Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 19th 2002, 9:16 pm

So-Called Loon wrote:Ahh, what the heck is the wildfeed? :?
A quick cut and paste job (because these answers were much better than mine):

What are Wildfeeds?
-Wild feeds are unannounced, free (not scrambled, no subscription required) satellite transmissions of sporting events, news and syndicated shows. They are found on C-band satellite systems. Satellite TV and radio channels are transmitted back to earth via a transponder on a satellite.

Huh? Explain in English, please...
-A Wildfeed is a special transmission of a show that the networks use to get that show to other, more local television stations. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is shown on UPN networks, but not all of your local stations will carry it at the same time, pre-empting it for local news, sporting events, etc. They tape the wildfeed the network sends out over the C-band satellite system and then they are able to insert their own commercials and show it when they want.

OK, what is C-band?
-C-band is a range of satellite transmission frequencies that TV and radio channels use to transmit to satellite dishes. Most television broadcast stations have these types of systems that's how they get most of their programming.

Cool! I have a dish! How can I get this C-band stuff on my dish at home?
-Sorry, you can't. C-band frequencies require that you have a "full-size" dish, which is different from a subscription, home service dish.

Wait... a "full size" dish?
-The size of the satellite dish you need depends on where you live in the United States or Canada. In the Central United States, you can use a dish that has a diameter of between six and eight feet. On either coast, an eight to ten-foot dish is recommended. UNFORTUNATELY, a lot of housing subdivisions and such have property guidelines and bylaws that make full-size satellite dishes illegal (or at least really hard to obtain and install without tons of paperwork and extra expenses).

EEEwww... sounds big AND expensive
-Oh, yeah Dishes range in price, but the average cost is $2,000. That's for the physical dish itself, not including installation, transponders (tuners) and other equipment needed. You can by a dish from a local satellite TV retailer, usually listed in the phone book under "Satellite" or "Television."

So how YOU getting it, bud? How can I get access?
-Most universities, colleges, and some of your bigger schools will have a C-band satellite system. They use it mainly for teleconferences and PBS programming, BUT the geeks in the Audio-Visual department do occasionally get a sneak peek at a program they wanna watch ahead of time, or if they just want to watch something commercial free. Yep, I'm one of those AV geeks. I do the BtVS wildfeed, another guy does Boston Public, and a third watches F-1 races live.

Say I've found someone with the C-band system that is willing to help me get the wildfeeds for Buffy. What do I need to know to get it?
-If they have a system, they know what you'll need: the time and day of the broadcast, the satellite name that they're hooking up to (T5, F4, S6, etc.), and the transponder number, kinda like a channel on a TV. It's a number from 1-24 and either a vertical or horizontal polarity (V or H)

This is all so cool! Where can I find out more info?
Go to http://www.orbitmagazine.com for wildfeed schedules and more technical info!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 19th 2002, 9:21 pm

Soooo in a nutshell, this is way better than what a lot of people post prior to an episode - speculation is fine in theory, but when you really want to know what happens (and you are as impatient as I am), only wildfeed will do. The people who have access to the wildfeed are nice enough to post a very detailed description of an episode about a day and a half before it actually airs. Buffy wildfeed is usually posted by 8am EST Monday so you can guess how I start my week!

:D

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 20th 2002, 12:24 am

candygirl wrote:

What are Wildfeeds?
-Wild feeds are unannounced, free (not scrambled, no subscription required) satellite transmissions of sporting events, news and syndicated shows. They are found on C-band satellite systems. Satellite TV and radio channels are transmitted back to earth via a transponder on a satellite.

Huh? Explain in English, please...
-A Wildfeed is a special transmission of a show that the networks use to get that show to other, more local television stations. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is shown on UPN networks, but not all of your local stations will carry it at the same time, pre-empting it for local news, sporting events, etc. They tape the wildfeed the network sends out over the C-band satellite system and then they are able to insert their own commercials and show it when they want.

OK, what is C-band?
-C-band is a range of satellite transmission frequencies that TV and radio channels use to transmit to satellite dishes. Most television broadcast stations have these types of systems that's how they get most of their programming.

Cool! I have a dish! How can I get this C-band stuff on my dish at home?
-Sorry, you can't. C-band frequencies require that you have a "full-size" dish, which is different from a subscription, home service dish.

Wait... a "full size" dish?
-The size of the satellite dish you need depends on where you live in the United States or Canada. In the Central United States, you can use a dish that has a diameter of between six and eight feet. On either coast, an eight to ten-foot dish is recommended. UNFORTUNATELY, a lot of housing subdivisions and such have property guidelines and bylaws that make full-size satellite dishes illegal (or at least really hard to obtain and install without tons of paperwork and extra expenses).

EEEwww... sounds big AND expensive
-Oh, yeah Dishes range in price, but the average cost is $2,000. That's for the physical dish itself, not including installation, transponders (tuners) and other equipment needed. You can by a dish from a local satellite TV retailer, usually listed in the phone book under "Satellite" or "Television."

So how YOU getting it, bud? How can I get access?
-Most universities, colleges, and some of your bigger schools will have a C-band satellite system. They use it mainly for teleconferences and PBS programming, BUT the geeks in the Audio-Visual department do occasionally get a sneak peek at a program they wanna watch ahead of time, or if they just want to watch something commercial free. Yep, I'm one of those AV geeks. I do the BtVS wildfeed, another guy does Boston Public, and a third watches F-1 races live.

Say I've found someone with the C-band system that is willing to help me get the wildfeeds for Buffy. What do I need to know to get it?
-If they have a system, they know what you'll need: the time and day of the broadcast, the satellite name that they're hooking up to (T5, F4, S6, etc.), and the transponder number, kinda like a channel on a TV. It's a number from 1-24 and either a vertical or horizontal polarity (V or H)

This is all so cool! Where can I find out more info?
Go to http://www.orbitmagazine.com for wildfeed schedules and more technical info!
Wow,

My brain hurt just looking at the size of this post. Thanks though for explaining it all. Makes more sense now....I think? :wink:

Lance Man

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 20th 2002, 4:35 am

candygirl wrote:

What are Wildfeeds?
-Wild feeds are unannounced, free (not scrambled, no subscription...
Wow. I thought those huge dishes had all but disappeared. Folks next door used to have one and now the pole serves as a place to hang bird houses.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

katy
Overlooked Sibling

questions related to "Sleeper"

Post by katy » Nov 20th 2002, 4:25 pm

Questions for the Court:

1. Do you think Giles is going to die? If not, how will he get out of this predicament? If so, how will they use Anthony Stewart Head for the remaining episodes he has promised to do?

2. The man in the apartment where the girl had been killed, who was then stabbed himself. I'm sure he's been on Buffy and/or Angel before, and I'm almost positive he is a Watcher...does anyone know who he is (character, actor name, etc)? or what episode he was previously in?

3. So far we have seen Morphy appear as Warren, Glory, Adam, the Mayor, Drusilla, the Master, Buffy, Cassie, and Spike (and possibly Joyce). All of these people have some connection to death, the supernatural, and/or power. Do you think Morphy can only turn into people with such connections, or do you think it can turn into anyone (i.e. someone like Xander)?

Denie
Between Names

Post by Denie » Nov 20th 2002, 5:24 pm

Does anyone else think that Morphy (the "big bad") on Buffy is the same "big bad" on Angel this season? Both could be described as "from beneath you it devours." Or maybe they're 2 similar evils working together! Oooo....I smell crossovers coming! :D
If only there were a button somewhere that I could push. To force me to stop talking.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

R.I.P. Ripper

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 21st 2002, 7:24 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Giles as a ghost, haunting Buffy with his dry British wit. And I could see the two Big Bads being connected, though the network split makes crossovers difficult.

Arggh! I've missed too many episodes this season to know what's going on! Wretched malfunctioning VCR! :(
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 22nd 2002, 4:32 am

I recorded the most recent episode of Buffy. Now i remember why i don't usually see it. I'm usually watching Gilmore Girls.

:roll: No cable or digital TV. I didn't know enough about the overall plot to know the details of what was going on. The fuzzy picture didn't allow me to get any of the subtlties, and the static only allowed me to get about 30% of the dialog. :(

Alas. if not digital TV, my house needs the TV antenna rewired. Did it myself the first time but i guess i used crappy cable. Looks like it's gonna take several hours of scrambling on my belly in the crawlspace to rewire.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: R.I.P. Ripper

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 22nd 2002, 5:06 am

Nostradamus wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Giles as a ghost, haunting Buffy with his dry British wit. And I could see the two Big Bads being connected, though the network split makes crossovers difficult.

Arggh! I've missed too many episodes this season to know what's going on! Wretched malfunctioning VCR! :(
Although http://www.studiesinwords.de has transcripts, the newest ones aren't usually available right away - buuuuut http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com has great episode recaps - start catching up!

Click on the "shows" link at the top of the page and then go down to Buffy. The default is to show the 15 most recent episodes, but you can go to the drop down box and go back as far as you like.

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Nov 22nd 2002, 12:19 pm

I LOVE televisionwithoutpity.com!!

But if you are looking for the most recent transcripts, I found a site that posts them about 2 days after the episode airs...
http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/season7/season7.php

This site also has transcripts going back to the beginning...just go to the Buffy menu and pick a season! It's not quite as user friendly as studiesinwords (since you have to select a season, as opposed to being able to access all seasons at once), so I only use it for the most recent episodes. Of course, they do also list writer, director, producer, guest star information at the bottom of transcripts, which can be nice if you are trying to remember whether someone has appeared before (such as Halfrek, Sandy, etc).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 22nd 2002, 3:36 pm

katy wrote:I LOVE televisionwithoutpity.com!!
They are hilarious!! And they remind us not to take tv too seriously.

:D

Their recaps are often funnier than the shows.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Nov 26 episode

Post by lance » Nov 26th 2002, 10:29 pm

Wow,

I just got through watching tonight's episode of Buffy. So people all kinds of questions:

Is Principal Woods evil or just under a "trigger" command like Spike was/is?

Of the original three "bad" boys from last year, what do you think about Andrew being the one to survive so far?

Will Buffy be able to save Spike?

Hmmm, enquiring minds want to know. Does seem pretty clear though that the watcher organization has been pretty much wiped out, not to mention potential slayer candidates.

The one thing that bothers me is that we will have to wait at least two weeks to see what happens next :D

Oh well,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Nov 26 episode

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 27th 2002, 1:08 am

lance wrote:The one thing that bothers me is that we will have to wait at least two weeks to see what happens next :D
The next episode is airing January 7, 2003.

:cry:

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Nov 26 episode

Post by katy » Nov 27th 2002, 12:46 pm

lance wrote:Wow
my thoughts exactly...along with ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh!
lance wrote:I just got through watching tonight's episode of Buffy. So people all kinds of questions:

Is Principal Woods evil or just under a "trigger" command like Spike was/is?

Of the original three "bad" boys from last year, what do you think about Andrew being the one to survive so far?

Will Buffy be able to save Spike?
I'll see your questions and raise you three more:

1. Is Giles alive or dead? There was no confirmation one way or the other.
2. How many watchers and slayers in training are left? Can they still be organized without the Watcher’s Council?
3. How is the First Evil finding the slayers in training? I mean, it would be easy enough to identify the ones that the Council has already found, but what about the others? Is there some connection between a slayer’s power and the First Evil’s power?

As for Andrew being the last of the Trio to survive, it almost makes sense...I mean, after all he always was the most overlooked of the three. They still refer to him as "Tucker's brother." I'm just glad we'll still get to see Jonathan every once in a while, even if he is part of the First.

I just want to take a moment to say how ecstatic and, strangely, surprised I was by last night's episode. The "surprised" was strange because I have been predicting that the shape-shifting evil was the First, that the monks were the Harbingers, and that the girls being stabbed were slayers in training since they first appeared this season. I have been drawing parallels between Angel in Amends and Spike throughout this season. A vampire with a soul being haunted by manifest spirits who are trying to get him to go evil and, eventually, kill Buffy. It's all so similar, and yet so different...a trademark of Buffy (take an old storyline and tweak it enough so that it comes off completely different).

And yet, I was surprised all the same. I was not expecting the Watcher's Council to be blown up, or the First to be raising a vampire...a "real" vampire...taking us "back to the beginning." So cool! I mean, I had guessed that the Big Bad this season was going to be the First Evil, but as Giles said in Amends "you can't fight the First, Buffy. It's not a physical being." BUT, if the First brings forth hoards of demons to reek havoc upon the world, then Buffy CAN fight the demons...it's what she was made for. And maybe, just maybe, in the process we'll discover what a slayer really is.
candygirl wrote: The next episode is airing January 7, 2003.

:cry:
I was sad too, but then, I thought...what would I rather have, some random episode in the middle of December? or Buffy returning sooner in January with episodes that fully explore this spankin' new menace? Personally, I'd rather have the latter. The waiting is hard, but I have the feeling this may end up being the best season of Buffy ever, and I'd rather have that for the rest of time (as soon as it's released on DVD) than a quick fix now. Of course, I also always save dessert for last, eat flavored candy such that I save my favorites for last, etc, etc.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride ('cause it just may be the last one)...or as Spike put it "Hey, bring the wife and kiddies. Come see the show 'cause it's going to be a circus."

We have a lot to look forward to, but for now, I'll just sit back and rewatch the first 9 episodes till I can quote them by heart.

- sorry for the super-long post. I get a little over-excited sometimes -

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 10th 2002, 12:10 am

Okay JPP13 - I want to hear how you want Xander to end the series (or the season). He has been bugging me for...actually for years, now that I think about it. With the exception of saving the world last season, he has been really immature and holier than thou. When he finally told Anya to quit using how he left her at the altar as an excuse, I kind of cheered because Anya needs to quit griping about Xander and move on, BUT I thought it was hypocritical of Xander to say such a thing since earlier in the same episode he was complaining about being a dateless nerd, which, IMHO is him doing the same thing as Anya - feeling sorry for himself. And realistically, Anya didn't have many options since she doesn't know how to do anything else and all her human friends were Xander's friends first.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?