Happy Thanksgiving

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Happy Thanksgiving

Post by lance » Nov 27th 2002, 11:51 pm

Hello all,

As I write this post it is about 10:36 for us in the States Thanksgiving will soon be upon us. Many of you may be sitting down to our national day of mandatory gluttony :wink: Have a wonderful meal and a terrific day.

For those of you not in the States I hope that November 28, 2002 is a great day for you as well.

All my best,

Lance Man :D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 28th 2002, 12:09 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

:D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 28th 2002, 12:27 am

Happy Turkey Day to everyone!

:D

Don't eat too much or spend too much this weekend.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

The Eternal Struggle

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 28th 2002, 1:13 am

Cranberry sauce or canned cranberry gelatinous... stuff.

:?:

This is the sort of thing that needs, nay, deserves a major university study.

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Nov 28th 2002, 6:42 am

I had a Thanksgiving once - back in November 1992.

Picture this: Boston, a HUGE Italian family & lots and lots of pies.

It was nice. I was a stranger and greeted with many kisses. It was like I'd walked right into a family TV show... I always reflect on this day when the US celebrate Thanksgiving. July the 4th was also a wicked celebration, but it was more of a party atmosphere as I was at the Mall in DC in a sea of tanned people and coolers full of beer...

God, Britain is so boring!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone xxxx
Mom. Streamers?

Paint it black
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Paint it black » Nov 29th 2002, 10:50 pm

Ok, im sure im not the first none american to ask this but what the hell is this whole thanks giving thing about? I understand its the whole pilgrims landing stuff, but other than that whats the deal? So you're people were rejects from britain? so you killed a whole bunch of indians? other than that nothing happend surely? It would be like us in england celebrating the Boer war, or the taking of hong kong, or any other of are many other colonial wars.
I think the moral of the story is that Britain rules!!! America Suck!!!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 30th 2002, 12:43 am

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to make such a jingoistic statement as "America suck" (sic) is extremely rude.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks. I won't go into the history of it since suffice to say that there are different interpretations of what happened, but the bottom line is that it is about giving thanks. The United States is not the only country that designates a day to give thanks - Canada celebrates their own Thanksgiving as well.

I am not a reject from Britain, and neither are the majority of people who are American citizens. Many people chose to leave Europe due to intolerance of their respective governments. Some were seeking freedom from religious persecution. Others wanted to escape poverty. Whatever their reasons, YOU, as person living in the twenty first century, have no right to apply your modern morals to the decisions they made over five hundred years ago.

As far as comparing American Thanksgiving to England celebrating their imperialism, that is like saying we shouldn't celebrate Christmas anymore because the Christians did many horrible things in the name of religion. Why should we celebrate the birth of Christ when it resulted in Christianity and hence a corrupt hierarchal system where people paid to have their sins pardoned, people the world over were enslaved by missionaries (who told them that their heathen ways aka their culture and history were sinful), and little boys are molested by church officials?

Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion but you don't have to be so rude and disrespectful in the way that you express your opinion.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 30th 2002, 3:56 pm

I would take what paint it black says with a grain of salt. My mother is from the UK and I have had various relatives visit from the UK during the Thanksgiving Holidays and none have ever said anything bad about. They all took it for what it was a time for celebration and for spending time with your family (being thankful for what you have). My relatives in UK even had a July 4th party for me one summer when I was in UK (American Flags, Hot Dogs, and Hamburgers) when I visiting them because I was home sick. So both the US and UK rule!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 1st 2002, 12:24 pm

girl_from_texas wrote:I would take what paint it black says with a grain of salt. My mother is from the UK and I have had various relatives visit from the UK during the Thanksgiving Holidays and none have ever said anything bad about. They all took it for what it was a time for celebration and for spending time with your family (being thankful for what you have). My relatives in UK even had a July 4th party for me one summer when I was in UK (American Flags, Hot Dogs, and Hamburgers) when I visiting them because I was home sick. So both the US and UK rule!
Hey all,

I generally take what many people here have to say with a HUGE grain of salt. I suspect in this case that Paint it Black was just trying to get a rise out of us "Yanks", correct?

I view the holiday as one of giving gratitude for ones blessings. Considering that this year has been harder than most here in Lanceland, I looked forward to this yearly ritual. As to the all the various sins that various administrations of 1st world countries may or may not have committed against the rest of the world, that my friend is a subject for another thread :D

Lance Man