Who was the best Actor/Actress in the sho

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
richard
Liberty High Student

Who was the best Actor/Actress in the sho

Post by richard » Aug 15th 2000, 4:37 pm

I was just wondering who people felt was the best Actor in MSCL.

I know a lot of people would say Claire Danes, but personally I feel that A.J. Langer was better. She played a part that was very different to herself and actually I think went deeper into her role.

That's just my thought. what's yours???

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Who was the best Actor/Actress in the sho

Post by adam » Aug 15th 2000, 10:07 pm

i think that bess armstrong "patty" was the best. she played a great bitch and a wonderful mother(at rare moments) but i think if she can make the viewers(us) pissed at her she is doing her job well. but all of the others were great also.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Aug 17th 2000, 1:21 am

Sorry --- but it was Claire Danes hands down. I think her career since MSCL has been a big disappointment, but she brought Angela to life --- one of the most amazingly interesting and real persons I have ever known (more real than some "real" people I have known). I can't see anyone seriously placing someone other than Claire at the top of this list.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Who was the best Actor/Actress

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 12:26 pm

I know this is another old one, but I'm surprised more people didn't post on this thread when it was originally brought up.

Anywayz, I would go with Claire Danes as the best actress. I know that seems like an obvious choice, but as has already been mentioned, I can't see anyone else playing Angela than CD.

As for best actor, that's a tough one since I haven't really seen the actors, except for Jared Leto and Devon Gummersall, in other roles. I thought the most powerful performance came from Wilson Cruz because he was able to convey the subtle changes that Rickie was going through during the series.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 13th 2002, 4:25 pm

I agree that Claire D made Angela REAL - like we knew her or something (and she is still part of our souls in my humble opinion) but it is unfair to say that she is the best actress because of course that's how it would come across given the depth of her role and character (and yes she is a great actress but also because of the support she had around her). I think 'Patty' and 'Sharon' are fantastic actresses and they are my favourites in this show - I love the way 'Patty' sarcastically laughs (she truely is a mother/bitch/guide etc and some of the faces that Sharon pulls (my apologies for not using the actors names) are so hard to actually act when you watch her....she totally gets lost in her character and she too becomes 'real'. I think Rayanne had a fairly easy role to play, as did Jordan. Mr Ketempsky was cool too I think - but then he had a great role too! Let's see Rickie probably had quite alot of extra acting to do as there were so many sides to his character. Brain, however, remains my favourite characer.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 7:03 pm

Picking a best actor/actress is definitely a bit of a subjective thing, Joanna. And in the case of MSCL, while I enjoyed Claire Danes' and Wilson Cruz's performances, the show would have never been as fantasic as it was if it wasn't for everyone from the ensemble cast to the wonderful writers and producers involved in this truly amazing show.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 14th 2002, 11:18 am

I agree. Everyone says that no one else could have played Angela, and while I don't doubt that Claire D is a talented actress (she obviously is as we know) how would we ever know if someone else could have been her now? We are used to 'our' Angela and can't picture her as someone else --- but if it HAD been someone else then we'd all probably be saying the same thing about her.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Jan 17th 2002, 4:05 pm

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. One of the things that makes a show like MSCL a rare moment in time is the unique chemistry that comes when the right story meets the right actor(s) and things come together in a way that is purely magical. No one else could have played Angela and attained the same alchemy. It's as if Claire Danes was born to play Angela, a kind of destiny. She may wish that Angela Chase was just a footnote in a long career, but unfortunately for Claire, I doubt she will ever make another ripple in the Universe as special as Angela Chase.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 16th 2004, 2:27 pm

This show was very well cast. In my opinion I think everybody on the show acted very well for the charector they played. I dont think the show would be as liked with different people playing the parts. Although I liked everyone's acting in the show, Claire Danes and Jared Leto were the ones who got most of the fame and more movie roles.

As far as the best actor/actress on My so called life, I would have to probably go with Angela. Claire Danes plays the part so well.