Any DVD boxsets available in UK?

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Rayanne
Frozen Embryo

Any DVD boxsets available in UK?

Post by Rayanne » Dec 1st 2002, 3:19 pm

Just wonderin if you guys knew of any website where I could buy the DVD boxset in UK Pounds???

Amy :)

orlando
Tino

Post by orlando » Dec 1st 2002, 9:41 pm

Why? What's the problem with using a US site?
I'm in the UK, ordered from DeepDiscountDVD.com, they are on their way and only cost £36. Incredible really.
Timothy M Chipping

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Dec 1st 2002, 9:47 pm

can you get around the customs charges if you order from within the UK? In that case, it might be well worth it!

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:47 pm

Hey there! Im in the UK too and have been scouring the net frantically for a site that sells the product and that is based in the UK. Basically you have two options (from my experience anyways). You can:
1) Pay £50 on Ebay and trust me, theres 5 or 6 sets floating on there at the moment. Personally this is what I have done but I still havnt received mine, the seller has said it has been delayed in the shipping from the US but should be with me by the 11th. Or
2) Go to http://www.dc-dvd.co.uk where they sell the set for a horrific £69.75. Its up to you which one you go for, im sure this set has been doomed right from the start!

Hope this has helped you!

Mark

Rayanne
Frozen Embryo

Post by Rayanne » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:59 pm

Well there are a number of problems buying from a US website - most are availble in GB pounds, which is very coniving coz probably 3/4's of the sites I tried offered me the boxset for around £50 which is ok - BUT if you're clever (like me :roll: ) you read the small print and hey ho -ONLY SOLD AS REGION 1 DVD. In other words, only usable in US and Canadian DVD players. UK need Region 2 DVD's!! Cheeky eh? I mean, I have a laptop that has a multiregional DVD player, but I'd rather watch it on my widescreen surround sound TV, so I really need a Region 1 DVD boxset.

Plus theres the huge amount of p&p most of them charge and then, as you have read above, not all are reliable and take your money then delay the posting of the item!!!

But thanks so much for the useful feedback and the web addresses - I'll check em out!!

HERES THE REVISED QUESTION - Anyone know a website that you think/know sells REGION 2 MSCL DVD BOXSETS? :wink:

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 2nd 2002, 3:07 pm

A website does not exsist because the set has not been made into a Region 2 format. The US were lucky enough to get it but us Brits havent got a chance in hell! You can get DVD Hacks from the net to permantly unlock your player into Multi-region mode, its either that or the crummy laptop viewing :D

StrangeAngelBoy
Frozen Embryo

Post by StrangeAngelBoy » Dec 2nd 2002, 3:47 pm

Heeellloooo are you 2 mad? :shock:

The MSCL boxset is region 0 :D which means you can play it on any player :D . I live in the UK and just received my set from amazon.com this morning, they have it incorrectly listed as region 1. All my discs work fine, you don't need to play it on a crummy laptop.

I paid about $74 which is under £50, i think thats a bargain for the MSCL set.
My world may look strange to you, but try looking...... oh what the hell, ok i'm weird.

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 2nd 2002, 3:52 pm

Holy s%&* really? I am yet to receive the set so um.. thts my excuse for getting it wrong! hehe :P

RodH
Tino

Post by RodH » Dec 2nd 2002, 4:37 pm

To my knowledge there are no UK based retailers for the set.

About 6 weeks before the Nov 19th release I emailed play.com to tell them about the release of the set.... I thought they'd be interested because they seem to stock even pretty obscure Region 1 titles (like Criterion editions) and also the fact that they sell the originally released single MSCL DVD, added to this that their prices are very good. I got a reply saying that their buyers were "already aware of the title" and that it would be up on the site to take pre-orders "in about a week". Alas, it never materialised, and I continued to contact them about it in subsequent weeks but they had "no information on it". So either they couldn't be bothered to get it in the end, fearing poor sales or simply couldn't get it from the distributors.

As far as the sets on ebay, I went on there a couple of weeks ago just out of curiosity (ebay UK) and there were no sellers at all based in the UK, only sets available to the UK.

In my opinion deepdiscountdvd.com is the best bet all-round. I just received my set today which was posted on the 21st. The cheapest price (£35), no customs charges, and reliable..... what else could you ask for?

Like others have already said, the set is region-free.

Hope this has been some help

blueone
Overlooked Sibling

Post by blueone » Dec 2nd 2002, 6:28 pm

If you go to Play.com they now have it on their site for £52,99: http://www.playserver2.com/play247.asp? ... tle=111095 and I think you get away with no taxes if you live in the UK.

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 2nd 2002, 9:19 pm

Ah this sucks, ive been checking Play.com for 2 months almost everyday to see if they had got the set and every night it was the same. NO! And now its on there and ive already given some dodgy geezer the money for it on EBay, AARRGGHHHHH
Doh doh doh!

Concettina
Jody Barsh

Post by Concettina » Dec 3rd 2002, 5:28 am

Any non Region 2 titles can be hit by customs if you order at Play.com. They changed their policy a few months ago, meaning all their US titles ship via the US, and the customs charges are the buyers responsibility. If you order anything above £18 it will warn you of this before you confirm your order.

Another UK retailer that you can order it from is Future Entertainment:

http://www.futureent.com/

However it's a huge £64.99 (delivered). They also charge your credit card straight away, regardless if it's in stock or not. It states will be available in 3-5 days, but from experience with FE that could mean a lot longer a wait than that. BUT I believe you'd be OK with the customs thing? I've never spent any more than £15 with them though, so can't be 100% sure - though all the titles I've ordered shipped within the UK.

Concetta

Bosewave
Tino

Post by Bosewave » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:47 pm

Ive been using Play.com for about a year and their fantastic, their products undercut most online retailers and even most high street stores. On top of that they dont charge shipping. Ive never had a problem with them at all, I would definately recommend them if you want to be safe about buying the product (Even if they are 'Temporarily Out Of Stock'!)
:D

Concettina
Jody Barsh

Post by Concettina » Dec 3rd 2002, 3:22 pm

I love play.com too - one of my #1 DVD retailers. However you still have to be careful of customs on any US DVDs (R1 or R0 if it's coming from the US) priced over £18.

If you click on 'Buy' for the MSCL set you'll see the following customs warning:

Title: Customs Information

The product you have selected will be shipped from North America and may be subject to import duties and taxes once it reaches your country. These and any additional charges must be borne by you. If you agree to pay these additional charges should they be levied click I AGREE below. If you do not wish to order this product click I DISAGREE below.

ithurts2look@u
Tino

Post by ithurts2look@u » Dec 12th 2002, 12:50 pm

Ok.. enough lurking for me! Time to come and add my 2 cents worth. I'm in the UK too, and I have to agree with Rod and say that Deepdiscountdvd is the best for UK customers to buy from. I recieved my set today(12th Dec), after it being shipped on the 27th Nov.

No customs charges, £35 and great packaging - what more could you want?? Play is a great site, but it seems a little steep for them to ask over £50 for the set, and then add other charges on top.

Hope you guys get the set.. I'm in heaven!
Gem
Angela: `You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you.'