Pre-Life: the Wonder Years

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Pre-Life: the Wonder Years

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 1st 2002, 8:03 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this since it doesn't deal with the show or the afterlife of the cast so I just flipped a coin :wink:

A long time ago, someone posted a thread about how much MSCL reminded them of the Wonder Years. The funny thing about that is in the episode "Eclipse" (where they go on a field trip to the planetarium and Kevin says he wouldn't change anything about Winnie and then admits that she's "too perfect" which prompts her to shoplift from the gift shop), there are two young lifers featured: AJ Langer as Mary Jo Genaro, "the first girl at McKinley to take her parole officer to the prom" and Devon Odessa as Sheila who wouldn't kiss Ding Dong eating Harlan for a million dollars but agrees to pay Mary Jo $25 to give him a HUGE hickey.

And who else is in this episode? Lindsay Sloane as Alice Pedermeir (who was sooooo annoying and the instigator of the truth or dare game on the bus) who later appeared on MSCL as Ruthie (Connie's friend in the Halloween episode) before going on to play Valerie on Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Big Red in Bring It On.

The circle of life or what?

:D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 1st 2002, 9:22 pm

It doesn't surprise me that two of the best shows ever on TV (obviously debatable) would share the same actors.

That is a great episode of The Wonder Years. One of my favorites.. One of the best is when Kevin writes in Winnie's year book, "I love you", and she writes in his, "Have a neat summer".... :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 2nd 2002, 5:47 am

BTW: Winnie Holzman wrote an episode of "The Wonder Years" (#44. "Cocoa and Sympathy")

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 6:15 am

And would you believe that it was an episode that was about a poll?

:D

You can read the transcript here: http://home.t-online.de/home/reynders/wy/episod44.htm

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:23 pm

Megs wrote:It doesn't surprise me that two of the best shows ever on TV (obviously debatable) would share the same actors.

That is a great episode of The Wonder Years. One of my favorites.. One of the best is when Kevin writes in Winnie's year book, "I love you", and she writes in his, "Have a neat summer".... :lol:
The Wonder Years is one of my favorite shows. I really wish they would release it on DVD.

I totally remember that yearbook episode and I can still hear Kevin's voice reading, "Have a neat summer???"

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Dec 2nd 2002, 4:04 pm

Personally I always liked the episode where Winnie breaks her leg in a car accident and Kevin climbs up to her window to tell her he loves her, and she answers back, "I love you too."
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 4:18 pm

We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?

:oops:

:cry:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 8:16 pm

Another great Wonder Years moment: when Kevin and Winnie are looking for each other at the dance and you hear the voiceover say, "All our young lives we search for someone to love. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering, if somewhere, somehow, there is someone perfect, who might be searching for us..."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:47 am

Speaking of Lindsay Sloane, she is starring in a TV movie called "Homeward Bound" with Devon Gummersall. This circle of life stuff just keeps getting better and better!

humanbtbox
Tino

Post by humanbtbox » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:15 pm

Oh goodness, I loved Wonder Years. Yeah, releasing that show on DVD would be fantastic. AS long as it was without all the drama that went with the MSCL DVD release. But all is well that ends well.
In dreams begin responsibilities.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:23 pm

candygirl wrote:Another great Wonder Years moment: when Kevin and Winnie are looking for each other at the dance and you hear the voiceover say, "All our young lives we search for someone to love. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering, if somewhere, somehow, there is someone perfect, who might be searching for us..."

That scene always reminded me of the World Happiness Dance. At the end of the episode and scene of both WHO and the Wonder Years, the camera pans up to a view of the entire gym and all the kids dancing, making Angela and Brian and Winnie and Kevin look small.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:45 pm

humanbtbox wrote:Oh goodness, I loved Wonder Years. Yeah, releasing that show on DVD would be fantastic. AS long as it was without all the drama that went with the MSCL DVD release. But all is well that ends well.
Actually I think that some of the drama is very similar - one of the things that would be a problem with a DVD release (besides the lame half-assed "Best of" and Christmas ones that were released a few years ago) is the musical clearance. They have already had issues with the Joe Cocker cover (which, by the way, John Lennon said was the best cover of a Beatles song ever) in cable reruns (they resorted to using a cover of the cover) and the "Best of" DVD is missing the theme from "The Natural" and "Up Around the Bend" (Credence Clearwater Revival) in the finale. The music is an integral part of the show and I can only imagine how irate I would be if they replaced "We've Got Tonight" with some generic crap song.

Speaking of which, I heard this was an issue with the Felicity DVDs. Has anyone bought the first season who can confirm or deny that the music was changed? I heard that the reruns on Lifetime or Oxygen or whatever channel have different music.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:48 pm

Megs wrote:
candygirl wrote:Another great Wonder Years moment: when Kevin and Winnie are looking for each other at the dance and you hear the voiceover say, "All our young lives we search for someone to love. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering, if somewhere, somehow, there is someone perfect, who might be searching for us..."

That scene always reminded me of the World Happiness Dance. At the end of the episode and scene of both WHO and the Wonder Years, the camera pans up to a view of the entire gym and all the kids dancing, making Angela and Brian and Winnie and Kevin look small.
The other reason these two episodes remind me of each other (besides the "gym room decorated by ASB" feel) is that the people who we are rooting for (Kevin/Winnie, Angela/Jordan, Rickie/Corey) aren't together.

:cry:

The people who ARE together in those last scenes we either don't like together/don't belong together (Rickie/Delia) or don't care about (I like Paul as much as the next person, but who cares who he is dancing with?!) i.e. Sharon/Kyle.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 3rd 2002, 5:57 pm

When Wonder Years first was on TV, I was pretty young, so I can't say that I went out of my way to watch it a lot. But my parents on the other hand, they watched it quite a bit, so whenever I was in the living room with them at the same time, we all watched Wonder Years as a family. (awwww.... :) ) I had the BIGGEST crush on Fred Savage! I think that's the first crush I ever had...on an actor at least. :wink:. I would love to see this show on DVD. How many seasons were there? The kids got up to late high school, didn't they?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:22 pm

There were six seasons total (although the first season only had six episodes) and the series ended with the Fourth of July holiday after their junior year in high school.

A great website with episode summaries and a lot of transcripts is Peter's Wonder Years Guide