Interview with Claire Danes

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Interview with Claire Danes

Post by Sascha » Sep 30th 2002, 4:36 pm

In a recent interview with the Philadelphia Daily News Claire Danes talks about her upcoming movie and her thoughts about "My So-Called Life":

Posted on Fri, Sep. 27, 2002

TATTLING WITH... ONE SO-CALLED CLAIRE DANES

You probably know Claire Danes from her role as Angela Chase in the short lived, but influential TV high school drama, "My So-Called Life." After appearing in films like "Little Women" and "Romeo + Juliet," Danes took a break to study at Yale, where she majors in English. She'll appear in next year's "Terminator 3" but returned to acting in "Igby Goes Down," now in theaters, as Sookie Sapperstein, a Bennington student in a bizarre love triangle with two brothers.

The Daily News caught up with a very friendly Danes, by phone from MGM Studios in Hollywood.

Q: How's Yale? Had you been turning down film offers before "Igby"?

Danes:I had been getting a few offers but I wanted to concentrate on my studies. Three years had lapsed where I hadn't worked and I wanted to return to acting for a while. That's what I'm doing, and inevitably I'll go back and want to return to school.

Q: Do Yale dudes try hitting on you and pretend they don't know who you are?

Danes:I'm pretty naive and gullible in a lot of ways. Maybe intentionally. I'm not interested in my celebrity so I'm not too concerned with other people's interest in it.

Q: What was filming "Terminator" like? Did you touch Arnold's muscles?

Danes:Pretty wild. I was overwhelmed by the experience because I've never worked in this kind of genre before. I felt disoriented, but I got to spend the summer with Arnold. Nick Stahl was in it and he was great. There was quite a calm, relaxed atmosphere. I thought it would be testosterone ridden and explosions everywhere.

Q: You're probably most associated with "My So-Called Life." Do you feel like that show has had the same kind of impact on kids as "The Breakfast
Club" and all those John Hughes movies?

Danes:It's the most impactful thing I've ever done. It was a really intense experience for me. I was a miserable teen-ager and I felt kinda rescued by the show because all of my feelings were validated, confirmed, and allowed to exist. It was very cathartic in a lot of ways. That was not just masturbatory exercise. People were influenced by it and I was really honored by it. Molly Ringwald was a God to me. I was conscious to that parallel. The writing, directing was great and I'm still good friends with a lot of the cast.

Q: So in real life, would you go for Jordan Catalano or Brian Krakow?

Danes:I think Jordan first, Brian second. You go for the hottie and then you realize that there's more to love.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/4161454.htm

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 30th 2002, 6:34 pm

It's great to hear Claire refer to MSCL so warmly. Thanks for posting x
Mom. Streamers?

Megs
Lifehead

Re: Interview with Claire Danes

Post by Megs » Sep 30th 2002, 9:03 pm

sab wrote: Q: So in real life, would you go for Jordan Catalano or Brian Krakow?

Danes:I think Jordan first, Brian second. You go for the hottie and then you realize that there's more to love.

Word.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 1st 2002, 11:56 am

WOOHOO!!!!

Claire rules.

I hearby withdraw all my previous posts relating to Claire ignoring her past.

What a cool mama.
8)
SCF
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2002, 1:43 pm

Megs wrote:
sab wrote: Q: So in real life, would you go for Jordan Catalano or Brian Krakow?

Word.
Amen to that!

:D

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

yay

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Nov 22nd 2002, 1:51 am

yaaay claire!!! *applauds*

JodyK
Nicky Driscoll

Post by JodyK » Nov 26th 2002, 10:27 pm

Claire Danes is just awesome. I'm glad to hear that she is so intelligent and humble and loved Molly Ringwald as much as I did as a teenager.

Thanks for posting the article!!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 6th 2002, 10:04 pm

candygirl wrote:
Megs wrote:

Word.
Amen to that!

Whew!

So much is happening on the message board that it can take one weeks to catch up. I am going to Houston for Christmas this year and if I can't access this board I will be seriously behind.

Anyway, Megs and Candygirl I totally agree with you. As a man who is closer to the Brian end of the spectrum I appreciate your comments. Funny I remember a woman I was studying with in college tell me, "You know the problem with dating is that you go for the wrong guys and the nice guys you should be going for are right in front of you."

Word.

Takes people a while to get to the point that they are ready for their "Brian" (or female-Brian equivalent). As my wife is fond of saying, " I wished for a prince and instead got the frog. Oh well, princes are overrated."

And I replied, " Hey! Thanks....I think."

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 6th 2002, 10:05 pm

Whoops,

Forgot to say, I loved this interview and I am so glad that Claire Danes looks back fondly on her MSCL experience.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 6th 2002, 11:54 pm

I just couldnt get passed the "masturbatory" part....

:twisted:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 7th 2002, 3:49 am

:shock:

Dirty birdy!!

Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 7th 2002, 5:56 pm

candygirl wrote::shock:

Dirty birdy!!

Who ME? :oops:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 9th 2002, 7:19 pm

fnordboy wrote:I just couldnt get passed the "masturbatory" part....

Fnordboy,

I too had problems getting what exactly she meant by that. I thought about it some more, images filled my head... :oops:

Well I'll stop now. Weird though.

Lance Man

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Dec 9th 2002, 7:52 pm

lance wrote:
fnordboy wrote:I just couldnt get passed the "masturbatory" part....

Fnordboy,

I too had problems getting what exactly she meant by that. I thought about it some more, images filled my head... :oops:
:)
Claire Danes: [...] It was a really intense experience for me. I was a miserable teen-ager and I felt kinda rescued by the show because all of my feelings were validated, confirmed, and allowed to exist. It was very cathartic in a lot of ways. That was not just masturbatory exercise. People were influenced by it and I was really honored by it.
I think she meant that she wasn't the only one getting something substantial from the show: for her playing Angela was a catharsis (as Merriam-Webster puts it: "purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity and fear) primarily through art") and for the viewers the show was, well, a chance to see very real-like teenagers on TV and to identify with them -- to see that they're not alone with their thoughts and feelings.
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 10th 2002, 12:06 pm

sine wrote: I think she meant that she wasn't the only one getting something substantial from the show: for her playing Angela was a catharsis (as Merriam-Webster puts it: "purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity and fear) primarily through art") and for the viewers the show was, well, a chance to see very real-like teenagers on TV and to identify with them -- to see that they're not alone with their thoughts and feelings.
Yeah thats exactly what i took it to mean too. I just wish Claire would say 'masturbatory' (or any variations of) more often ;)