the contradiction that we call Rayanne

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

the contradiction that we call Rayanne

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 25th 2002, 6:54 pm

Rayanne obviously has a lot of inner conflict, but I find it interesting that despite her claim in the pilot, "I'm not stupid," she doesn't want to be seen as smart.

In "Dancing in the Dark," her questions about Brian's volumeter ("So what's it called again?") are marginally less stupid than Rickie's questions ("Accupressure?").

In "Guns and Gossip," she deduces that perhaps Jordan was the one who started the rumor and confronts him by asking, "I mean, you're not talking it up like some low-life derelict cretin telling everyone you did her, are you?" I can tell you that at my high school (which was very college bound with a severe lack of guns or other weapons), I don't recall anyone using the word "derelict" in casual conversation.

Any other examples of Rayanne proving herself to be smarter than she acts?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: the contradiction that we call Rayanne

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 26th 2002, 3:26 am

I definitely think she is much smarter than she pretends to be. The biggest example I can think of is how she fits the role so well in Our Town. A stupid person wouldn't have been able to memorize the lines, let alone fully portray the character to a haunting point. While she doubts her ability and needs nudging from Angela, in the end, it's Rayanne who worked at those lines and learned them for the play.

"The Substitute" is another example. Rayanne isn't even in Vic's English class but joins in. Sure, we could argue that it's because Vic is so eccentric and the whole school is talking about his different socks and his controversial style of teaching. But I think one of the real reasons that Rayanne goes to his class is because he actually challenges students and gives them a chance to express themselves. We're never really sure which haiku she wrote, but we do find out that she didn't write the one that seemed to fit her personality.

And how about all the advice that she gives Sharon and even Brian? Sure, she might not be the brightest person on the planet, but she does seem to know the right thing to do or say at critical moments when others don't. When Sharon goes to school instead of going to the hospital, it is Rayanne who pushes her to be with her father. And when Brian is on the verge of crying, it is Rayanne who comes up with a way to make him smile.

Rayanne displays a different kind of smart, but it's definitely there.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 26th 2002, 5:04 am

Along with Hallie Lowenthal and Tino, Rayanne is one of the most powereful characters in the show, due largely to her sharp wits and superior interpersonal skills. As NIGHTJESSI has shown, she can exert a strong and precise influence over nearly everyone she meets, and she has the alacrity of thought to use this influence to great effect, as well as to her own amusement.

Of course, Rayanne's potential is held in check by her numerous vices, and in this way she resembles many famous yet tragic historical figures: artists, scientists, leaders, and heroes who could move mountains and change the course of nations, but only so long as they stayed sober.

There is, however, some hope for Miss Graff toward the end of the series; her near death experience and her drunken fling with Jordan make her aware of the seriousness of her predicament, while her newfound interest in acting finally provides the challenge, motivation, and self respect she needs to move forward.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 26th 2002, 1:45 pm

I don't want to sound too petty or nitpicky, especially since I haven't finished all the episodes yet...but...does anyone else hate the way Rayanne walks? With her legs so far apart and lumbering, sort of. I don't know - it just bugs me. Maybe it was just in the first half of the series, like I said, I haven't gotten past episode 9 yet.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 26th 2002, 2:28 pm

Kristin, I wouldnd't say RayAnne's gait exactly annoys me but I did notice at the end of Guns and Gossip she walks a little 'strange'.?. Just my observation. But back on topic, I think RayAnne is a very smart little cookie. I would label her as a 'survivor'. Maybe it's 'cause she and Amber were left to fend for themselves from early on but RayAnne always struck me as a person in control of her surroundings. Granted she loses this control in the presence of booze and/or drugs, but just b/c she can't control the addictions, she still seems in charge of things with regard to the group (Rickie/Angela). She is definitely a free-spirit. I often think of RayAnne as somewhat of a female-Tino. Tino is described as 'A good person to know, a guy who can get things for you, a guy who know what's going on and where it's at'. It seems to me RA has similar qualities on many occasions.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 26th 2002, 2:48 pm

Rayanne walks her toes pointed outward rather than straight ahead, which is very common among girls who have had ballet training. It's really noticeable when she is seen running down the stairs outside school (Strangers in the House). I'm not saying that Rayanne ever studied to be a ballerina - some people walk that way for no discernible reason - but if you ever happen by a performing arts high school you'll see half the girls walking like that.

Her gait is impeded by that HUGE bag she always has slung over her shoulder, so it's this weird toes pointed out leaning to one side with her hair going in every direction kind of thing. It's very distinct.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 27th 2002, 4:16 am

I noticed in Halloween that you can also see Sharon walks with her feet turned out (but not to the degree that Rayanne does) when she is trick or treating with Danielle.

In the same episode, you can see that Angela walks slightly pigeon toed - you can see that her left foot turns in when she is walking down the hall toward the gym.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 28th 2002, 12:22 am

I always thought that was a sign of someone's "sea legs" (better stability on oceangoing vessels). :wink:

Seriously, though, that scene toward the end of the pilot when the cop takes RA home really creeps me out. Reminds me of those gritty cop shows where they're hauling in the tattered remains of some old "pro". Kind of an evil portent of what might yet be...

On a more down to earth note, doesn't the actress A.J. Langer have a chronic musculo-skeletal pain condition? That might have shown up in her portrayal of RA, though I think if anything it adds to the character.
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 29th 2002, 8:23 pm

AJ Langer has had a condition called fibromyalgia since she was 12.

There was an article in USA Today (I know, such a bastion of "news") last year: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spo ... yalgia.htm

AJ was the coverperson of Fibromyalgia AWARE magazine's first issue earlier this year: http://fmaware.org/june19A.htm

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 2nd 2002, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the links, Candygirl. Somehow the fact that AJ uses surfing to treat her condition doesn't surprise me at all. :wink:

One other thing I noticed about Rayanne: If we extrapolate her birthday from the timing of Other People's Daughters, she is probably a Scorpio, a sign with which she shares many traits.
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:06 pm

At least she's a girl scorpio, which isn't too bad. Boy scorpios - eeek! Run girls, run!

:wink:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:08 pm

candygirl wrote:At least she's a girl scorpio, which isn't too bad. Boy scorpios - eeek! Run girls, run!

Ain't that the truth! My husband is a Scorpio! :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:10 pm

candygirl wrote:At least she's a girl scorpio, which isn't too bad. Boy scorpios - eeek! Run girls, run!

<sigh> us male scorpios are always getting shat upon.

:?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:11 pm

It's your overwhelming sexuality that scares us! (which is sort of a good thing, right?)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:13 pm

er..yeah...err...that's it! :wink:

candygirl wrote:It's your overwhelming sexuality that scares us! (which is sort of a good thing, right?)