Claire Danes movies..

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
ShiseidoRed
Frozen Embryo

Claire Danes movies..

Post by ShiseidoRed » Oct 23rd 1999, 6:51 pm

Which movies of Claire's does everyone like the best?
I loved William Shakespears Romeo And Juliet, To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday, I Love You, I Love You Not..

..luminescence..
<A HREF="http://www.topcities.com/groove/luminou ... uminous</A>

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Claire Danes movies..

Post by oldguy » Oct 24th 1999, 8:35 am

Frankly, I think Claire has been a major disappointment since leaving MSCL.
She's been in a lot of lame movies --- Sorry, but I didn't like any of the ones
you mentioned. My impression is that she got a major attitude after her
initial success with MSCL and has been a head case ever since. In retro-
spect, I think the quality of MSCL appears to have had a lot more to do with
the writers, producers, and other actors compared to all the initial praise
heaped on Claire Danes.

ShiseidoRed
Frozen Embryo

Post by ShiseidoRed » Oct 24th 1999, 3:22 pm

Do you mean she got a big ego from the success of MSCL?
What makes you think this?

..luminescence..

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Oct 24th 1999, 5:07 pm

Well, I think she does have a big ego. Despite the big efforts by many
folks back in 1995 to get ABC to do a second season of MSCL, Claire
Danes said she wouldn't be back even if they did a second season.
She was already moving on toward her "big" future film career. I kind
of expected bigger things from her after MSCL, but my impression is
that she hasn't risen to the potential she showed with MSCL.

ShiseidoRed
Frozen Embryo

Post by ShiseidoRed » Oct 24th 1999, 5:31 pm

Yeah, I'd heard something about her not wanting to do MSCL anymore :(
It's sad..
I do also think she was at her best during the show, and I didn't like some of her movies that much..

..luminescence..

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 5:21 pm

I know I'm resurrecting another old one, but I'm curious now that it's been some time and Claire got a $2 million paycheck for doing the disappointing Mod Squad, which I've never seen in its entirety and have no desire to see fully.

The only Claire movies I've seen are William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet and To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, and I absolutely loved Claire in Romeo + Juliet. Then again, I'm always a sucker for tragic romance. I did tape Les Miserables that Claire was in, since it aired on Bravo last week, but I haven't had a chance to watch my tape yet.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 14th 2002, 11:29 am

I think I have only ever seen her in 'Little Women' (I know, I know, I STILL haven't seen Romeo and Juliet!)......and she looked too much like Angela for me to contect with her new character in this film....on hang on, I have seen her in 'How to Make An American Quilt' aswell and again she still looked like Angela to me - oh and I can't remember if it was Jared Lato or William McNamara that starred in this film? Anyway his character got a girl pregnant and she ended up going to stay with Claire Danes' character?? It's been some years since I have seen this film....and boy, does it slate men or what! Doesn't make you hold out much hope for the future (but then again, neither did Jordan or Graham!!!). Anyway back to the first point - I would like to see Claire in something now as I think she looks alot different these days - and being the same age as her it is interesting to see how people begin to look different depending on their different journey's through this so-called life!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 15th 2002, 2:22 am

She hasn't done a good movie since Little Woman, and that was nearly 8 years ago. Some people may say Rainmaker was good, but that movie wouldn't have been any different without her character. Looks like leaving MSCL killed her career, artistically. Hopefully Jodie Foster can get her back on track.

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 15th 2002, 4:11 am

Joanna, Little Women is airing in the States this week, so I am hoping to catch it and, of course, discuss it with all of you. Part of the reason why Claire looks so much like Angela in LW is probably because MSCL and the flick came out in the same year.

As for 1995's How to Make an American Quilt, I took a look on the Internet Movie Database, to answer your query, and it lists Jared Leto as the one in this movie. Now I'll definitely have to check it out. Just the chance to see these two in another project has piqued my interest.

If you want to keep up on Claire's films or just check and see what else she's been in, check out her IMDb page at <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/Name?Danes,+Claire"> ... +Claire</A> . There are three 2002 projects listed there: Flora Plum (the project that dTheater mentioned), Igby Goes Down and It's All About Love. Hopefully one or all of these will help her get back on track.

BTW, when I was perusing the trivia at IMDb on Claire, I found there two items to be particularly interesting:

"She came to L.A. to be cast on a role in Schindler's List (1993), when she was discovered for the role in "My So Called Life". Spielberg finally gave her the role but she turned it down, because they weren´t willing to give her schooling in Poland."

and

"Auditioned and was the first choice for the role of Rose in Titanic (1997)."

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Jan 15th 2002, 4:10 pm

this is the list of movies claire was in from imdb i'll give my comments on them in () next to them.

Flora Plum (2002) .... Flora Plum (was delayed because russle crow hurt himself while training or something like that)
Igby Goes Down (2002) .... Sookie Sapperstein (hasn't come out yet but has a few big actors and is suppose to be good)

It's All About Love (2002) .... Elena (havent heard anything about this)
Hours, The (2001) .... Julia (same as above)

AFI's 100 Years... 100 Stars (1999) (TV) .... Herself
Brokedown Palace (1999) .... Alice Marano (not that good clair said herself on one talk show that it wasn't and said in a mag that they changed the script and it was bad)
Mod Squad, The (1999) .... Julie Barnes (ok but too manny stupid lines trying to talk like there in the 70's still)
"Hercules" (1998) TV Series (voice) .... Amphithea (??? don't know)
... aka "Disney's Hercules" (1998) (USA)
Misérables, Les (1998) .... Cosette (the movie was good she had a small part but did good)
Polish Wedding (1998) .... Halczia 'Hala, Halina' Pzoniak (strange movie but ok for a laugh )
Rainmaker, The (1997) .... Kelly Riker (VERY VERY small role but a good movie)
... aka John Grisham's The Rainmaker (1997)
U Turn (1997) .... Jenny, Toby's Girlfriend (VERY VERY VERY small role and a VERY strange movie)
Mononoke Hime (1997) (voice) .... San, The Princess Mononoke (just her voice but it is a great anime movie one of the top ten over all as critics say i tink people should see this movie but you might not like it because it is strange and it is an anime)
... aka Princess Mononoke (1999) (USA: US version)
Romeo + Juliet (1996) .... Juliet (she did a good job but a few parts where i just wanted to slap her but a good movie i've seen it like 75 times)
... aka Romeo and Juliet (1996)
... aka William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (1996) (USA: complete title)
To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday (1996) .... Rachel Lewis (very good movie she did a real good job i think)
I Love You, I Love You Not (1996) .... Daisy/Young Nana (havent seen it all but it was ok from what i saw not shown much on tv and i have a million channels)
"Lifestories: Families In Crisis" (1995) TV Series (saw this not a movie a half hour show she was a sister of a lesbian and said like two lines)
Pesky Suitor, The (1995) .... Lisa (??? no idea what this is)
Home for the Holidays (1995) .... Kitt 'Kitten' Larson (never saw it)
How to Make an American Quilt (1995) .... Young Glady Jo (same as above)
More Than Friends: The Coming Out of Heidi Leiter (1994) (TV) .... Katie Leiter (this is the hbo thing where she was the sister of a lesbian)
... aka Coming Out of Heidi Leiter, The (1994) (TV)
Little Women (1994) .... Elizabeth 'Beth' March (didn't see it)
"My So-Called Life" (1994) TV Series .... Angela Chase (age 15)(do i need to say anything here)
Dreams of Love (1990) (????)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 16th 2002, 1:33 am

Thanx for taking the time, adam, to post feedback on as many of Claire's movies as you could. That will definitely be helpful when I am deciding what to check out on cable.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 30th 2003, 10:50 am

OK. In an effort to expand my DVD collection (as if I need an excuse), I have started collecting the Claire film catolgue. I have Romeo+Juliet, Brokedown Palace, MSCL (of course) already. The Mod Squad is being shipped. Polish Wedding; I Love You, I Love You Not; To Gillian on Her 34th Birthday; and Igby Goes Down are on order through Amazon.com. There are a few others needed to complete the collection. I'm sure I'll get them, too. I guess I'm taking a chance buying these movies when I haven't seen them, but at least I'll have a Claire movie or two to watch if I'm in the mood. It could be worse, I could have a Jodie Foster obsession.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 2nd 2003, 1:26 am

I guess Claire's school break gave her pause. Igby Goes Down and The Hours are the best career moves she's made since MSCL and the only 2 good movies she's made really all together.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 2nd 2003, 1:35 am

Although, Claire had a VERY small part in The Hours. Wonderful movie, though. I saw it last night and I really loved it. The whole cast is excellent.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 4th 2003, 12:05 am

I have Mod Squad, the 3rd of Claire's movies I have obtained. I am not reading any more reviews. Please don't tell me you love it or hate it. Actually, I might let watching it linger until the weekend. I want to view this one untainted. But, I probably will fire up the DVD player sooner. I might even share my own movie review. We'll see how creative I can be....
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/