher my attempted meaning here, because I'm sure not having any luck expressing it, but I know what I mean and I had a point dammit! I just lost it somewhere along the way between thinking it and saying it.
I totally know what you mean.Of course she doesn't respect his "whatever happens,happens" philosophy(which is totally bogus IMHO,yeah right he doesn't make plans, he knows he's totally blown it in WJCR so he is trying to mask by selling a stupid cliche as a philosophy)
But of course,Angelika is so into him that she doesn't care what he says,as long as he has those big blue eyes and silky(greasy) hair :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2003, 1:49 am

Another repeated theme from Self Esteem -

Chuck to Patty (re: Graham): "You deserve better."

Hallie to Graham (re: Stephen Dieter's cooking class) : "We deserve better."

Rayanne to Jordan (re: the way he treats Angela): "She deserves better."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?