audio out of synch with video

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
jackdaw5
Frozen Embryo

audio out of synch with video

Post by jackdaw5 » Nov 26th 2002, 2:54 am

I have so far viewed the first 3 Volumes and found that the audio in Episode 10 ("Other People's Mothers") is slightly out of synch with the video. I am eager to know if this defect is more widespread than my particular disk.

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Nov 26th 2002, 5:00 am

At times lipsynch may also be due to the player. I have not had the chance to review this episode myself.

john
Nicky Driscoll

Post by john » Nov 26th 2002, 3:52 pm

I watched this very episode last night and noticed the same thing. It was very prevalent and quite annoying. I may have noticed it in other episodes as well, but don't remember which ones.

On another note...I forgot how much the Chase's had sex!! They shag in almost every episode!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 26th 2002, 3:59 pm

john wrote:I watched this very episode last night and noticed the same thing. It was very prevalent and quite annoying. I may have noticed it in other episodes as well, but don't remember which ones.
I dont remember noticing this at all when i watched that episode. That might be a player issue.

I usually notice those type of things and get annoyed very easily about it, so i think i would remember it. But it is possible i might have noticed it in a scene or two and just chalked it up to a bad overdubbing job.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 26th 2002, 4:12 pm

john wrote:On another note...I forgot how much the Chase's had sex!! They shag in almost every episode!
You say that like it's a BAD thing!

:wink:

To quote George Michael, "sex is natural, sex is good, not everybody does it, but everybody should, sex is natural, sex is fun, sex is best when it's one on one"

:D

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 26th 2002, 4:23 pm

Since my DVD player is all packed up ready for my house move i can't check this - but wouldn't it be great if it was the CD that's at fault and they all have to be sent back?

Or is that just me?

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

Re: audio out of synch with video

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 26th 2002, 6:32 pm

jackdaw5 wrote:I have so far viewed the first 3 Volumes and found that the audio in Episode 10 ("Other People's Mothers") is slightly out of synch with the video. I am eager to know if this defect is more widespread than my particular disk.
Yes, it is also that way on my set. It's just a millisecond off, but it's enough to annoy me too. As for sending back any defective discs, if you want to, go ahead and deal with Ross about that. Personally, I don't want to wait another 9 months while they try to figure out how to get it right and press new discs. The millisecond may be annoying, but it's something I can deal with.

phelix
Yearbook Team

Re: audio out of synch with video

Post by phelix » Nov 26th 2002, 7:17 pm

Calhoun07 wrote:
jackdaw5 wrote:I have so far viewed the first 3 Volumes and found that the audio in Episode 10 ("Other People's Mothers") is slightly out of synch with the video. I am eager to know if this defect is more widespread than my particular disk.
Yes, it is also that way on my set. It's just a millisecond off, but it's enough to annoy me too. As for sending back any defective discs, if you want to, go ahead and deal with Ross about that. Personally, I don't want to wait another 9 months while they try to figure out how to get it right and press new discs. The millisecond may be annoying, but it's something I can deal with.
This kind of problem would be on ALL sets. It's not a bad disc, it's just another example of BMG's sloppy effort.

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Nov 26th 2002, 8:48 pm

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is.... I GOT MY DISCS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The bad news is that you're right, the audio is out of sync.

Now for some more good news. There is a second 2.0 sountrack on the disc and it isn't screwed up. The problem is only with the 5.1 soundtrack.

The following graph shows the two soundtracks "side-by-side". THe top one is 2.0 stereo strack, the bottom one is the DD5.1 track. THe time index is 1:10 (1min 10sec). These two should line up identically, but they don't. For 2.0 track, the first burst occurrs at 1:10.213 while the DD5.1 track occurrs at 1:10.176. That's a 37ms difference (with the DD51 track being early)

It takes a while for my computer to rip and decode the various tracks, so I can't do this on every episode. My advice to anyone experiencing audio problems is to switch to the 2.0 track. BMG should be ashamed of themselves, and so should Jason since he OKed this disc.

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Nov 26th 2002, 8:53 pm

Wow, I hadn't come across this myself since I listen to the 2.0 tracks. I like them better. The 5.1 tracks are.....weird to me.

db

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Nov 26th 2002, 9:18 pm

hey phelix, do you know if the 5.1 track is always being decoded? the bit rate could be realy high and slow down the overall performance. just a guess. but the 2.0 track shouldnt be oof, that just sux.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Nov 26th 2002, 9:44 pm

sid_barrett wrote:hey phelix, do you know if the 5.1 track is always being decoded? the bit rate could be realy high and slow down the overall performance. just a guess. but the 2.0 track shouldnt be oof, that just sux.
DD is a fixed rate format (448kbps in this case). My analysis is done from a 'rip' or direct digital copy from the DVD disc to my computer. It is not done in realtime (somewhat faster actually) and is totally unaffected by any performance issues. The DD51 track, as encoded, is off by 37ms. I only decoded the first 5 minutes, and every point in that 5 minutes is off by 37ms. I even repeated this analysis with another non-mscl disc to verify that my tools were not causing the 37ms delay.

I for one would like to know how they created that 5.1 track. The best you could have had at the time of the show's creation is dolby surround, which gives you up to 4 channels: left, right, center, rear. Now, to create a 5.1 track, they either had access to some kind of unmixed multitrack recordings, or (more likely) they pushed the dolby surround enconded stereo soundtrack through a magic box to seperate the 4 channels and then starting making stuff up form there. I'm not surprised people don't like the 5.1 track; the show wasn't created with 5.1 in mind.

BTW, here's a useless fact. There is no CSS encryption on the disc. Surprising given how paranoid stuidos are. I wish I could tell if macrovision was enabled, but I don't have a tool for that.

InAnotherUniverse.com
Tino

Post by InAnotherUniverse.com » Nov 26th 2002, 10:39 pm

Just two things about sound...even though I have yet to get my DVD's :cry: and believe the above to be true...

1) Being a Music Tech student I know that the easiest way to create a 5.1 'feel' is by delaying the sound to the back speakers a little, therefore creating an effect as if the sound was in an actual room i.e. contains reverb.

2) Also DVD players can make the audio slip slightly (PS2 is great at this!) although it seems to be irrelevant in this case...

Anyway...anyone with their copy...check this out by disabling your rear speakers, as the above sender only gave two audio files as opposed to all 6 (5 speakers and a sub woofer)...I do believe the above post...just wanna be sure! It may just be the rear speakers in the above post...if so then it is just a great illusional effect to make it seem like the manufactorers did a 5.1 mix....although far be it for me to doubt AU's ability :roll:

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Nov 26th 2002, 11:43 pm

InAnotherUniverse.com wrote: 2) Also DVD players can make the audio slip slightly (PS2 is great at this!) although it seems to be irrelevant in this case...
This is especially true if your DVD player is downconverting a 5.1 track to regular stereo.
Anyway...anyone with their copy...check this out by disabling your rear speakers, as the above sender only gave two audio files as opposed to all 6 (5 speakers and a sub woofer)...
I'm not sure you understand the problem being reported. The entire audio track is out of sync with the video, not just one or two channels. Vocals don't quite match up with lip movements, stuff like that. My comparison was between a 2.0 track and a 5.1 track downconverted to 2.0 by my software (I don't have the tools to deal with DD channels seperately). I compared the right channel for both of these tracks. While I didn't make a picture of it, I saw the same problem on the left channel.

BTW, I don't have a 5 channel setup (only the three front speakers) and I noticed it. The DD 5.1 track is fubar'd. Jason should contact BMG about this. This is the kind of error you issue a recall for (or at least fix in future pressings).

InAnotherUniverse.com
Tino

Post by InAnotherUniverse.com » Nov 26th 2002, 11:51 pm

above answered most of my questions

I did think that the prob outlined by your above post was that being reported but I wanted to be sure that you hadn't used the rear speakers for a comparison because of the differance in phase I pointed out above...if what you are saying is true then I agree totally! (As much as one can without a copy of the DVD's to hand!)

When I do get mine I could do a 5.1 check and compare it to the standard stereo to prove our case...

maybe I should have wrote IF rather than WHEN!!!!!